imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Went shotgun shopping today

I finally decided to search for a 12-gauge shotgun to keep in my apartment. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive ($300-$400) and not really sure what else I want besides this. Here are some that I looked at and my thoughts:

(1.) Remington 870 Express Tactical - this was my all-around favorite, but it was also the most costly (over $400 for the version with the door-breaching attachment, $375 for the standard version). Still, I think I like it best.

(2.) Mossberg 500 w/ heat shield - I like the look and the possibility of endless (easy) upgrade possibilities (pistol grip, forward grip, bullpup stock, etc.), but I absolutely hate the feel of the Mossy's pump. It's ridiculously wobbly and almost feels like it might break off if you pump it hard enough.

(3.) Stoeger P350 Defense - A very sweet-looking shotgun, very well-made and sturdy, at a good price (one place I visited had it for $299). Only problem is - aftermarket accessories basically don't exist, so no upgrade options whatsoever.

What do you guys think I should go with?
Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

I have a 870 Police Magnum. I love it, but I don't own or have shot any others to compare it to. Bud's Guns currently has some police trade-in 870 Magnums for $270. They don't say "Police". But they'll shoot 3".

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411537360

or Wingmasters for $230. 2 3/4" only

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411537363

Last edited by predator20; 09-05-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:17 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I have a 870 Police Magnum. I love it, but I don't own or have shot any others to compare it to. Bud's Guns currently has some police trade-in 870 Magnums for $270. They don't say "Police". But they'll shoot 3".

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411537360

or Wingmasters for $230. 2 3/4" only

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411537363
The Police Magnum is nice and all, but I would prefer something of somewhat newer manufacture. I also really like the look of the Express Tactical best.

I also think the Stoeger is a nice-looking (and feeling) gun for a great price. Just not so sure I want to get something that's too new to have spawned an aftermarket industry.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM

I myself am shopping for a shotgun and I plan on getting a Remington 870 Express Synthetic with the 2 shot extension, preferably one with the older style stock set, as they recently released a new version with different grip cuts. Still, the furniture woldn't be a dealbreaker if the gun was in good condition. This would be the shotgun I'd recommend over anything else. It's a bit heavier than other options, and only holds 7 rounds, but it's build quality, track record and handling make up for it.

My runner up would be a Mossberg 590. It's still wobbly, but you have 2 more shotgun shells to make up for it. Very few shotguns will actually hold 8+1 and this is one of the lucky few. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for you and me.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:59 AM

I used to sell the Stoeger at Cabela's. Hated it, it's a piece of junk as far as I'm concerned. Trying very hard to be a Benelli Nova without the quality.

I always told people to look at the Maverick 88 with the 18" barrel. Only real difference from a Mossberg 500 is the safety and it's a heck of a good price. How much gun to do you really need for an apartment?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I'd go with a Remington 870. The design is solid and dependable. It's been going for almost sixty years, I carry one in my patrol car and I trust it.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I finally decided to search for a 12-gauge shotgun to keep in my apartment. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive ($300-$400) and not really sure what else I want besides this. Here are some that I looked at and my thoughts:

(1.) Remington 870 Express Tactical - this was my all-around favorite, but it was also the most costly (over $400 for the version with the door-breaching attachment, $375 for the standard version). Still, I think I like it best.

(2.) Mossberg 500 w/ heat shield - I like the look and the possibility of endless (easy) upgrade possibilities (pistol grip, forward grip, bullpup stock, etc.), but I absolutely hate the feel of the Mossy's pump. It's ridiculously wobbly and almost feels like it might break off if you pump it hard enough.

(3.) Stoeger P350 Defense - A very sweet-looking shotgun, very well-made and sturdy, at a good price (one place I visited had it for $299). Only problem is - aftermarket accessories basically don't exist, so no upgrade options whatsoever.

What do you guys think I should go with?
The only reason I'd sway for the Mossberg is you can fit more shells in it, six in a standard, nine in the extended. And while the pump is finicky, it won't break, trust me.

And this is irrelevant in full, but a Mossberg makes a cool sound when it pumps.

But likely the Remington will be the best bet since it is a very well made and proven shotgun. And don't bother with the door-breacher muzzle, do you plan to blast the locks off of any of your own house's doors during a robbery? And buying the proper copper shot shells, so you don't kill anyone up or down stairs?

Whatever you pick, pick what feels best. And personally pick one with a big magazine tube, because during any firefight, you wouldn't want to have to reload that tube.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
. And don't bother with the door-breacher muzzle.

....bu bu but it looks cool
Old 09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Thanks for the help, guys.

I think I still want to go with the 870 Express Tactical, if I can get one at a good price. Dick's actually had the rail/door-breacher model for a pretty good price, but they had sold it by the time I got back. I went to another shop which had the same gun, but for almost $100 more (not sure why).

And yeah, I don't need the door-breaching attachment, but as AdAstra said, it does look cool. It's not something I'd pay extra for, but if I could get that particular model at a good price, I would most definitely go for it.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Remington is a great company and they make excellent guns. You can't go wrong with the 870. When it comes to shotguns, I have 2 Mossberg 500's (one 28" hunting shotgun and one 20" home defense/3 gun shotgun). I chose the Mossberg because I'm left handed and the tang safety is a lot easier for me to manipulate as a southpaw. The pump is def not going to break from pumping too hard but I can see where you might not like the feel of it's wobble. Either the 870 or the 500/590 is going to be a better choice then the Stoeger, but it all really comes down to which one works best for you. Here's my 500 Persuader I chose for home defense.