imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Amatuer Fps Loadout

Me and my friend are designing a FPS for PC as a sort of a spare-time project. It involves 2 teams: Government, a sort of generic space marine type, and Rebels a ragtag bunch of misfits using cheapshit guns and converted construction tools. These are the weapons per team; light, medium and heavy pistols, machine pistols, PDW, Assault rifle with underslung GL, Scoped assault, shotgun, sniper, Grenade launcher. Please, tell me what you think of the weapon selection. Keep in mind that these are only guns I found 3d models for, and thought were cool.
Also, Pretend that Ruger is like a 45 acp instead of a 22lr.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 AM

Designing your own fps?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:27 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Wait, so did you guys do these models yourself? As an ex-gun modeler for "Half-Life" mods, I find them quite impressive!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Wait, so did you guys do these models yourself? As an ex-gun modeler for "Half-Life" mods, I find them quite impressive!
Oh god no, I just imported them into Gmod and posed them out. I guess we'll have to model them up eventually, but for now, these are just placeholders.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
Oh god no, I just imported them into Gmod and posed them out. I guess we'll have to model them up eventually, but for now, these are just placeholders.
Ah, OK. Out of curiosity, where did you get most of them? I know there are zillions of sites nowadays to get new weapons skins for popular games...any particular one you used?

As far as your weapons selection goes, here is my opinion:

(1.) I actually think you should keep the Ruger .22, which would be perfect for assassins.
(2.) I don't like the AR-style weapon you chose because it has one of those crappy thumbhole stocks. Most civilian gun owners in the U.S. don't use those anymore, let alone a group of military/PMC types. I'd find a model that has a more "politically incorrect" collapsible stock.
(3.) For the Government, I would ditch the VP70 (which is now an aging, dated design) and go with a Glock-18 or something. And for the Rebels, the Mauser C96 seems a bit too dated even for a ragtag group- try giving them something like the Stechkin APS if you're looking to give them a compact machine pistol of Eastern Bloc origin.

How does that sound?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM

I got most of the models from
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=60980
The c96, VP70, and FiveSeven are from
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=16747

I wanted the ruger 22 because I like the look, but a 22 would have no stopping power for a Medium pistol.
I was actually thinking, for the rebel heavy pistol to be a sort of Mare's leg sort of thing, or like a sten, cheap looking. I actually don't think the pictures are the most recent ones I made. I'll upload the new ones soon.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
I got most of the models from
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=60980
The c96, VP70, and FiveSeven are from
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=16747

I wanted the ruger 22 because I like the look, but a 22 would have no stopping power for a Medium pistol.
I was actually thinking, for the rebel heavy pistol to be a sort of Mare's leg sort of thing, or like a sten, cheap looking. I actually don't think the pictures are the most recent ones I made. I'll upload the new ones soon.
The way I see it, the advantage that the .22 would have is its silence. Even 9mm suppressed guns are still pretty loud, but .22s that are suppressed are very quiet.

I think the Stechkin would be a good choice for the rebels' machine pistol, but it's your call, of course.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Never underestimate the power of a .22. Besides, how fair is it too be stealthy if your gun is still just as powerful? Trying to sneak up on someone and score a head shot or be good enough to empty th 10 round mag in seconds should make it fair. Besides, I quote an SAS operative on this, "When he gets two in the head and one in the chest, he's not going to know that difference."
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM

"Two in the chest, one in the head, knock him down and make him dead"
I thought that the rebels, for the machine pistol, would convert nailguns to fire distances (ENGAGE SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF) and the grenade launcher would be wrapped in copper wire and attached to a badass battery to be a pseudo RPG.
As for the stealthy approach, I guess that's fair.
I think I'll pose out a new loadout. I'll upload in a bit.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM

I've downloaded several weapon mods for Gmod in an effort to create a really awesome gm_atomic scene, but I never finished it. I can send you some good mods for handguns and rifles, and I have some you have there in the screencap, but not every gun is available (I couldn't find a decent Glock 17, figure that). Also, that 1911 is reversed, so you need to fix that if you can. Any requests you have for certain guns I'll see if I can help you find them.