imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Mazryonh Mazryonh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Elmore Leonard is also a category. Stick, Joe Kidd, 3:10 to Yuma, Hombre, Stick, Get Shortly, Last Stand at Sabre River, Justified, Jackie Brown, Out of Sight and more. The man is a machine.
Well, at least I would like to see an Author category created for the late great Philip K. Dick. Of films based on his writings we have Blade Runner, Total Recall (both versions), Minority Report, Paycheck, Next, already on the wiki. I'm sure A Scanner, Darkly will also be included eventually. And Ridley Scott once expressed interest in making a sequel to Blade Runner.

I'm sure that eventually more films that are adaptations of work from a single author will be put on this wiki, so an Author category will see more use eventually.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Jcordell Jcordell is offline
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Well, at least I would like to see an Author category created for the late great Philip K. Dick. Of films based on his writings we have Blade Runner, Total Recall (both versions), Minority Report, Paycheck, Next, already on the wiki. I'm sure A Scanner, Darkly will also be included eventually. And Ridley Scott once expressed interest in making a sequel to Blade Runner.

I'm sure that eventually more films that are adaptations of work from a single author will be put on this wiki, so an Author category will see more use eventually.
Well you can create the category for Philip K. Dick if you want. It is a Wiki so feel free. Then, of course, if there are issues you can rest assured that one of us will soon come along and sharp shoot you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Well you can create the category for Philip K. Dick if you want. It is a Wiki so feel free. Then, of course, if there are issues you can rest assured that one of us will soon come along and sharp shoot you.
Don't encourage him. We've had kids before wanting us to start documenting the appearances of guns (or at least their descriptions) in books. Remember?

I have one rule: Don't expand IMFDB to anything past what we already cover, until we've 100% covered our original mission. Since there are TONS of gaps in our 'histories' I suggest we expend our energies towards making IMFDB complete, rather than ADDING more stuff we have to cover.
__________________
The trouble is, one requires a specific thing to understand Liam, that thing being "serious head injuries." (Evil Tim 09-09-2011)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Mazryonh Mazryonh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Don't encourage him.
Huh, and I thought I was building a reputation for being one of the straight shooters on this wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
We've had kids before wanting us to start documenting the appearances of guns (or at least their descriptions) in books. Remember?
I haven't checked the rules page in a while, but I'm certain there should have been a sentence or two talking about "this is a wiki meant to categorize the real-life firearms (or representations of such) in visual motion media" added recently. Books are visual media but are textual and are therefore not motion media. Comics (from any country) are not motion media either, nor are video games composed mostly of still images (usually adventure games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I have one rule: Don't expand IMFDB to anything past what we already cover, until we've 100% covered our original mission. Since there are TONS of gaps in our 'histories' I suggest we expend our energies towards making IMFDB complete, rather than ADDING more stuff we have to cover.
What precisely do you mean by gaps in our "histories"? Do you mean films we haven't covered yet (have you made a list of particular films you want others to make pages for, or something?), or incomplete pages, etc?

In any case, there already exist categories for authors whose works have been adapted into several films that qualify for inclusion on this wiki. If you're going to remove those categories, then fine. But if we're going keep them, then it would be good to have some criteria for including future author categories (i.e., they must have 3 or more works that have been adapted into films/video games/TV shows that qualify for inclusion on this wiki before such an author category can be created), since there are some of us who would like to quickly find the films based on the author's works (and I'm certain there are more authors who would qualify for such categories than just the three we've brought up here). And it would require much in the way of new material, just one category page per author worthy of inclusion, and the "Author" metacategory (like the ones we have for Director and Actor).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

If Elmore Leonard gets one, then I suppose you've proven your point. I have no objections.

As for future entries, I think we should lay down some requirements, like the minimum number of titles to qualify.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Last edited by funkychinaman; 04-15-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-17-2013, 06:45 AM
Ben41 Ben41 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Default

Just FYI:

Stephen King = 18 entries

Tom Clancy = 13 Entries

Elmore Leonard = 14 Entries
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

Maybe 10?

Do we want to set a limit for directors as well? We have one director category with only two films.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

While we're on the subject, can we standardize a way to do pages for directors who are also actors? The only one I've done is here.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:29 AM
Mazryonh Mazryonh is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Maybe 10?
Damn, the late PKD only has 7 films to my knowledge based on his works that would qualify for this wiki.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Ben41 Ben41 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Default

At least 10 items for author pages is my recommendation.

As for pages with actors who also are directors, I have done a few pages like this such as for Kevin Costner http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Kevin_Costner.

Is it better to have everything on one page (it looks a little messy) or place the directed films on the discussion page? PLease give thoughts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.