imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-05-2010, 10:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Making false assumptions

We all make assumptions that are either wrong or proven later to be wrong. I've done tons in my lifetime so I'm not gonna rip people apart for doing it.

But over the years I've removed or edited comments which were technically NOT true.

"This rifle must be a Daewoo DR200 because it is cheaper to buy than a Daewoo K2" Huh? So what? The armorers had real Daewoos for years before the import ban. That has nothing to do with what is visible in a movie or tv show.

This rifle must be an HK93 because they are more common than HK33s. Again, not necessarily true. Not that it's false, but you can't make that assumption unless you know for sure. There are tons of full auto guns in Movie armories and what is available in American gun stores is NOT a good indicator of what is available in movies. Always default to the original PARENT weapon, unless there is actual proof in the movie otherwise.

"The pistol must be a Walther P1 instead of a Walther P38 because P38s are so rare now" Huh? Especially if the movie was made years ago, the P38 was NOT rare nor expensive at the time. Movie armories have tons of P38s from all those WW2 movies they made from the 1940s to the 1970s.

"the finger bulges on the forearms of the AKM are exclusive to that weapon" Huh? There are many AKM variants that have NO finger bulges in the forearms, even through the original Soviet ones did. And there were Norinco Chinese AKs that had Bulged foregrips put on them (I have one). Go by the front sight, the stamped receiver and the gas block BEFORE you use the wooden furniture as an identifier clue. Only use wooden furniture as an identifier if OTHER details of the weapon aren't visible.

"This launcher is a non firing prop because the actor is not seen loading it"
Whoa there cowboy. There are many reasons to describe a launcher or RPG or missile as a non firing prop, but not seeing the actor loading it on screen is NOT one of them. Most destructive devices are props in that they are not the real deal which fires real ordnance, but they still fire pyrotechnical charges, so they are still 'operational' as far as the movies are concerned. Only if it looks completely fake AND it is never seen firing in the film, can one make the comment that it is 'probably a non firing prop'.

Just a rant to let people know that some assumptions just aren't correct. And yes, I've made some big mistakes in the past (MT2008 has corrected me MANY TIMES) LOL. It is best not to add unnecessary hypothesizing unless you know for sure what you're saying is actually correct.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 07-06-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: (Walther P5 changed to P1 because GM45 corrected my retarded mistake! Doh!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
"The pistol must be a Walther P5 instead of a Walther P38 because P38s are so rare now" Huh? Especially if the movie was made years ago, the P38 was NOT rare nor expensive at the time. Movie armories have tons of P38s from all those WW2 movies they made from the 1940s to the 1970s.
Haha, I remember making that poor assumption for Rambo (2008) way back when.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

How do you mistake a P5 to a P38?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-06-2010, 04:12 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
How do you mistake a P5 to a P38?
My bad, my mistake was assuming a P38 was a P1. I'm curious if that's what MPM meant, as that makes more sense.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:16 AM

its okay we forgive you!.......fucking noob

but you know what assuming does? it makes an ASS out of U and ME! yay for stupid pointless words!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Two Six View Post
its okay we forgive you!.......fucking noob

but you know what assuming does? it makes an ASS out of U and ME! yay for stupid pointless words!
Haha, I was quite an ass two years ago.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
My bad, my mistake was assuming a P38 was a P1. I'm curious if that's what MPM meant, as that makes more sense.
Arghhh! See? GM45 is right. My bad typos, bad fingers bad fingers!!!! And it wasn't even MT2008 who corrected me. But seriously, I didn't want to pick on GM, but I felt I had to bring up an old example so that some of the other members didn't feel like I was targeting THEM only.

And to think, GM, no one would have remembered nor known that, until you reminded them! LOL

I'm gunna change it so that people don't think I'm completely retarded!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well, I used to think all AKs are alike and I still have trouble telling the difference between some.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-06-2010, 04:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well, I used to think all AKs are alike and I still have trouble telling the difference between some.
There's a difference between that and boldly claiming, "This is a AK-47, not a Chinese Type 56 because the freedom fighters historically used the original AK-47" when the pics show an obvious Chinese version.

Per my original post, I must clarify that in the early days of film, some armorers (NOT MOST) would try to fix their Chinese guns to look more Russian. I replaced a lot of my smooth sided foregrips with AKM forearms and even popped the .75" front sight off and temporarily replaced them (with roll pins) with the .5" AKM style front sights. When the AK74s were hot, I took a Type 84S and replaced the entire front sight end with the cut parts from an AK74. Back in the 1980s, the muzzle brake alone was over $100.00.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Are AK74s and blanks for them expensive?