imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 04-22-2011, 09:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Default Archer

Season 2 of Archer just ended. I know the topic has been bandied about a few times, but would anyone mind terribly if I made an Archer page? I have tons of screenshots.

Yes, it's American animation, but anyone who's watched the show will tell you that the animators have paid a fair amount of attention to details, especially in season 2. At the beginning of season 1, scaling was an issue, and some details were wrong, but by the middle of season 2, details were all in the right places, and you can actually see the guns cycling as they were fired. (Examples can be provided.)

So, any objections?
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

I probably won't be backed on this, but I've no problem with that. Animation is a pretty touchy subject on IMFDb but I have to agree the animators did a decent job drawing the guns properly. And gun fans who watch the show may wonder what the guns are that are being used in the show, for they are accurate to real life and can be identified.

And while irrelevant, the show is damned funny and putting quotes in throughout the page will add some nice humor to the site imo.

You have my vote for it, but I'm only one.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 PM

With Archer having seen a few episodes I would say yes to having an Archer page. Personally I feel that the quality of the depictions of the firearms does indicate that it's worthy of being on this website. Plus you do have to wonder what timeframe they are useing and why any espionage agent worth the name would use a Tec-9.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I probably won't be backed on this, but I've no problem with that. Animation is a pretty touchy subject on IMFDb but I have to agree the animators did a decent job drawing the guns properly. And gun fans who watch the show may wonder what the guns are that are being used in the show, for they are accurate to real life and can be identified.

And while irrelevant, the show is damned funny and putting quotes in throughout the page will add some nice humor to the site imo.

You have my vote for it, but I'm only one.
Matt and I talked about it through PMs a while back and thought they were drawn well enough to deserve a page. Also Checkman and Ben thought it was okay too. I think that's enough mods in agreement for a page.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The time frame is deliberately undefined. The styles, cars and Soviet Union would indicate the sixties, while the cell phones and modern pop culture references put it closer to today. The writer, Adam Reed, basically said it was out of laziness.

I'll try to have it up early next week. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 AM
IMFDB Admin

They basically just throw in all the James Bond nameless henchman guns, TEC-9s, MP40s, AKs, Skorpions, etc. etc.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 AM

I've seen the show and didn't care for it, but I have no qualms about it getting a page.

Go ahead and unleash the hogs of war.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I may be biased because I am a fan of "Archer", but I think it's fine to have a page for the show. Visually, "Archer" is way more like Japanese anime (which we allow) than "South Park" or "Simpsons"-style cartoons (which we don't allow), so I think that it technically would be in accordance with the rules.

When you categorize it, though, make sure the page has the "Anime" tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The time frame is deliberately undefined. The styles, cars and Soviet Union would indicate the sixties, while the cell phones and modern pop culture references put it closer to today. The writer, Adam Reed, basically said it was out of laziness.
The guns themselves are also from various time periods. Characters on the show have used modern weapons (i.e. Desert Eagles, TMPs, PSG-1s) alongside really old weapons (broomhandle Mausers, Webleys, MP40s, etc.) I pretty much gave up on trying to make sense of the show's time period.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-23-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Screenshots and descriptions are up. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to do the blurb.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

We need to add some sort of a disclaimer. Otherwise we'll end up seeing cartoon pages showing up.

Tags
archer