imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 08-23-2009, 02:35 AM

I think you are forgetting that the Barrett in Jurassic park was an actual gun.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I think you are forgetting that the Barrett in Jurassic park was an actual gun.
Yes, but my point is the weapon shooting being a special effect has nothing to do with whether the prop itself is or is built on a real gun or not. Terminator 2 shows SPAS-15s and a Vickers gun firing energy bolts and Calico M960s turned into over-under plasma guns. Star Wars had Sterlings and a Mauser C96 firing laser beams. An obviously fake discharge doesn't prove the weapon itself is similarly fake.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 AM

All the weapons you just listed are real weapons with only slight modifications to them.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
All the weapons you just listed are real weapons with only slight modifications to them.
Now you're just being pedantic.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

I'm with you on this Vangelis. The BFG article has quite a bit of work added to it, and it confirms to curious users whether or not a real weapon was the build up around the gun or not.

Even if a gun is wrapped in plastic/resin/etc., it doesn't mean it will fire a blank. Noise ordinance or other factors could lead to the gun not using blanks. Like it's been said, the BFG hasn't been confirmed to not be built around a real firearm, so simply guessing isn't acceptable. Plus, it seems easier to build up a weapon around a real gun than to start from scratch.

And while AdAstra does have a minor point (in JP3 they just added a CG muzzle flash, in Doom it was CG super flash and melted set pieces), we can't simply assume. You all know what happens we you assume.

With T2 though, the guns actually did fire blanks, but the flash was turned blue and laser bolts were added in post-production. In some cases, same with Star Wars (you can see Han Solo's DL-44 cycling sometimes).
Old 08-23-2009, 04:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So my thing is that there is no point in putting the BFG or any sci fi gun if it isn't build around a real live weapon. And giving it its own page, no matter how detail is more or less one big trivia and would confuse the hell out of new users.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-23-2009, 04:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
So my thing is that there is no point in putting the BFG or any sci fi gun if it isn't build around a real live weapon. And giving it its own page, no matter how detail is more or less one big trivia and would confuse the hell out of new users.
But it tells them that it isn't a real weapon, which helps decrease confusion. Even though it isn't a real world gun, any user suspecting it is can see the page and discover it isn't. Also, we put it in a fictional category and put quotations in the titles to show it is fictional. We basically made the fictional pages idiot proof, so I don't know who it would confuse.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM

In my opinion pages that have scifi/fantasy guns like the BFG are just magnets for 12 year olds.

Also IMO anyone who mistakes this>

or this

or this

or this

For a real gun Isn't exactly the sharpest tack in the box.

Literally every weapon there fits the whole profile/imfdb policy that if it is an alien ray gun/laser/scifi gun than it is not eligible to be on IMFDB.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Exactly, I like to think we're all mature people and it's best not to include things like the BFG here no matter how "educational" it seems

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

At least the movie version deserves mention. And the revolver.