imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-03-2009, 08:06 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraussie View Post
Antiuqes: Gayness.
Get yaself a MP5K for god sakes and actually shoot some people.
Addressing them in order:
"Antiques". Some of the best firearms are oldies. "Yourself". AN MP5K, not a.

And antiques are not "Gayness", their designs influenced that MP5K you speak of. Respect your elders, they are the future as well as the past.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraussie View Post
Antiuqes: Gayness.
Get yaself a MP5K for god sakes and actually shoot some people.
(1.) Nyles is from Canada. Canada does not allow machine guns for civilians anymore. Bill C-51, passed in 1977, outlawed them for anyone who didn't have a permit to buy them before that date. So unless Nyles is one of those lucky souls, it's not possible for him to do so.
(2.) Your posts make you sound like some immature kid who has never touched a real gun in his life. Wise up.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 PM

I'd bet good money I've shot more automatic weapons than you've ever seen outside of a computer game, and even if I could legally own them my collection would look pretty much the same as it does right now. I appreciate history and character in a gun alot more than I care about how many rounds it can fire.

And chances are that in the next year I am going to have to "actually shoot some people". The thought doesn't appeal to me. War's not a game, I know plenty of guys who've pulled the trigger and none of them are happy about it. What's more, I've known guys didn't come back, or didn't come back whole. I do this because I believe in it, not because it's cool, or fun. It's not.

Oh, and I've got to give you credit MT2008. You know our laws better than most of the people I sell guns to.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Nyles, no need to take this loser too seriously. He seems to be mostly trolling, and is well on his way to being ghosted (read: banned).

As far as my knowledge of your country's gun laws, don't give me TOO much credit. I remembered reading Canada had a machine gun ban, but I had to Google the topic to get the specific bill.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:33 AM

I know, but two things really piss me off: gun guys acting like idiots in public and convincing people that gun owners really are dangerous nuts, and trivialising the war.

Well, credit anyways. You'd be amazed at how many people see the R-15 we have to work and ask me if its a machine gun.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Some more "gay antiques"... I've also started picturing the handguns with appropriate original rounds from my cartridge collection.

I'm sure you don't need me to identify this for you. It's a Colt M1911A1, made by Colt in 1943, one of a few that were mistakenly serial numbered in the range assigned to Remington Rand. It's pictured with a 1918-vintage two-tone magazine it somehow ended up paired with, and a 1942-dated British military .45ACP round.

Also likely needing no explanation, this is a Canadian Inglis Hi Power (No.2 Mk.I), 1st series, made in 1944. I'm issued one just like it at work. You can recognise an Inglis by the humped rear sight. It's pictured with a 1943 dated Canadian made 9mm cartridge.

This is a German-issued Radom pistol, made in Poland under German occupation. The Poles called it the wz.35, the Germans P.35(P), which I think is more correct for a German issued gun. Great guns, actually - reliable, accurate, and somewhat unique. Have a decocking lever, but a single action only trigger - works pretty well. This one was made about 1942, when the finish was degrading but none of the mechanics had been changed. It's pictured with a German DWM 9mm cartridge made in the 30s.

This is an Austrian-made Steyr 1911 pistol, made in 1912 as part of a contract for the Chilean army. These are neat pistols - top loaders with a fixed magazine, firing a 9 x 23mm cartridge slightly more powerful than the 9mm Luger. They have somewhat odd ergonomics, but they're surprisingly accurate and reliable. This one is pictured with a full stripper clip of 1916 dated Austrian ammo.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
IMFDB Admin

I think those tutone mags are cool. They just dipped them in blueing at the factory so the top of the mag is a different color. I have a few of those.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Actually, the reason the top of the mag was left in the white was that the heat treating process they used to stiffen the mag lips destroyed bluing. Ironically this one doesn't actually function too well with the gun - the follower is worn just enough that it won't trip the slide lock. When I shoot it I just use a plain parked mag.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Man, that's a beautiful collection.

A friend of mine had two prized items in his at one time extensive collection, I believe they were a Luger P08 and a "Broomhandle" Mauser (C96? I'm not too up on antique firearms but I remember his descriptions of them).

When they changed the UK Firearms law in 1996 to ban all pistols from private ownership, he had to hand them - and all the other pistols, including his cherished 1911 - in to the police to be destroyed. They wouldn't even pay compensation.

He said it was one of the saddest things he's ever had to do. Looking at some of yours, I can understand why.

Very sad, but it's nice to know some corners of the world allow such collector's items to survive. Thanks for showing us these.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:14 PM

Thanks DamageW - it is really sad what happened in the Britain. Without getting too much into the subvariants, C/96 is broadly correct and accepted among collectors for all the models.