imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Son is now a genuine "Coastie"

Marcus graduated from the Coast Guard Boot Camp at Cape May, New Jersey on October 21st. We were there. He looked pretty impressive. They all did, but of course we are biased. He's now on his way to Valdez, Alaska for his first duty station.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:58 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Last edited by Jcordell; 10-28-2016 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:04 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

They were expecting rain which was why the graduation was indoors. Instead it rained the next day. Marcus's company started with 150 recruits. Sixty of them were reverted (sent back to a company a week back). I had no idea that the Coast Guard's boot camp was so demanding. There are only 43,000 "Coasties". Very small branch and military, but it falls under the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime. The Coast Guard is the only military branch that has the legal authority to enforce Federal Maritime Law and has the legal authority to arrest civilians. Oh and for those who are interested the USCG uses for small arms the following arms:

SIG Sauer P229R DAK .40 S&W pistol
Remington M870P 12 gauge shotgun
M16A2 rifle
M4 carbine
M14 Tactical rifle
FN M240 machine gun
M2 heavy machine gun

Marcus didn't like the trigger on the Sig. But he's used to the 1911A1. Nevertheless he qualified so he figured it out.

Last edited by Jcordell; 10-28-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Interesting that a military agency adopted the .40 cal for their pistols.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 10-29-2016, 12:11 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Interesting that a military agency adopted the .40 cal for their pistols.
The Coast Guard is under Homeland Security so it has flexibility denied to the other branches. I just assume they went with the 40 based on their mission. Good penetration, flat shooting and powerful. They deal with boarding sea going vessels that are frequently made of steel and they might have to engage somebody from a vessel several dozen yards out. I also found it interesting.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:03 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

At the risk of starting another .40 cal vs every other caliber...nope, I'm starting one. Personally I like the 9mm, especially in hollow point compared to the .40.

Realistically, depending on thick the steel is, most rounds would have trouble hitting through it, especially pistol caliber.

I've also found the military has always been oddly distrustful of its own troops with their own weapons, hence so many extra "safeties" on a handgun. First thumb switch safeties, then some saying they don't need thumb safeties but heavy double action/Single action triggers, then double action only triggers and the current side arm is still using a gun with a manual safety and a DA/SA trigger. Of course the caliber choice is up to the military, originally following the NATO standard of 9mm, but because of the BS surrounding hollow points, FMJs are allowed, which I think diminishes the real power of a 9mm. If you say vs body armor than no pistol caliber would matter since body armor will stop almost all pistol caliber saved for actual armor piercing ammo.

I'll power through it. It just peeked my interests, that's all.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Congrats! I'm sure you're proud.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Congrats! I'm sure you're proud.
We are. He's now up at Valdez, Alaska.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I had no idea that the Coast Guard's boot camp was so demanding.
Congratulations on your son making the cut. My guess as to why the boot camp is so demanding is that the "Coasties" have to be able to execute VBSS (AKA hostile boarding actions) operations on short notice or know how to survive at sea for possibly a very long time if they have to abandon ship. Heaven forbid if, in this day and age, a suspect ship being boarded and inspected is a waterborne suicide or dirty bomb, or is a "Q-ship" hiding a lot of people armed with RPG launchers and automatic weaponry.

Do they conduct regular sonar sweeps too? Nobody wants hostile submarines launching short-notice nukes at North America from unexpected locations in the Arctic. If a bunch of fishermen could snag a "Russian submarine" with their nets you never know what your son might find up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
The Coast Guard is under Homeland Security so it has flexibility denied to the other branches. I just assume they went with the 40 based on their mission. Good penetration, flat shooting and powerful. They deal with boarding sea going vessels that are frequently made of steel and they might have to engage somebody from a vessel several dozen yards out. I also found it interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
At the risk of starting another .40 cal vs every other caliber...nope, I'm starting one. Personally I like the 9mm, especially in hollow point compared to the .40.

Realistically, depending on thick the steel is, most rounds would have trouble hitting through it, especially pistol caliber.
Why stick with .40 S&W when you could add three millimeters to the casing, use the same bullets, use large pistol primer, and end up with a more versatile cartridge, the 10mm Auto? At least if you're stuck with just your handgun in a place like Alaska, even a Glock 20 will serve well against Polar Bears. The Danish government even issues it to their sledge patrols in Greenland.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:24 PM

Late again, but big congrats, JCordell. The young man's lookin' sharp indeed, excellent job on his part. I'm sure he'll go quite far.

As for the .40 cal bit, HSS uses .40 SIG 229s as well, doesn't it? Maybe it's just a case of simplifying their outfitting by using a standard piece and caliber between the lot.