imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post

MPM quote
"In the civilian world of semi auto only weapons, there is NO difference between a Ruger mini 14 rifle in a plain wooden stock and an AR15 in evil black tactical furniture when it comes to firepower."

That's the point MPM was trying to make.
That was my point (Predator20 gets it), and Mazryonh, you just don't seem to get it. There should be TOO MANY categories on a movie page. You can sub-categorize it all you want, but we don't want to add layers upon layers of subcategories on movie/tv/etc. pages. We don't ALL have Asberger's Syndrome There is the overall encompassing category: Rifle. (As a note, we do still lump smooth bore muskets into this category since they were the pre-cursor, but that's a minor issue considering how many pages have muskets as a listing).

The categorization on pages with lots of guns should be handguns, Submachine guns, Rifles, Shotguns, Machine guns, Other Weapons. That's it. Yes, we ALL know about the subcategories, but those details should be on the individual gun pages.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM

If that's what you want, then I suppose it's your fiat. Would it then be against the new rules to include a rifle's separate designation within each weapon's entry inside a game's, or movie's, or television show's page? Such as if a game has an AK-47, can we then write "This assault rifle appeared in this game under the assumed name of"? Similarly, if a game has an FN SCAR-H, can we then write "This battle rifle appeared in this game under the assumed name of"?

If it's for the sake of convenience to the majority of users on imfdb, then so much the better, but honestly, who has been complaining about the bad public image of assault rifles here?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
who has been complaining about the bad public image of assault rifles here?
Some have voiced their concerns, and no, they usually don't voice them to you (not being a mod and all) it is prudent considering the political climate in the U.S. (after all, most IMFDB users are well educated enough to know the difference, but the lay public IS NOT).
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 PM

How will it be prudent? Will someone honestly try to press charges against the owners of this website if we don't take down references of "assault rifles" or "battle rifles" on the movie, game, anime, or television show entries? It still escapes my logic as to why cataloguing firearms in works of fiction via this website would harm anyone. I apologize in advance if the answer is blindingly obvious to everyone else but me.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
How will it be prudent? Will someone honestly try to press charges against the owners of this website if we don't take down references of "assault rifles" or "battle rifles" on the movie, game, anime, or television show entries? It still escapes my logic as to why cataloguing firearms in works of fiction via this website would harm anyone. I apologize in advance if the answer is blindingly obvious to everyone else but me.
That is quite possible

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Sounds good to me. It simplifies, declutters and cleans it up.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Apparently it is blindingly obvious to everyone BUT you. LOL! Seriously. You can take a simple concept and twist and distort it into a long arduous and headache inducing thread. Do you seriously ENJOY being argumentative? Or are you really not comprehending what is being said here? Heck, it's your right. But sorry, but I don't have to time to argue in circles, dude.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I agree that having an all-encompassing section for "Rifles" on the movie pages seems a lot simpler, and we should get rid of separating types. That being said, this also raises another point: Do we still separate "Pistols" from "Revolvers"?

Quote:
Such as if a game has an AK-47, can we then write "This assault rifle appeared in this game under the assumed name of"?
No, that would not be OK, but that's because it violates IMFDB norms. The correct format is to say, "An AK-47 is used by (insert name here)", with "AK-47" linking to the AK-47 page. Fail to do that, and it's not cool.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
That being said, this also raises another point: Do we still separate "Pistols" from "Revolvers"?
I always list them as handguns.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I always list them as handguns.
Oh, yeah, forgot about that.

Also, the thought did occur to me that on some pages that have lots of guns (dozens), having very big categories could be just as unwieldy.