imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Some of the better movie gunfight(s).

Okay first of all this is not a definitive list. I also know this has been done before, but I've never done a list of best movie gunfight(s). In some cases it's a staged gunfight that takes place in a movie and in other situations it's the over all movie. Join in if you want. My only criteria (mine not yours) is I avoided movies with spectacular ,but totally over the top sequences like "Equilibrium" and anything by John Woo. It isn't that I don't like those films, but I'm looking at movies that stage gunfights that it seems plausible any of us might find ourselves in. I don't mind some poetic license (see the shotgun in "Open Range"). After all it is showbiz. Order of movies is not a Top 10 list - or even a top fifteen or twenty.

My List

"Open Range" (2003) That big showdown at the end. Reality meets classic Hollywood.

"Taxi Driver"(1976). Travis rescuing the damsel in distress.Considered to be horrifically violent and grim in 1976. It still packs a wallop in 2013. An up close gunfight. Everybody gets hit and the carnage is not only brutal, but accurate. No fancy acrobatics. Just men intent on killing each other.Blood, tissue and brains. Ewww. The Seventies.

"Die Hard"(1988). That's right. It's in my list. The gunfights are larger than life, but the participants are having to work at it. They bleed, they sweat and scream and get hurt and die. Ahhhh. The Eighties.

"The Untouchables"(1987). Operatic gunfights. Terrific Ennio Morricone score, but no goddam somersaults and cartwheels.

"The Way of the Gun"(2000). Classic. People get hit. It isn't pretty. They miss and they expend ammo at a prodigious rate.

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969). The final gunfight. A mix of grim reality and an almost mythical quality. Those guys are good, but they're only Human in the end.

"Heat" (1995). I don't think I really need to say anything. Still the Gold Standard. Even Micheal Mann is still trying to top himself and in my humble opinion he hasn't done it yet.

"The Wild Bunch"(1969).
Pike: We're not gonna get rid of anybody! We're gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished! *We're* finished! All of us! Well in the end they were finished, but holy-cow they make sure to slam the door real hard going out.

"Dirty Harry" (1971). Slow shooting. Single shots, a beautiful S&W Model 29 thrown onto the concrete (oh the agony) misses etc. But the movie made the 44 Magnum a god and Inspector Callahan legend.

"Appaloosa" (2008).
Everett Hitch: That was quick.
Virgil Cole: Yeah, everybody could shoot.

"Terminator 2" (1991)
Okay I'm sort of breaking my own rule, but the Terminators aren't Human. And it's still a very cool movie.

"Ronin" (1998). Renowned for the car chases, but it has some pretty good gunfights thrown in for good measure.

Okay that's it for now. That's my list. What's yours? Oh and don't think I am saying you can't list John Woo and what not. For example I give honorable mention to "The Professional", "Lethal Weapon" and "The Last Boy Scout".

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-13-2016 at 03:59 AM.