imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM
SPEMack618 SPEMack618 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 742
Default

And Colonel.

Also, General. But General shouldn't be hard to distinguish because we can all count to four. (hopefully)

Sergeant works for buck sergeants and (some) staff sergeants in the Army. For instance, I was never referred to as "Staff Sergeant" always sergeant or Mack.

The Marines, as I understand it, get persnickety about terms of address for enlisted folks and prefer to use the whole title
__________________
I like to think, that before that Navy SEAL double tapped bin Laden in the head, he kicked him, so that we could truly say we put a boot in his ass.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
And Colonel.

Also, General. But General shouldn't be hard to distinguish because we can all count to four. (hopefully)

Sergeant works for buck sergeants and (some) staff sergeants in the Army. For instance, I was never referred to as "Staff Sergeant" always sergeant or Mack.

The Marines, as I understand it, get persnickety about terms of address for enlisted folks and prefer to use the whole title
Yes, anyone who's ever called a Gunnery Sergeant "Sergeant" won't make that mistake again.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

Seeing something Thejoker wrote on the wiki reminded me of this: Should we standardize how we do foreign titles? I've always preferred to have the page title be the US title, and then create redirects for the foreign/original title. That way, if you type in "Battleship Potemkin," it'll go straight to that page, rather than a search page. I see a lot of users use both, so it'd be Battleship Potemkin (Bronenosets Potyomkin). Any thoughts?
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 AM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Seeing something Thejoker wrote on the wiki reminded me of this: Should we standardize how we do foreign titles? I've always preferred to have the page title be the US title, and then create redirects for the foreign/original title. That way, if you type in "Battleship Potemkin," it'll go straight to that page, rather than a search page. I see a lot of users use both, so it'd be Battleship Potemkin (Bronenosets Potyomkin). Any thoughts?
Going by the rule of using the US title if it has one, it should just be called "Battleship Potemkin" as it has had an official US release which used this title. The times when we use as English title with the foreign title in parentheses is when there is not official US release title and it is just a translation of the official foreign title. There is the exception that if the film goes by its foreign title in the US then it is not translated.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

I've added it to the style guide.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Ben41 Ben41 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
2.39:1 is the most common aspect ratio for modern cinema released films. For example, all the screenshots on the Expendables 2 page. An example of a page where the images are 16:9 using 600px thumbnails is Burn Notice Season 6 (along with most current television series like Hawaii Five-0, Nikita or Covert Affairs and movies that aren't 2.39:1).
I agree that 2.39 to 1 widescreen films should only go up to 600px since this has been the standard widely used throughout the site. 500px was originally the norm, but it was logical to change this with HD sources more readily available.

I generally believe that films that are shot in the 16x9 or 1.85x1 format should be 600px if the screencaps are high quality enough (either HD or directly from a commercial DVD). Otherwise, 500px for these films.

As for older films in the 4x3 format, 400px to 500px depending on the quality.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben41 View Post
I agree that 2.39 to 1 widescreen films should only go up to 600px since this has been the standard widely used throughout the site. 500px was originally the norm, but it was logical to change this with HD sources more readily available.

I generally believe that films that are shot in the 16x9 or 1.85x1 format should be 600px if the screencaps are high quality enough (either HD or directly from a commercial DVD). Otherwise, 500px for these films.

As for older films in the 4x3 format, 400px to 500px depending on the quality.
I've changed the style guide back and changed the pages that were made in the meantime while we discuss this. For my two cents, I'm pro-700px for anamorphic widescreen, as A) most films today are filmed in HD, B) HD and BD caps are more and more prevalent, and C) widescreen monitors are also more and more prevalent. On the other hand, I agree that 700px caps for non-HD or BD caps don't look great.

(Speaking of, we need someone to get BD caps for Lawrence of Arabia.)
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.