imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
Yeah, but the Pluto Nash pistol looks like a toy too [as does the Fifth Element Zorg ZF-1, which apparently has an AKS-74U inside it somewhere], so it's hard to judge just on that basis. It might be I'm a little defensive of that page since I rewrote it [it used to look like this], but I think if we're going to include all-prop guns like the Eraser EM-1 on the basis of potential for confusion, it's justifiable. Plus most people have no idea how the BFG actually works in the games, so it's even educational!
I wrote that info about the Zorg ZF-1 after reading a magazine interview with Simon Atherton, who was the armorer on "The Fifth Element". He mentioned in the interview that the ZF-1 was fitted with an AKS-74U for the scenes where Gary Oldman fired the machine gun component. You can actually see the conical flash hider of the Krinkov in this picture (just below the yellow rocket):

As for the "Pluto Nash" pistol, I believe I read somewhere that it was based on a Para Ordnance 1911 variant, though don't quote me on that as I can't confirm it.

As for the BFG, it would be great if we had a source confirming one way or the other what it was. The person who wrote that it was just a prop didn't cite any sources. Perhaps the BFG really does have a real gun component in it somewhere.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:34 AM

Well personally I would love to see pages like Guyver:_Bio-Booster_Armor go bye bye. Unlike the BFG the fictitional weapons will never appear anyplace else and there is really no confusion over the reality of the weapon.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

But that page does help any curious viewers to know the weapon is fictional, and not real.

And 12 Gauge Magnum? Couldn't they just grow a brain and say 12 Gauge 3 1/2" Magnums?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:41 PM

I say leave the goddamm BFG page. It's educational about the Guns in the Doom Movie and the games. It also says how the Big Fucking Gun got into popular culture. I say leave it.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:50 PM

I say nuke the BFG page.
Also 2/3 of it's film "appearances" are it being mentioned, that hardly qualifies as actually appearing in the film.
11 out of 18 of it's videogame "appearances" arent even the BFG but just some powerful weapon.

NUKE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 08-22-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I say nuke the BFG page.
Also 2/3 of it's film "appearances" are it being mentioned, that hardly qualifies as actually appearing in the film.
11 out of 18 of it's videogame "appearances" arent even the BFG but just some powerful weapon.

NUKE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Calm down. It's as valid as any other fictional weapon page.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:47 AM

I believe the guidelines for fictional weaponry is that they actually have to plausibly be mistaken for a real gun, no-one is going to mistake the BFG for a real weapon.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 AM

Quote:
I believe the guidelines for fictional weaponry is that they actually have to plausibly be mistaken for a real gun, no-one is going to mistake the BFG for a real weapon.
We've been through this already. The movie's resin BFG prop could concievably have had a real gun under it, which means it merits an article. The Pluto Nash pistol looks distinctly more fake and is still a real gun, as does the Zorg ZF-1 pod weapon system shown above on this very page.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:56 AM

I contest that as it was quite obvious that the shooting of the BFG was CG but whatever.

Either way the BFG article has alot of crap that I think needs to be cleaned out.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I contest that as it was quite obvious that the shooting of the BFG was CG but whatever.

Either way the BFG article has alot of crap that I think needs to be cleaned out.
Yeah, but the shooting of the Barrett in Jurassic Park III was also CG, so that doesn't mean a lot. And I don't think it needs cleaning out at all; certainly there's a lot of information there about weapons based on the mechanics of the BFG, but that's basically similar to having guns based on the mechanisms of other guns on the same page, as per our various pages of knock-offs and derivative firearms. It's fine how it is.