imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 PM

I love how so many people after some high profile shooting become delusional in thinking that more gun control laws will make criminals become law-abiding and not illegally acquire weapons.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 AM

#3 on this list tastes like cheap, improperly prepared prosciutto

http://listverse.com/2012/12/16/10-l...eak-your-bank/

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 AM

Or how a law banning a certain cosmetic feature is going to stop someone from committing an atrocity when they have already violated about a jillion other laws.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I love how so many people after some high profile shooting become delusional in thinking that more gun control laws will make criminals become law-abiding and not illegally acquire weapons.
Mass killers are not like career criminals who have access to extensive black markets. They're ordinary, otherwise law-abiding citizens who are mentally ill. What, you think a nerdy kid like Adam Lanza had connections to big-time gun gunners who could get him a military-issue M4 more easily than he got ahold of the Bushmaster AR-15?

I don't think those people are delusional at all. I think they go too far in insisting upon banning AR-15s, but they're not wrong for recognizing that (1.) an AR-15 is a far more dangerous in the wrong hands than a bolt-action rifle, and (2.) gun control laws in the U.S. are still inadequate, at least at the federal level.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-17-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 PM

Does anyone see the irony in Jewish and African American legislators calling for more "gun control?"
Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
Does anyone see the irony in Jewish and African American legislators calling for more "gun control?"
Yes I do. Among my friends the one who is a Jewish Liberal from New York has asked me not to reply to their gun control threads. It seems that by using facts and statistics I am highjacking their threads and getting more likes than they are. I guess they don't want an honest discussion on the issue and would rather tell millions of currently Law Abiding Citizens how to live their life.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM

The token liberal/yankee in my fraternity was railing against guns and when I tried to tell him how the Israelis dealt with school shootings, all he could reply with was since Israel "destroyed" Lebanon than anything they did was wrong.

*head desk*
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Mass killers are not like career criminals who have access to extensive black markets. They're ordinary, otherwise law-abiding citizens who are mentally ill. What, you think a nerdy kid like Adam Lanza had connections to big-time gun gunners who could get him a military-issue M4 more easily than he got ahold of the Bushmaster AR-15?

I don't think those people are delusional at all. I think they go too far in insisting upon banning AR-15s, but they're not wrong for recognizing that (1.) an AR-15 is a far more dangerous in the wrong hands than a bolt-action rifle, and (2.) gun control laws in the U.S. are still inadequate, at least at the federal level.
Who said anything about extensive black markets? Where I am, I can get my hands on a full-auto AKM, if I wanted, without much fuss just by talking to the right people, none of which have any links to international arms markets.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about extensive black markets? Where I am, I can get my hands on a full-auto AKM, if I wanted, without much fuss just by talking to the right people, none of which have any links to international arms markets.
Shit, until recently there was a guy in the same area of Beaumont a large portion of my family is from that'd make you supressors, zip guns, decent quality fully automatic homemade guns and was known to convert some rifles and pistols to full auto, and it wasn't exactly hard to get in touch with him.

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
(1.) A conservative, squarey-Q white boy (I presume) like yourself has criminal connections? What, do you know some local Crips who would deal illegal military-spec weapons to someone like yourself? (I'm guessing that if you tried that, you'd get "capped" on suspicion of being a Fed, if they didn't just kick your ass and take your money.) You're going to have to forgive my skepticism, especially given that anyone can make a declaration on the Internet without posting proof (as you have done).

(2.) Pretending for a moment that you're not Bsing: If it didn't come from overseas, that means it's probably a full-auto conversion of a semi-auto AK clone which originated at an FFL. I'm sorry to say that if this were the case, you would be making a very good argument supporting gun control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Shit, until recently there was a guy in the same area of Beaumont a large portion of my family is from that'd make you supressors, zip guns, decent quality fully automatic homemade guns and was known to convert some rifles and pistols to full auto, and it wasn't exactly hard to get in touch with him.
Same response I had for Spartan - don't you think gun controllers are going to point to this as an argument in support of more, not less, gun control? (Assuming you're telling the truth?)

Last edited by MT2008; 12-18-2012 at 09:44 PM.