imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
2wingo 2wingo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
Posts: 56
Default Composite Pistol in "In the Line of Fire"

Does anyone know exactly why it had to be destroyed after filming?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
The Wierd It's Avatar
The Wierd It The Wierd It is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in England.
Posts: 325
Default

Legal issues, apparently.
__________________
You seem nervous... Is it the accent? Do you want to know how I got it?

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
Legal issues, apparently.
What those legal issues were, is what 2wingo's question is. And one I kind of share.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 AM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 513
Default

I imagine there are two parts to this. Firstly there is the "Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988" which would make possession of the pistol illegal in the US (building such a pistol is illegal as well, I'm assuming the production either got a special exemption or it was exempt due to it being for theatrical usage). Secondly the gun was sold as a movie prop (I believe the picture is from the auction listing) rather than as a functional firearm (which would have been much more legally complicated) so it had to be deactivated first. When the pistol was sold I believe it had velcro pads so that it could be stuck back together in the shape of the original gun.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2013, 04:21 AM
BlackIce_GTS BlackIce_GTS is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 88
Default

Oh, I'd never considered before that the thing actually worked, I just thought it was a full scale plastic model of a gun designed by a five year old.
I suppose making it fire blanks was the easiest option, seeing that the movie predated Adobe Muzzle Flash PRO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
commando552 commando552 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: England
Posts: 513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce_GTS View Post
Oh, I'd never considered before that the thing actually worked, I just thought it was a full scale plastic model of a gun designed by a five year old.
I suppose making it fire blanks was the easiest option, seeing that the movie predated Adobe Muzzle Flash PRO.
The other thing with the gun which may have made it legally "tricky" is that as it is a simple break open single action gun, if it was capable of firing blanks then it probably would have been capable of firing live rounds. The gun might have destroyed itself after the first shot, but it would have worked.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 PM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I imagine there are two parts to this. Firstly there is the "Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988"
I remember that. It came from the Bullshit urban legend that the GLOCK was invisible to Airport metal detectors, remember those days? the gun control idiots got a lot of mileage from that one, even though NOW, most police departments use the Glock.

It expired in 1998 but was re-authorized in 2003 and is set to expire this december (2013). With the advent of 3-D printing, you KNOW, some idiot politician is going to make a law banning the mythological all plastic gun again.....
__________________
The trouble is, one requires a specific thing to understand Liam, that thing being "serious head injuries." (Evil Tim 09-09-2011)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 AM
2wingo 2wingo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I remember that. It came from the Bullshit urban legend that the GLOCK was invisible to Airport metal detectors, remember those days? the gun control idiots got a lot of mileage from that one, even though NOW, most police departments use the Glock.

It expired in 1998 but was re-authorized in 2003 and is set to expire this december (2013). With the advent of 3-D printing, you KNOW, some idiot politician is going to make a law banning the mythological all plastic gun again.....
What exactly IS 3D-printing, vis-a-vis guns, and why is everyone in an uproar about it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wingo View Post
What exactly IS 3D-printing, vis-a-vis guns, and why is everyone in an uproar about it?
A 3-D printer can basically create anything out of plastic, including high capacity magazines and gun parts. This would render many gun control measures moot.
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 AM
2wingo 2wingo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
A 3-D printer can basically create anything out of plastic, including high capacity magazines and gun parts. This would render many gun control measures moot.
That doesn't seem like it could make a very GOOD gun. I mean, there are certain things you just can't do with plastic. Even Glocks have a bunch of metal parts in them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.