imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-10-2010, 05:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Cross Categorize people! Don't forget!

I know, I know, I'm guilty of this myself, but I'm jumping in here (just like many other IMFDB members) when I have a few free moments from my actual job.

But we need to completely cross categorize when we create a page. I realized that many of the guns & Actors listed on pages I made were not listed (a lot of them WERE thanks to diligent IMFDB members), but seriously, I think the person responsible for 99% of the work on the page, SHOULD be responsible for cross categorizing it as well.

So the checklist AFTER completing your movie/TV/anime/etc page is:

- Immediately go the ALL of the weapons pages and list your page

- Immediately go to ALL of the actors (who have their own pages) and update their weapongraphies!

Thanks. Sorry for the repeat rant. And yes, I'm gonna try to cross categorize a BUNCH of the pages I built or at least make sure they are completely CCd.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 AM

Hmm, that could take a while, even just with the pages I've made or majorly contributed to. Are you sure such a process couldn't be automated?

Furthermore, several of the "this actor uses these weapons" and "this weapon appears in these pieces of media" pages have sections whose order is nowhere near standardized. Some are ordered alphabetically, others are ordered chronologically, and those of the latter type can't seem to make up their mind if they should go oldest-first or most-recent-first.

I think it's time the higher-ups over here brought down the gavel on this matter and announce what order goes with which type of page.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Hmm, that could take a while, even just with the pages I've made or majorly contributed to. Are you sure such a process couldn't be automated?
Um. Short answer: NO. Now quit being lazy and do it! That's PART OF THE PROCESS. If members don't want to do it, then they're not being very good members to the site.
Quote:
Furthermore, several of the "this actor uses these weapons" and "this weapon appears in these pieces of media" pages have sections whose order is nowhere near standardized. Some are ordered alphabetically, others are ordered chronologically, and those of the latter type can't seem to make up their mind if they should go oldest-first or most-recent-first.

I think it's time the higher-ups over here brought down the gavel on this matter and announce what order goes with which type of page.
Right now, the INFO is missing. You shouldn't stress out about what format it's in. I still input info to pages and I just input it in the format that's already there. No need to make a fuss about. If there is a standardization change in the future for those pages, fine. But getting the INFORMATION there is paramount.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:34 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

Actor pages are done oldest to newest, while weapon pages are newest to oldest. Some weapon pages that still have the standard text versus the grid pattern aren't done in any particular order. Whenever I add to one of those pages, I put the year after the movie. Then if I or another user converts it to grid pattern and chronological in the future, it makes it a little bit easier. I converted the Beretta 92FS movie list to grid pattern, but left it the order that was because very few had the year listed and it would have taken even more time to check each movie page to see what the year was.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM

The biggest problem I am having is with Television shows. When putting them in a grid I usually end up first putting all the shows that are finished and then those that are still running.
Another thing is extra information. Check the AR-18 article. I did not know what to do with the extra info in the films section, so I left it above the grid.

Last edited by Milkovich; 07-30-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkovich View Post
The biggest problem I am having is with Television shows. When putting them in a grid I usually end up first putting all the shows that are finished and then those that are still running.
Another thing is extra information. Check the AR-18 article. I did not know what to do with the extra info in the films secrion, so I left it above the grid.
That's when the hand * or ** or *** comes in. Have a "notes" section and if the notes are too long then put the asterisks in. Then at the bottom of the table have the asterisk notes, like footnotes. I think it looks very 'scholarly' when done right
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I think it looks very 'scholarly' when done right
lol, for lack of a better word