imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff
Default Favourite "Gun" Video Games

I'm sure most of us here have favourite "gun movies". In other words, films that have exceptional gun handling, well executed shoot-outs, and/or feature particularly memorable guns. Along the same lines, there are a few games that I especially appreciate for their firearms. My favourite:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (IMFDB page)
Despite the mirrored weapon models, this is my favourite "gun" game for a variety of reasons. In many first person shooters weapons are just taken for granted, as if they're an extension of the player character. Walk over one you don't already have and it teleports into your inventory. Walk over any additional ones and they become a unit of ammunition. They're there and you never really have to think about them, beyond finding ammunition and using the right one for the task. STALKER, however, takes some pages from the RPG book, especially in regards to inventory management.

In the STALKER games, weapons can be drawn and holstered at will, dropped and picked up, stored for later use, and bought and sold. They degrade over time and jam on occasion. They can be unloaded whenever you like, or loaded with different types of ammunition (this is the first game I've ever played where you can choose between buckshot and slugs for your shotgun). You can even partially load a shotgun with one type of ammo, then top it up with another type, if you like...

They can be fitted with attachments such as sound suppressors, scopes and grenade launchers. Unlike many games in which select-fire guns are always stuck on full auto mode *cough*Modern Warfare*cough*, you can switch between fire modes on all weapons that have more than one (some have three). The weight of any given firearm is actually a consideration (since the amount of gear you can carry is limited by weight and stamina).

In the prequel (Clear Sky) and sequel (Call of Pripyat), you can also have your guns modified by a gunsmith to change their accuracy, rate of fire or muzzle velocity, or even rechamber them for different calibers in some cases. Not all of these modifications are very realistic, but none are downright absurd.

There is a wide variety of firearms. At one end of the scale there are break-action shotguns and small-caliber handguns like the Makarov pistol, and at the other there are modern rifles from both East and West like the VSS Vintorez and the FN F2000. No stockless machine pistols with zero recoil, no guns akimbo, no machine guns even. The extent of the cliched weapon choices are the Desert Eagle (heavy, expensive, rare, and nowhere near as effective as a rifle), and the SPAS-12 (heavy, expensive, rare).

The contrast between armed (and armored) human foes and unarmored but fast-moving mutant animals constantly makes you evaluate what kind of weapons (and even ammunition) to carry with you as you go out on missions. An assault rifle with a 4x scope loaded with armor-piercing ammunition is great for wiping out that camp of mercenaries, but what if you run into a pack of vicious dogs along the way? Better take a .45 handgun loaded with hollow-points or, better yet (and if it's not too heavy), a shotgun.

Finally, the game engine's ballistics, while not configured to be very realistic out of the box (that's what mods are for), is more robust than most, featuring drop over long distances, travel time and even ricochets (though not penetration of soft materials). Even hand grenades, upon detonation, unleash dozens of projectile fragments which act much like bullets, doing damage to anything they hit and ricocheting off of surfaces. I once saw a fragment from a hand grenade kick up puffs of dust as it skipped along the ground, like a pebble on the surface of a pond.

What are your favourite gun games?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM

Joint Operations. I still remember lying on a hill near the enemy base camp with the L115A1. For 3 hours I was lying there. Finally I knocked a guy clear out of his jeep. I cleared the hilltop and went closer to the enemy, figuring that they would most likely grab vehicles and run right past me. I figured right.

And firing the weapons in that game was so much fun. Simple reload animations and great firing sounds. The jungle maps. The first time in any game that I cranked up the volume to full. Crickets, birds, the water beneath my feet as I took cover in the brush. Enemies running just centimetres past me. The best thing was when you heard the explosion of your claymore behind you when the guys tripped them. So much fun.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 PM

I wouldn't say STALKER was one of the best FPS game i've ever played since it's all about the mixture of RPG and FPS(some called MMOFPS, but i have no idea what the hell it is), and it has tons of glitches that keep bothers me all the time, but i spend more than 30 hours just trying to finish main quest of SOC, and spend few more days on CS. Definitely liked both of 'em.

I hate to say since everyone hates it, but i still feels that MW2 came to one of the best games i've ever played.

Yeah...I know... It's about full of craps an noob tubes, and so on, but Single Player definitely drew my attention, so i kept playing the same mission over and over again, but it still had some thrills that i couldn't feel from other games i've played.

P.S) I liked MW1 too, but it had some blanks that makes me feel that this scenario doesn't have thrills like MW 2 had. Maybe it's because there were no betrayals and civilian killing sprees that other games didn't had, but MW2 had for some reasons.

However, I did quit MW2 now, and i am going back to Battlefield 2(NOT BATTLEFIELD: BAD COMPANY 2).
It's still fun, and using Havoc to destroy M1 Abrams never gets old XD
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

I can respect that, even though I dislike MW2 in a major way. I look for different things in a war FPS than most people.

My favourite FPS of all time is Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (in case you don't know it, it's the predecessor to ArmA 2, you've probably heard of that). By my measure, that's just as thrilling as an action-packed blockbuster like the Call of Duty games, but in a fundamentally different way. You can and sometimes do go for ten minutes or more without even being shot at. If you're careful (and lucky), it's possible to complete many combat missions without even being hit... but every time you are shot at, it comes with that holy shit feeling, because you know that it only takes one bullet in the right place to kill you instantly. That fear, that strong sense of mortality... war games just don't feel complete to me without it.

In Call of Duty, you're almost always being shot at so you kind of get used to it. You expect an ambush around every corner, and being shot is inevitable. I somehow doubt that anyone has ever completed a Call of Duty game without their character having been shot at least a few dozen times. For me, it loses much of its spark because of that, and turning the difficulty up doesn't help because as we all know Call of Duty on Veteran is just a meatgrinder in which the only way to succeed is to push push push through droves of baddies and hope you're lucky enough to survive their grenade spamming and "aim only for you and ignore all of your teammates"'ing. It's so linear that there's rarely any way to intelligently circumvent enemies.

Admittedly, it's entirely possible to get into jams like that in Operation Flashpoint, but if you do it's usually because you made some kind of bad decision, and there are almost always at least a few other ways you can go about it next time. Call of Duty's gameplay usually involves being shepherded down a completely linear path to the objective (or, if you're lucky, two different linear paths that lead to the same place and are equally infested with hostiles, big whoop), where you're told exactly what to do by superiors and have to wait until they open doors for you to proceed. Cinematic window-dressing aside, that's Call of Duty gameplay.

Last edited by MattyDienhoff; 08-24-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDienhoff View Post
You can and sometimes do go for ten minutes or more without even being shot at. If you're careful (and lucky), it's possible to complete many combat missions without even being hit... but every time you are shot at, it comes with that holy shit feeling, because you know that it only takes one bullet in the right place to kill you instantly. That fear, that strong sense of mortality... war games just don't feel complete to me without it.
Arma 2, Ambient Combat Module. Funfunfun.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 PM

America's Army: Rise of a Soldier

Still the best FPS I've ever played to date.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Has anyone ever played Eternal Darkness? It's old now, and was exclusive to the Gamecube. The whole game is just amazing, and the guns were no exception. They had accurate descriptions in the menu, and the characters handled them realistically. For instance, if you popped off 2 rounds from your revolver and reloaded, your character would eject 2 shells, and load in 2 more. Very nice attention to detail. I'm currently building the page for the game, you guys should come check it out.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juli888 View Post
I love the weapon in game Resident evil.
The firearms part of the most recent Resident Evils has been utter fail.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkovich View Post
Joint Operations. I still remember lying on a hill near the enemy base camp with the L115A1. For 3 hours I was lying there. Finally I knocked a guy clear out of his jeep.
Jesus Christ, you spent 3 hours doing nothing in a video game?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 PM
PMP

Operation 7: http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Operation_7
The article is incomplete but since I register I may help building it.

Anyway. Great game. Lots of guns, crazy amount of modifications for the guns. Runs nice. It's free and there are almost no hackers (at the present date and on Euro version).

BTW: I'm thinking of trying BF2 Project Reality. How are the guns on it?