imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 11-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Anyone remember the level "No Russian?" Some guy wrote an article on how bad that was. Like badly written and poorly executed.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...out-that-level
Old 11-20-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcatrazz View Post
Anyone remember the level "No Russian?" Some guy wrote an article on how bad that was. Like badly written and poorly executed.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009...out-that-level
I started unloading on those civvies without hesitation the moment I had control. I wonder what that says about me?

At any rate, I have to agree with what was said in one of the comments. "Either everything is okay or nothing is okay." Media today (whether it be movies, video games, or whatever) has a habit of sugar coating things that we're supposed to think are "good", while censoring many aspects of what we're supposed to think is "bad". Take pirates in Somalia as an example. Everything we're told about them is intended to make us label them as the bad guys, when, in fact, the majority of these guys are doing what they're doing as a means of survival, a last resort to eat in an impoverished, war-torn country.

If any of that makes sense...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I agree with a lot of points, but MW2 is still a fun game. Sure it's pushing towards being a Rainbow Six game without the squad command in the gameplay, but a lot of the back story is going over there and elements that didn't seem like the first MW game. I think there is such a thing as over analyzing something and these articles is one of them. Sure, there are dozens of holes I can poke at the game, but I bought it, I thought the No Russian mission delivered on what it promised. And since you the player did the mission like any other, are you supposed to go in-depth about yourself because you played a game that has you killing random people? Grand Theft Auto has been doing it for years and it's always gotten complains, but it sells.

The game did sell 340 million dollars, the highest grossing piece of gaming media to date. It beat out GTA IV in the first week. Sure, the single player campaign is only 5 hours long at best, there are a lot of holes in the plot, technically nit-picks and mulitplayer complaints, but as a whole, it's not a bad game. It's a pretty good game. I just don't believe it deserves all the hype.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-20-2009, 03:25 AM

It couldn't live up to the hype, but it is one of the finest online games around can't wait for modern warfare 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4
Old 11-20-2009, 05:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I've seen this vid already and it's funny as hell. Anyway, even thought MW2 at the core isn't able to live up to the hype, it did sold over 1 million copies and racked up to 340 million dollars in sales. That's a new record holder.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM
IMFDB Admin

I need to bring up my nit-picks of this game here too

Ok, I get the fact that all electronics that were turned on would have been knocked out after the EMP struck, but...when I picked up a rifle with an ACOG, the lights were out, leaving only a black reticule, which is bullshit because ACOGs don't work like that. They are not battery powered and as such would not be affected by the EMP. I also find it hard to believe that none of the soldiers had flashlights that were most likely turned off during EMP. Another nit-pick is that your weapon after the EMP was an M4 with an EOtech mounted on it. Why couldn't the creators have your character just flip up the iron sights? You had to pick up an entirely different M4, also coincidentally like yours with an M203, with iron sights up for that kinda of thing.

This is one of the many minor lazy details they could have done. Like for the ACR. I know for a FACT that the ACR's bolt release switch is in front of the trigger. It was designed so when you insert a fresh mag, all you have to do is press forward on the release right in front of the trigger! But instead, if you are empty, you insert new mag and then with your FIRING HAND, take it off the pistol grip and pull the charging handle back! One, no soldier would is RIGHT handed would taken their trigger hand off the grip unless they need it to fix a malfunction. They would use their NON firing hand to pull the charging handle since the charging handle and in fact the entire RIFLE was built for both hands to operate. But no, IW wanted us to waste precious seconds to see the wrong hand pull the charging handle. I got shot so many times using the ACR when I am empty completely because I can't just press the bolt catch with my trigger finger as the gun was DESIGNED to!

To add more fuel to the rant fire, the Glock 18 is an ok gun, I'll admit that in small bursts. But when you reload, you don't press the slide release, which would make getting back into action faster, but instead you're treated to your character pulling the slide back! This is only good for range shooting a Glock, since the slide release is pretty weak, factory wise, but in combat, pulling back the slide takes too much time, in fact, there's a couple seconds delay when reloading an empty Glock. That's why I try to not reload empty weapons. Always mid magazine change. It'll save frustrations for you watching your character take his damn time reloading and doing unneeded things like pulling the slide back or in the ACR's case, use right hand instead of left hand instead of pressing trigger finger forward.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
For gamers, Keith David is more known as the Arbiter in Halo. Foley was a character seen in previous Call of Duty games
My point is that he has played a role in a movie about an actual war, not that he was another videogame character.

The other "Foley" Was Cpt. Foley from the first game and the United Offensive pack, and was voiced by Steven Blum, not Keith David, so technically, no, Keith David's Sgt. Foley is a new character to the franchise.

Which brings us to CAPTAIN PRICE, the most awesome British war veteran over 100 years old to ever exist in a game! He will never die!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
IMFDB Admin

Oh and more nitpicking. It never ends. They didn't give the SCAR its own Grenade launcher attachment and did what they did in the previous game. All rifles except for the AK, gets the M203. This is bullshit for IW and more lazy on gun details. They paid so much attention on dual wielding that they didn't give the SCAR it's own GL. But then let's get to the Tavor, oh there's a piece of work with the M203 attachment there. In real life, the M203 attachment to a Tavor looks like this

but in the game, they made it look like THIS!

I might be able to forgive them for the SCAR getting an M203 than it's own GL attachment. But they obviously didnt do enough research on the Tavor to see that they are supposed to swap out the handguard with the M203 and strap it to the barrel, not slap the GL on the bottom of the gun. It doesn't work like THAT!

Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Ok, I get the fact that all electronics that were turned on would have been knocked out after the EMP struck, but...when I picked up a rifle with an ACOG, the lights were out, leaving only a black reticule, which is bullshit because ACOGs don't work like that. They are not battery powered and as such would not be affected by the EMP. I also find it hard to believe that none of the soldiers had flashlights that were most likely turned off during EMP. Another nit-pick is that your weapon after the EMP was an M4 with an EOtech mounted on it. Why couldn't the creators have your character just flip up the iron sights? You had to pick up an entirely different M4, also coincidentally like yours with an M203, with iron sights up for that kinda of thing.
Add to that the seemingly non-existent source of visible and IR laser light on weapons in the game (though, to be honest night vision is way too bright to be of any real use, but that's not the point). I mean, seriously, maybe I'm in the minority, but what's so difficult in giving us an accurately-modeled M4 (example: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/41/12...d534641fb7.jpg)?

Quote:
Oh and more nitpicking. It never ends. They didn't give the SCAR its own Grenade launcher attachment and did what they did in the previous game. All rifles except for the AK, gets the M203. This is bullshit for IW and more lazy on gun details. They paid so much attention on dual wielding that they didn't give the SCAR it's own GL. But then let's get to the Tavor, oh there's a piece of work with the M203 attachment there. In real life, the M203 attachment to a Tavor looks like this

but in the game, they made it look like THIS!

I might be able to forgive them for the SCAR getting an M203 than it's own GL attachment. But they obviously didnt do enough research on the Tavor to see that they are supposed to swap out the handguard with the M203 and strap it to the barrel, not slap the GL on the bottom of the gun. It doesn't work like THAT!
I completely agree on the Mark 13 EGLM for the Mark 17. True, I'm a 203 fan (as I've said previously on here), but it just doesn't look right on a SCAR.

But regarding the Tavor, attaching the 203 like in real life would have been impossible because mounting system on the in-game model was derived from that on an airsoft version of it, not the real thing.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman

Last edited by Spartan198; 11-20-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:08 PM

another movie refrence, getting the last kill with a harrier is the "true liar" challenge.

On a side note, i really hope the bushmaster acr takes off, there produced about 45 minutes from me.