imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 AM

Default Disappointed in a lot of the centennial 1911s.

Thing is, Id like a more subdued, older style, 1911. Most of them now are just flahy and covered with bold colors and huge words, ivory grips, massive amounts of engraving. None I can really see buying yet.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-14-2011, 12:55 AM

They way the market has become, with all the tacticool-ness, metallurgy changes, finish differences, cost cutting attempts and the one element that encompasses all of these things, the swing and miss attempts at paying homage to a day when firearms were at their prime, there won't be any that will catch your eye. It can't be classic unless it is an actual classic, or it's built exactly to classic specs, and no one does the latter because of design changes that are sometimes for the betterment of one aspect (bigger sights being an example) but distinguish the "new" from the "old" so subtly but distinctly.

You want a classic 1911? You're just gonna have to put the money up for one that was actually from a previous era, or pay less (or even more in some cases) and get products of the current market, which just don't share the same prestige or spirit that the actuals do.

I honestly think Browning is facepalming in his grave at what has happened to his design 100 years later.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 AM

I like new features, hi ride beavertail safeties, night sights, extended safeties, lowered and flared ejection ports. But, not on a collectible, I want that old school.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post

I honestly think Browning is facepalming in his grave at what has happened to his design 100 years later.
At the same time I'd think he'd be shocked and proud that his design is still as popular as it is, a hundred years later.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 AM

What about the STI 2011 handguns based off the M1911 platform? Anyone get their hands on those?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 AM

I'd lvoe to see a replica of the very first 100 1911s made - the large UNITED STATES GOVERMENT marking and slotted magazine release.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Thing is, Id like a more subdued, older style, 1911. Most of them now are just flahy and covered with bold colors and huge words, ivory grips, massive amounts of engraving. None I can really see buying yet.
I look at it this way, all of my guns are old or older, I like the qualities, look, feel they have. None really suitable for concealed carry or anything like that.

I'm in the market for some new guns, first for CCW permit dependable "pocket pistols" for me and my wife.

I've looked at dozens and dozens newer guns online, I want small but not sure if I want clip or revolver, I've seen both I like....like those S&W 642 and know friends with clip fed. Price is a minor factor, I'm looking from $200 to $400 plus each.

.....also why I found this site.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 AM

Tac rails.... do not want. I'm sorry to 1911 fans, but I wouldn't want night sights or such on a 1911, because i'd just shoot it for fun. Carry's gonna be a 9mm.