imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 AM

Default Guide to muzzle loaders

I was thinking, after finishing my current project (Gettysburg, and possibly Gods and Generals if I can muster up the energy to sit through it - it's not a great movie), that I might put together an ID guide / basic intro to muzzle loaders. Alot of users here seem to have trouble with them - I've seen LOTS of pages with any and all muzzle loaders just tagged Brown Bess because it's the only muzzle loader the creator knows. Thoughts?

Incidentally, I'm amazed at how many cool, obscure, Civil War weapons I keep finding in Gettysburg. It's a pleasant surprise.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM

There's already pages to help identify bolt action rifles and pump action shotguns, and muzzle loaders are even less understood (as you pointed out). I'd be interested in the guide just for information's sake.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Although I can't imagine I'd work on too many pages for movies in which all the guns (or even any) are muzzle-loaders, I would greatly appreciate this project, if you got time for it.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:43 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

NYLES
I was thinking, after finishing my current project (Gettysburg, and possibly Gods and Generals if I can muster up the energy to sit through it - it's not a great movie), that I might put together an ID guide / basic intro to muzzle loaders. Alot of users here seem to have trouble with them - I've seen LOTS of pages with any and all muzzle loaders just tagged Brown Bess because it's the only muzzle loader the creator knows. Thoughts?

Incidentally, I'm amazed at how many cool, obscure, Civil War weapons I keep finding in Gettysburg. It's a pleasant surprise.

I think that would be a great idea. By the way Nyles are you going to create a page for the Ross rifle? I was going to, but you should have the honors. It's Canadian as are you. It's an older rifle and you're a collector of older firearms.

And I agree about Gods and Generals. It's not very good. Expecially that long drawn out part where Stonewall Jackson and his slave are praying together. Painful and hokey as hell.

Last edited by Jcordell; 10-04-2010 at 01:45 AM.