imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Should SHORTS be allowed on IMFDB?

And no, I'm not talking about clothing. Recently there have been an influx of shorts being put on the IMFDB site. Now we have no rule against shorts in the rules and regulations, but I think we should. Shorts, despite being listed in IMDB and available for purchase on Amazon, etc, just don't rise to the level of a feature or recurring television series. Also there are literally THOUSANDS of shorts done every year, by thousands of amateurs and professionals alike, but mostly by Students and MINORS (aka kids with a video camera and an editing software on their computer).

I vote to implement a rule that shorts NOT be allowed on IMFDB (even if they are listed on IMDB and are available for purchase .... ANYONE can self distribute nowadays). The only possible exception that I would be comfortable with would be a short that has feature level production values and more importantly, REAL guns. I mention this because I know of a few professionals who have made some very cool shorts, one of them an amazing piece on World War II and their costumes and weapons were spot on perfect! But toy or airsoft guns with CGI flash effects only? Into the dumpster they go.

Thoughts. Comments. Suggestions....
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
And no, I'm not talking about clothing. Recently there have been an influx of shorts being put on the IMFDB site. Now we have no rule against shorts in the rules and regulations, but I think we should. Shorts, despite being listed in IMDB and available for purchase on Amazon, etc, just don't rise to the level of a feature or recurring television series. Also there are literally THOUSANDS of shorts done every year, by thousands of amateurs and professionals alike, but mostly by Students and MINORS (aka kids with a video camera and an editing software on their computer).

I vote to implement a rule that shorts NOT be allowed on IMFDB (even if they are listed on IMDB and are available for purchase .... ANYONE can self distribute nowadays). The only possible exception that I would be comfortable with would be a short that has feature level production values and more importantly, REAL guns. I mention this because I know of a few professionals who have made some very cool shorts, one of them an amazing piece on World War II and their costumes and weapons were spot on perfect! But toy or airsoft guns with CGI flash effects only? Into the dumpster they go.

Thoughts. Comments. Suggestions....
Could we make an exception for film shorts that are actually distributed to theaters? The Academy does give an oscar to best film short. Or would that be to much work? If so then I agree with you and we can exclude them regardless.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Could we make an exception for film shorts that are actually distributed to theaters? The Academy does give an oscar to best film short. Or would that be to much work? If so then I agree with you and we can exclude them regardless.
ONLY if they are distributed to theaters. The rules are explicit about the fact that IMFDB covers ONLY professional media.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
ONLY if they are distributed to theaters. The rules are explicit about the fact that IMFDB covers ONLY professional media.
Agreed. If we let any two bit film school student create pages for their short "films", there will be more pages on them than there would be for actual movies

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Banned

I think shorts should not be allowed on your avatar.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 PM

yeah, i mean look at that sequel to offshore page, its crap.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-30-2010, 12:05 AM

Well I am for banning shorts unless the majority of users agree that the short is of exceptional quality and film value.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:15 AM

Please, ban shorts. (but skirts and pants are OK)
Old 09-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin1 View Post
Please, ban shorts. (but skirts and pants are OK)
Everyone party naked.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:45 AM

Come on...Where would Robert Rodriguez be today without Bedhead