imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Main Page quotes - should we limit the profanity?

Despite the fact that some of these quotes are hilarious, there seems to be a LOT of foul language. And that is the first thing many 'first time visitors' see. I was hoping we could stick to iconic quotes and leave the really profane ones out. I think we're immune to the constant "F-bombs" but it may be 'offputting' to new visitors or VIP visitors. I'd like a higher level of class for the main page.

Thoughts anyone?

Before anyone says it, yes, I expect Oliviera to say "What fucking profanity? I don't see no fucking profanity!" LOL!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 AM

Alright for everyone's convenience here are all the quotes that I found questionable, below the quote in bold will be why>

Quote:
-
'''The Terminator ([[Arnold Schwarzenegger]]):''' Twelve gauge autoloader.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk ([[Dick Miller]]):''' That's Italian. It can go pump, or auto.
'''The Terminator:''' The .45 Long Slide, with laser sighting.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' These are brand new; we just got them in. That's a good gun. Just touch the trigger, the beam comes on and you put the red dot where you want the bullet to go. You can't miss. Anything else?
'''The Terminator:''' Phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' Hey, just what you see, pal.
'''The Terminator:''' Uzi nine millimeter.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' You know your weapons, buddy! Any of these is ideal for home defense. So...which will it be?
'''The Terminator:''' All.
'''Pawn Shop Clerk:''' I may close early today. --''[[The Terminator]]''
-
(too long)
-
'''Eddie ([[Nick Moran]]):''' They're armed.
'''Soap ([[Dexter Fletcher]]):''' What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?
'''Eddie:''' Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit! --''[[Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels]]''
-
profanity
-
'''Dog ([[Frank Harper]]):''' What the fuck is that?
'''Mickey ([[Ronnie Fox]]):''' It's me Bren Gun.
'''Dog:''' Couldn't you have thought of something more practical? --''[[Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels]]''
-
profanity
-
'''Yuri Orlov ([[Nicolas Cage]]):''' Of all the weapons in the vast Soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9-pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure: No one was lining up to buy their cars. --''[[Lord of War]]''
-
too long
-
'''Bullet Tooth Tony ([[Vinnie Jones]]):''' So, you are obviously the big dick. The men on the side of ya are your balls. Now there are two types of balls. There are big brave balls, and there are little mincey faggot balls. Now, dicks have drive and clarity of vision, but they are not clever. They smell pussy and they want a piece of the action. And you thought you smelled some good old pussy, and have brought your two little mincey faggot balls along for a good old time. But you've got your parties muddled up. There's no pussy here, just a dose that'll make you wish you were born a woman. Like a prick, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with you. And the fact that you've got '''"Replica"''' written down the side of your guns, and the fact that I've got '''"Desert Eagle point-five-oh"''' written down the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now...fuck off! --''[[Snatch]]''
-
profanity, also too long
-
'''Alexa "Lex" Woods ([[Sanaa Lathan]]):''' Seven seasons on the ice, and I've never seen a gun save someone's life.
'''Adele Rousseau ([[Agathe De La Boulaye ]]):''' I don't plan on using it.
'''Alexa "Lex" Woods:''' Then why bring it?
'''Adele Rousseau:''' Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. --''[[Alien vs. Predator]]''
-
Awkward quote
-
'''Mr. Bill Hertz ([[Paul Giamatti]]):''' Come on Smith, guns don't kill people -- but they sure help. --''[[Shoot 'Em Up]]''
-
anti-gun quote
-
'''Mr. Smith ([[Clive Owen]]):''' Aren't guns just ''fucking great'', Hammerson? --''[[Shoot 'Em Up]]''
-
profanity
-
'''Hammerson ([[Stephen McHattie]]):''' You know, Hertz, people love guns because America is a land of opportunity where a poor man can become rich and a ''pussy'' can become a tough guy, if he's got a gun in his hand. Now, I'm hopin' you're not just a pussy with a gun in your hand.
'''Mr. Bill Hertz ([[Paul Giamatti]]):''' Oh no sir, no, no I am not. I am a tough guy with a pussy in my hand. --''[[Shoot 'Em Up]]''
-
profanity and portrays gun owners as weak/cowards
-
'''Korean Thug Kim ([[Walter Wong]]):''' What the fuck is this? We said a machine gun!
'''Tom Ludlow ([[Keanu Reeves]]):''' It ''is'' a machine gun.
'''Korean Boss Kim ([[Ken Choi]]):''' The kind you can carry!
'''Tom Ludlow:''' Couldn't get any of those. This baby's got character. Korean War vintage. Maybe even mowed down one of your grandpapa-sans when he was charging the wire at Inchon. --''[[Street Kings]]''
-
profanity
-
'''Nick ([[Aaron Eckhart]]):''' Why didn't you use a silencer, Casey?
'''Casey ([[Thomas Jane]]):''' You wanna go door-to-door and tell everybody my fucking name?!? --''[[Thursday]]''
-
profanity
-
'''Fogell ([[Christopher Mintz-Plasse]]):''' What's it like to have a gun?
'''Officer Michaels ([[Seth Rogen]]) :''' It's like having two cocks. If one of your cocks could kill someone. --''[[Superbad]]''
-
profanity
-
'''The Caller ([[Kiefer Sutherland]]):''' You're in this position because you're not telling the truth.
'''Stu Shepard ([[Colin Farrell]]):''' No, I'm in this fucking position because ''you have a gun''! --''[[Phone Booth]]''
-
profanity
-
'''Mikaela Banes ([[Megan Fox]]):''' I'll drive, you shoot! -- ''[[Transformers]]''
-
lame quote that does not even have to do with guns
-
'''Sheriff Deputy #1:''' Who in the fuck do you think you are?!?
'''Sheriff Deputy #2:''' He thinks he's Rambo.
'''Det. Ray Tango ([[Sylvester Stallone]]):''' Rambo... is a pussy. -- ''[[Tango & Cash]]''
-
profanity, also no relation to firearms
-

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 11-11-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

I put in the Tango and Cash quote. Because Sylvester Stallone saying Rambo is a pussy, only he can say that. He must have a very good sense of humor.

I was getting tired of seeing the same old quotes. I added the Lethal Weapon one too.

As far as the profanity in the quotes. Most movies with guns are rated R with profanity. So most user checking out the site probably don't care. We could always censor the quotes.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
As far as the profanity in the quotes. Most movies with guns are rated R with profanity. So most user checking out the site probably don't care. We could always censor the quotes.
I liked R Rated movies when I was a preteen. Just like how any other kid did not delay seeing a film just because the MPAA said that it was not recommended.

Anyways even if its a quote, for profane language to be the first seen thing on the main page.......umm yeah
Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I say for profanity, we don't swear unless we're really angry about it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Why the hell should we limit profanity? Most of the films we got on the site are R rated ones. Besides, it's not like the profane quotes have too much "fucks" in them.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Because it's unprofessional.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 AM

I say we only do the iconic quotes too, and cut out the stupid ones that have nothing to do with guns. I wouldn't mind seeing shoot em ups antigun nonsense quotes gone too. Having famous quotes from movies a lot of people will ahve seen makes sense.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:16 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well for quotes that show up on the front pages, the swears are what give them the punch. Censoring them would just take away the effect.,

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-12-2009, 02:29 PM

As I have said, this site isn't aimed (pew pew) at kids. I wouldn't mind if the long quotes go. Or the ones which have nothing to do with guns. But the profanity isn't a problem. Look at the Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels quotes. One has a fuck in it. The other has tit in it. Seriously, I can't believe people actually think those two are actually bad because of their profanity.