imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-01-2010, 05:41 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default New Rule: No Non-English Characters

hahaha, I don't mean no characters that aren't from England.....

I mean that many IMFDB members don't have foreign characters loaded onto their machines, thus Cryllic or Chinese looks like gibberish. Also since romanization of a foreign title should be the norm for an English language site, I am updating the rule to forbid foreign characters.

Also we are starting to see more and more members using foreign character entirely in discussion pages, which is unacceptable. The Mods need to know if someone is threatening someone, spamming us, or being a jerk in general.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:17 AM

I haven't seen the talk pages you're referring to. Mind posting links of any examples?

To pre-emptively defuse any accusations of racism, you should post a message on the main page that this is an English-language-only wiki made for English-reading users. Any offended parties should feel free to make similar wikis (without plagiarism of course) in their own preferred languages.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I haven't seen the talk pages you're referring to. Mind posting links of any examples?

To pre-emptively defuse any accusations of racism, you should post a message on the main page that this is an English-language-only wiki made for English-reading users. Any offended parties should feel free to make similar wikis (without plagiarism of course) in their own preferred languages.
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Brigada
Nice page in English, but the notations in Cyrillic are not necessary. We don't need to see HOW the main characters names are SPELLED in Cyrillic. And again, if you don't have Cyrillic loaded on your computer, it comes out as gibberish.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User_talk:RedCharger
Check out this page. Now it may be innocent banter between RedCharger and Kloga, but IMFDB as rules. How can the mods determine if a member is using Hate Speech or Threats or other behavior that will result in sanctions / banning if we don't know what they are talking about? Again this is an innocent example, but you can see why it is an issue.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/On_The_First_Beat
Again, a nice page, but the Chinese Characters will show up as gibberish on a computer without those characters loaded in their fonts. And being an English language site, why do we have to list the ORIGINAL language? But it showing up as gibberish on computers is reason enough to ask members NOT to do it.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/User_talk:RedCharger
Check out this page. Now it may be innocent banter between RedCharger and Kloga
It is.

But nonetheless I agree we need an English Only rule.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
It is.
Well I didn't say it wasn't I should have rewritten the sentence to read, "while being only innocent banter" versus "it may be innocent banter" as in "It may very well be innocent banter, BUT....."