imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 AM

Default What video games have taught me about guns!

1. Guns are designed to have the bullet casings fly in front of your face to look cooler.
Offenders: Black, Far Cry 2

2. Ammo is grouped by weapon type and works with all guns of it's class. ie. Assault Rifle rounds, Pistol rounds, SMG round etc.
Offenders: Army of Two, Resident Evil 4/5

3. In war, both sides will carry different assault rifles and side arms, but they will share shot guns, sniper rifles and rocket launchers.
Offenders: Killzone, Gears of War,

4.Weapon recoil is annoying because it makes the sights on my gun expand.
Offenders: Pretty much any shooter

5. Reloading is always effortless
Offender: Every shooter

6. 7.62mm rounds do the same damage as 5.56mm rounds.
Offender: Call of Duty 4

7. Sniper rifles ALWAYS kill a man with one shot, even if the bullet hits the man's foot.
Offender: Any online game that features a sniper rifle

8. Shotguns have a maximum range of 10 yards or less. They are also always loaded with buckshot and never slugs.
Offender: Any online game that features a shotgun

9. Guns can be used to club enemies repeatidly.
Offender: Halo started it, the rest followed

10. Pistols can do more damage than Assault Rifles.
Offender: Resident Evil 5

11. Armor makes you a bullet sponge, but head protection is worthless.
Offender: Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2

12. The military never take RPGs into battle, they just picked up enemy RPGs when the situation calls for it.

13. A revolver is always a magnum.
Offender: Resident Evil series

14. Jamming? Guns never jam!
Exceptions: Far Cry 2, America's Army
Old 06-15-2009, 02:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

That's another nitpick I have with Resident Evil 5, the handguns are overly powerful while the Assault Rifles are underpowered as hell. And actually from what I've learned about shotguns in games, half the time I call them lottery guns because when you shoot them at close range sometimes, they don't the target.

My problem with Far Cry 2 isn';t because that guns jam, it's because they jam TOO often to be realistic. Honestly, you have an assault rifle with descent ammo, and it jams on you 10 times in a row, that isn;t realistic, that's just stupid and the AK47 jamming that much consistently is a bit weird since the AK is a rifle that would take ALOT to jam

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-15-2009, 10:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombees View Post
8. Shotguns have a maximum range of 10 yards or less. They are also always loaded with buckshot and never slugs.
Offender: Any online game that features a shotgun
They don't understand a shotgun's pattern is still solid at 10 yards. It doesn't expand like we see in movies and games til about 30-40 yards. I wish a game would be made that allowed you to choose between buckshot (powerful and common), birdshot (very common but slightly weaker), and slug (powerful and accurate but in shortest supply). That's kind of how it works in the real world, I wouldn't mind an option like that. I like games were I choose my loadout before entering the level, like The Punisher, even though it was kind of cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur01 View Post
ALOT
This is a pet peeve of mine. A LOT. Two words.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 AM

I learned that you can pick up enemy weapons because they are highly maintained and never malfunction, and most "operators" ditch the standard issue for things that look cool.

I also learned that pistol whipping people does more damage than shooting them.

And that all you need to do to pick up new ammo is walk over it and it will go into your bag. When changing mags, put the old one in your bag and it will refill. You can walk over a g3 and it will feed your m14. Apparently you have Gecko45s ninjitsu boots for tactical stuff.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

When you reload and clearly drop out the magazine to the ground, you still have the ammunition to spare.

When you rack the charging handle every time to reload, you don't loose a round.

etc., etc.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:35 AM

I've learned that if you have a magazine in reserve with half the rounds left and if you have a weapon that has half the rounds left and you reload your weapon: all your ammo will magically appear in the same magazine.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

All guns eject from the left side rather than the right, because if you can't see the brass flying in front of your face, it's not as cool.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

When you reload when you are out of ammo completely or doing a mid mag reload, you ALWAYS rack the charging handle. Except for some games like COD4 where you don't do that and you actually press the slide release when reloading

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-16-2009, 04:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

You HAVE to chamber the weapon everytime you draw it or pick it up.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombees View Post
9. Guns can be used to club enemies repeatidly.
Offender: Halo started it, the rest followed
Call of Duty 1 was big on putting that into the 'realistic' games, mind. Your drill sergeant even carefully sounded out that 'this is called a may-lay attack' as if the concept of hitting people with an object was some secret new combat technique that had just been developed. Then again, CoD4 showed us that the SAS wait until just before a new recruit is ready to go on a mission before checking if he has two working arms ['now, try switching weapons!'].

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
All guns eject from the left side rather than the right, because if you can't see the brass flying in front of your face, it's not as cool.
Or, if they get that right, the ejector has to do something equally bizarre instead. In this instance, totally ignore gravity.

This also shows another rule; in the future guns will look like modern guns [or in this case WW2 guns], only with 80% more stupid. In about three hundred years' time they'll have the technology to rotate an MG42's barrel shroud by a full 90 degrees. Imagine what other things they can revolve slightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
You HAVE to chamber the weapon everytime you draw it or pick it up.
Chambering when you pick it up just about makes sense; confirming the gun is ready to fire and not jammed tends to be a smart move in combat. But then in most games there's no such thing as a chambered round or jam anyway.

Also, another rule; if you have two magazines attached together and flip them over to reload, you can continue doing this forever without either becoming empty, as long as you're holding bullets which were in entirely seperate magazines you picked up from elsewhere.

Last edited by Vangelis; 06-22-2009 at 09:17 AM.