imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Tried Weaver first time.

Always shot iso, but decided why not try weaver? Id always shot revolvers poor in iso (although semis are okay

Well, recoil was less, muzzle went on target faster, i didnt seem to anticipate shots. Ill try it on an auto soon. Dont see why people poo poo weaver as outdated and think its iso or nothing, i like it.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 AM

What kind of stance were you using before? I myself use weaver but I have been familiarizing myself with Center Axis Relock. First I need to get used to a gun discharging that close to my face.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 AM

I was using ISO.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVETWOSEVEN View Post
What kind of stance were you using before? I myself use weaver but I have been familiarizing myself with Center Axis Relock. First I need to get used to a gun discharging that close to my face.
That stance is so awkward to me. You have to train your muscle memory to bring the gun up to the same place everytime. I admit I'm not well trained in it though so I could just be unaware how to do it properly (I looked up a guide for it, didn't help much though)

The only time I saw the CAR grip used consistantly was in the newest Splinter Cell game. Which was weird because he hadn't used such a grip in the previous installments, to my recollection.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:53 AM

I can shoot well within center mass groups at 15 yards and I can hit CDs and 4 inch clays at 50 yards with a Weaver stance. Works for me. And if you shoot revolvers more poorly than autos, it's probably the trigger pull and being more used to semiautomatics more than stance. I'm not very good with revolvers either and that's the conclusion I've come to as to why.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Trigger always gets me, a longer heavier pull i pull muzzle off target. So a sig dak trigger is hoot poor, a nice 1911 i shot nice. I like to squeeze, bang.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Last time I shot Center Axis Relock was with a Taurus 9mm 1911 and I noticed no change in group size with weaver and CAR.

Quote:
Trigger always gets me, a longer heavier pull i pull muzzle off target. So a sig dak trigger is hoot poor, a nice 1911 i shot nice. I like to squeeze, bang.
What you want to do is have a steady pull straight back, don't let off or slow down if your sights go off target, just bring it back up while pulling back still. I learned to shoot handguns with a Daisy Semi auto CO2 pistol with a heavy (8 lbs I think?) trigger that was long and thats how I learned to shoot handguns, self taught. The best way to learn to shoot handguns is to start off with double action, if you learn to shoot that first, you can shoot anything.

Dry fire really helps aswell, pick a "target" with your unloaded gun and pull the trigger while doing your best to keep the sights alinged and as you get better, pull the trigger faster.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVETWOSEVEN View Post
I learned to shoot handguns with a Daisy Semi auto CO2 pistol with a heavy (8 lbs I think?) trigger that was long and thats how I learned to shoot handguns, self taught. The best way to learn to shoot handguns is to start off with double action, if you learn to shoot that first, you can shoot anything.

Dry fire really helps aswell, pick a "target" with your unloaded gun and pull the trigger while doing your best to keep the sights alinged and as you get better, pull the trigger faster.
I'm a big fan of dry fire. Since I made it part of my routine I've seen a real improvement.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
I'm a big fan of dry fire. Since I made it part of my routine I've seen a real improvement.
I've always wanted to try out dry-firing, but I am not sure if doing so would harm my 4506 in any way

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I've always wanted to try out dry-firing, but I am not sure if doing so would harm my 4506 in any way
I use Snap Caps in all my firearms when doing dry fire. Even in the Ruger revolvers. The peace of mind is worth the extra expense in my opinion.