imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Normally, in cases like this, I completely ignore the people who play the race card and side with the law. I'm as weary as you guys of all the bitching and whining about how racist and evil America is, which seems inevitable whenever stuff like this happens. (And in this case, it's really ironic, since Zimmerman is half-Peruvian, which makes him as "white" as our President.)

But from what I've read so far, Zimmerman was really NOT in the right here. He apparently had a reputation for being short-tempered, and he had a record of his own (several arrests for domestic violence and even an assault on a fellow officer). The 911 dispatcher told him NOT to pursue Martin, but he did anyway. Sounds to me like a bit of a hothead, possibly with a Napoleon Complex (since he was such a short dude). Even if Martin is a teenage thug, and even if he was killed in self-defense, it still appears that Zimmerman may have acted in a way that made the situation more dangerous than it needed to be. And the stuff that I've seen on Zimmerman detailing his history isn't just being posted by my leftist Facebook friends, either - there are quite a few Libertarians who find him unsympathetic.

None of this, of course, changes the fact that investigators should have the chance to evaluate the evidence before we draw conclusions. And I doubt that the evidence will cast Martin in a good light, either way (no matter what his leftist sympathizers want to believe). I just don't think you should all be so quick to get behind Zimmerman and absolve him of any guilt just because of what he was, as opposed to who he was. Law enforcement may be an honorable profession, but it can attract some very dishonorable people.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Law enforcement may be an honorable profession, but it can attract some very dishonorable people.
Wasn't he just a neighborhood watchman?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Wasn't he just a neighborhood watchman?
Yes. I use the term "law enforcement" quite loosely here.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 AM

And now he's being charged with 2nd degree murder.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/11...r-report-says/
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

On the bright side, at least a trial will allow all the facts to come out.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well let's hope it's a fair trial. Too bad the attacker isn't alive though. I hate these kinds of self defense cases where we don't know who's in the right

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 AM

Does anyone else have the feeling that no matter what happens, someone is going to eventually kill Zimmerman?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Th justice system caved and will try to make an example of zimmerman, guilty or not. There afraid of race riots and Zimmerman is screwed no matter how this ends up. The riot till they cave mentality is scary, i dont feel much sympathy for zimmrman but i dont want thios becoming a new precedent. If martin was white nobody would care. If both men were black then nobody would care. 100 blacks are killd by blacks each day. No media exposure. One white dude guns down a black guy and its all the news talks about.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

I have to give MAJOR props to Trevon's mom. Saw a bit of her interview this morning and she basically said all she wants is an apology. She believes "this was an accident, a situation that got out of hand and Mr. Zimmerman couldn't turn back the clock".

If it was my kid, I'd want this guys head on a block. End of discussion. The fact that this woman has the ability to understand that may have been an accident is unreal to me.

As for all the racial talk, I don't think Zimmerman is a racist. The Police on the other hand.... Speaking as a white guy who has never experienced racism myself, I feel like had this been a young white kid, the situation would have been dealt with differently. I'm not sure whether it was pure racism by the police (I.E. "its a black kid so we don't care") or whether it was racial profiling (I.E. "A young black kid in a hoodie, I'd be scare too.") I'm not sure. But I do believe that race played a part in how the police handled the case.

Regardless, I'm really pleased that this is going to trial. Guilty or Innocent, both Trevon AND George deserve to have this in a court of law, not just the court of public opinion.

just my 2 cents....

-Z
Old 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM

I think the court of media bias is already tainting the case.

Grunt, Mass effect 3