imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM

Cool Me getting an Ar-15

So im new to the rifle and shotgun world. I'm well knowledged with my pistols. But I never received a gun license because the guns were manufactured and bought before any of the gun laws where implemented. Im interested in buying an AR-15 online because none of the dealers near me have any AKA I live in the boones.
Here are the specs im interested in also where to buy beside http://www.ar15builder.com/

-11.5inch barrel
-carbine handrail
-flattop receiver
-standard lower receiver
-adjustable stock
-10round magazine .22lr with conversion

Any tips or suggestions would be great also how do i get the FFL for online purchase Id rather just fill it out in store and stuff but id rather have the gun fully assembled. But so far i have yet to find a full assembled AR-15 with a 11.5 barrel. Also a concern of mine is not having all the parts for the gun having to buy more parts not knowing if their right sizes etc...
Old 11-24-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotborad View Post
So im new to the rifle and shotgun world. I'm well knowledged with my pistols. But I never received a gun license because the guns were manufactured and bought before any of the gun laws where implemented. Im interested in buying an AR-15 online because none of the dealers near me have any AKA I live in the boones.
Here are the specs im interested in also where to buy beside http://www.ar15builder.com/

-11.5inch barrel
-carbine handrail
-flattop receiver
-standard lower receiver
-adjustable stock
-10round magazine .22lr with conversion

Any tips or suggestions would be great also how do i get the FFL for online purchase Id rather just fill it out in store and stuff but id rather have the gun fully assembled. But so far i have yet to find a full assembled AR-15 with a 11.5 barrel. Also a concern of mine is not having all the parts for the gun having to buy more parts not knowing if their right sizes etc...
For the 11.5" you'll need to go to a Class III dealer and pay the additional $200 tax stamp...you need to do this before you get the gun and it could take up to 6 months for a SBR.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
For the 11.5" you'll need to go to a Class III dealer and pay the additional $200 tax stamp...you need to do this before you get the gun and it could take up to 6 months for a SBR.
Are you serious will I still have to go to class III dealer if its a 16in barrel? Also whats an SBR sorry im new to this legal world of guns.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Are you serious will I still have to go to class III dealer if its a 16in barrel? Also whats an SBR sorry im new to this legal world of guns.
16 is standard

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 PM

There are several different AR manufacturers out there that are fantastic. I personally recommend Stag Arms but the other guys will probably have suggestions as well

Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
16 is standard
Cool thanks so where can I buy one besides Online I preferably would like flat-top and adjustable stock. With two piece handguard no RIS system for handguard. And assembled or mostly assembled I will take it apart but id rather start with it already together. By the way im lookin to spend around 800 dollars or less. I live in south carolina. Also thanks for Stag arms looks nice but how do I get an FFL and how much does that cost.

Last edited by hotborad; 11-24-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Cool thanks so where can I buy one besides Online I preferably would like flat-top and adjustable stock. With two piece handguard no RIS system for handguard. And assembled or mostly assembled I will take it apart but id rather start with it already together. By the way im lookin to spend around 800 dollars or less. I live in south carolina. Also thanks for Stag arms looks nice but how do I get an FFL and how much does that cost.
Gunbroker is a good place to buy a gun and if you ask, the guys at the gunshop will help you out with the FFL part

Old 11-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Gunbroker is a good place to buy a gun and if you ask, the guys at the gunshop will help you out with the FFL part
Thanks for all your help S&Wshooter it is greatly appreciated and I will probably ask around next time I hit the range.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't get a ffl...you would find someone in your area that has a ffl and then you will have a gun sent to that person/business and do the background check there or you can straight out buy it at that ffl owner...I personally like S&W M&P15 but for under $800 your most likely looking at DPMS and its called a optic-only model if you want a flat top for cheaper...and SBR is Short Barrel Rifle
Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

if you want an AR-15 that shoots .22, you could just get any of the guns that were built as a .22 instead of a conversion and those .22 rifles are only about 500. You'd need different magazines as well for .22?

Is there a reason you want 10 round mags? I don't think South Carolina have a magazine law against higher capacity unless you plan on hunting with your AR-15, then I think 10 rounds is the rule for hunting with an AR-15.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Tags
ar15