imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 12-31-2010, 06:31 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Split

Would anyone mind if I split up the PPD-40/PPsh-41/PPS-43 page? There's no reason they should be together other than the fact that they were Soviet WWII weapons in 7.62x25mm. They otherwise don't really have anything else in common.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned

I was under the impression that there was a direct lineage between all those guns.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That's like saying the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine are of the same family and type, just different caliber.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
I was under the impression that there was a direct lineage between all those guns.
I thought that too. don't do ANYTHING until it has been approved. Sure some of the other countries' copies or descendants of the gun are also listed, but that kinda makes sense.

Comparing the M1 Garand to the M1 Carbine is ridiculous. One was NOT the descendant of the other. The M1 Carbine was an independent design directive to replace the pistol as the primary support weapon for secondary units or vehicle drivers.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:42 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I thought that too. don't do ANYTHING until it has been approved. Sure some of the other countries' copies or descendants of the gun are also listed, but that kinda makes sense.

Comparing the M1 Garand to the M1 Carbine is ridiculous. One was NOT the descendant of the other. The M1 Carbine was an independent design directive to replace the pistol as the primary support weapon for secondary units or vehicle drivers.
It'd sort of be like putting the Thompson, the Reising, and the M3 on the same page, because they're all American and in .45 ACP. From the bit of research I did, the PPD is based on the the MP28, and the PPSh and the PPS were designed by different guys. It's true, one is more simplified than the other, but not necessarily based on one another. According to the Modern Firearms page, the 35 round mags from the PPSh and the PPS aren't even compatible with one another.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I wasn't comparing that, I'm saying I've actually met people who have mistaken these guns together cause they have the same M1 in their names.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I wasn't comparing that, I'm saying I've actually met people who have mistaken these guns together cause they have the same M1 in their names.
It can be confusing. My buddy, a fellow shooter, had always assumed that the M1 Carbine was just a carbine version of the M1 Rifle. (Which would be a fair assumption to make.) It wasn't until two years ago that I explained the difference to him.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
It'd sort of be like putting the Thompson, the Reising, and the M3 on the same page, because they're all American and in .45 ACP. From the bit of research I did, the PPD is based on the the MP28, and the PPSh and the PPS were designed by different guys. It's true, one is more simplified than the other, but not necessarily based on one another. According to the Modern Firearms page, the 35 round mags from the PPSh and the PPS aren't even compatible with one another.
It's not like that at all. The Tommy gun is an open bolt delayed blowback, the Reising is a closed bolt delayed blowback, and the M3 is a simple blowback.

I always thought the PPS was a simplified PPSh which was a simplified PPD. And if the PPD is so similar to the MP28, should it be on the MP28 page?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:27 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
It's not like that at all. The Tommy gun is an open bolt delayed blowback, the Reising is a closed bolt delayed blowback, and the M3 is a simple blowback.
Well, yes. I was citing it as an absurd example.

Quote:
I always thought the PPS was a simplified PPSh which was a simplified PPD. And if the PPD is so similar to the MP28, should it be on the MP28 page?
If we're worried about too many pages, we can consolidate the MP18/MP28/Lanchester/PPD-40 onto one page. Neither of them are that big.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
If we're worried about too many pages, we can consolidate the MP18/MP28/Lanchester/PPD-40 onto one page. Neither of them are that big.
Uh, no. And don't start being like POI (or as I like to call him POS). That suggestion is again.. RIDICULOUS.

Who said we were worried about too many gun pages? You're creating a controversy out of nothing. And if we were to remove gun pages (I would LOVE to eliminate all video games and the weapons that only appear (in real life) in the mind of a video game programmer, like those prototype Russian or Chinese weapons, whom NO ONE has ever seen in a real movie, handled by HUMAN BEINGS.