imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Unidentified Flintlocks in Movie Pages

What do you guys think about a movie page that just has unidentified flintlock style weapons?

"Character A has a flintlock pistol"

"Character B has a musket"

No identification, nothing.

I've always been against adding ANY movie page if it did not really teach the general public something. Just adding any "period movie" at random with the chronicling of flintlock weapons just seemed kinda stupid to me. Why? Any idiot can see the guy has a flintlock pistol. We're not really helping anyone here if we can't even identify WHAT TYPE of pistol it is. That's like saying "Character A" uses a handgun throughout the movie, with no mention of what type of gun it is.

For the longest time that was the reason why so many blockbusters like the Pirates movies, were kept from IMFDB. Sure the more info we get and the more correct identifications we can make, then the page becomes more and more relevant.

But any page that just blurts out that characters have 'muskets' is IMHO useless until we can get more information.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:43 PM
IMFDB Chief of Operations

I tend to agree with you for the most part. I think there are some cases where the pistol/musket can be identified (Pirates of the Caribbean for example). But if it is literally "actor uses an unknown flintlock" then i think it should get the axe. I believe this policy was made for 12-gauge shotguns a while back...? I remember something about if the page was just "actor uses an unknown double barreled shotgun" then it didn't meet the qualifications.

Just my 2 cents.

-Z