imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
How awesome, yet politically uncorrect, would it be to have a game where you start out in the SADF/Rhodesian Army fighting ANITA and then get hired by Excutive Outcomes?
It'd be the best thing ever

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM

The ultimate twist ending at the end could be you kill some UNITA cell lader who you previously fought alongside in one of the beginning missions.

Oy, R-4s, SLRs, Browning Hi-Powers, the jungle mod to the Browning A5, maybe even a BREN gun.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
How awesome, yet politically uncorrect, would it be to have a game where you start out in the SADF/Rhodesian Army fighting ANITA and then get hired by Excutive Outcomes?
It's UNITA, not ANITA. Also, would it really be all that politically incorrect? Savimbi was an opportunist and a con artist who started out as a disciple of Mao Zedong, and then cozied up to the apartheid South African regime and Washington's neo-conservatives when he realized he could gain greater international legitimacy (and money) by making himself into an anti-communist. When the Angolan government hired Executive Outcomes to help them fight UNITA in the 1990s, I don't think too many liberals felt much sympathy for Savimbi and his forces, regardless of how much they loathed the ex-SADF guys who made up EO's leadership. (note that I am assuming you associated political correctness with liberalism; forgive me if I am mistaken)
Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 AM

Oops. Typo.

No, Savimbi was goon, a somewhat usable goon, but a goon none the less. I was more referring to the glorification of the SADF and the Apartheid (sp) era regime.

In essence, I don't see how a video game maker could make the SADF the good guys.

Heck, even Larry Bond and Barrett Tillman waffled on making them the good guys and those dudes make Barry Goldwater look moderate.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:49 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Oops. Typo.

No, Savimbi was goon, a somewhat usable goon, but a goon none the less. I was more referring to the glorification of the SADF and the Apartheid (sp) era regime.

In essence, I don't see how a video game maker could make the SADF the good guys.

Heck, even Larry Bond and Barrett Tillman waffled on making them the good guys and those dudes make Barry Goldwater look moderate.
Ah, I gotcha. Yes, it would be quite politically incorrect to feature the apartheid-era SADF as the heroes. EO might be a little more of a gray area, though.

Also, before the end of the Cold War, the SADF would be fighting the MPLA. UNITA received training and even close air support from the SADF before the end of the Cold War (and also the end of apartheid).
Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 AM

Speaking of which, if anyone has seen the leaked playthrough of Black Ops II, it is quite the historical role reversal to have UNITA equipped and fighting like the SADF (down to having the Buffel MRAPs and Eland armored cars) while the MPLA are reduced to a bunch of machete-wielding maniacs with technicals when they had plenty of armor and aircraft themselves.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:11 AM

This is hilarious (at least in my opinion it is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hljPe6euy8

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 11-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Ah, I gotcha. Yes, it would be quite politically incorrect to feature the apartheid-era SADF as the heroes. EO might be a little more of a gray area, though.

Also, before the end of the Cold War, the SADF would be fighting the MPLA. UNITA received training and even close air support from the SADF before the end of the Cold War (and also the end of apartheid).
And didn't EO, composed of a lot of South African ex-pats, wind up fighting against UNITA?

That was the "twist" I was getting at, but I could be confused. That whole situation is murky to say the best, and Lt. Col. Brown doesn't exactly provide the best picture of it.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 AM

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Oh, but it's okay for the Pentagon to force them to reveal similar information for Zero Dark Thirty? Hypocrites...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM

I kind of want one of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWnCR7ZBpg

http://www.introvertisland.com