imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-18-2015, 03:37 AM

If you want to count on those statistics and beliefs then we won't stop you, and I respect your right to think and carry how you choose to do so, and I can't fault you for making the decision to carry that way if you do it consistently and it works for you. However, I still think that a limiting notion like the one you have adopted is philosophically against the mentality of carry and preparedness in general, though, and that is why I personally opt for bigger guns and more ammo if I can get it without compromising concealment. I want to be prepared for worst case scenarios up to and including multiple assailants, like with a gang attack, or assailants with bigger guns than mine, like mass shooters. I also want to account for gun and magazine malfunctions, misses and the need for multiple hits if it comes down to it, which is not something that a subcompact or micro gun with one lone magazine will cover. I reiterate, I think it's great that you and probably millions of others have found those guns and have found a way to carry them consistently, but I still think that carry is philosophically about preparedness and that one should maximize their preparedness with their choice of gun and loadout, not minimize it based on arbitrary statistics or assumptions of the threats they may face. All due respect, we are carry brothers and I support that you carry 100 percent, but I implore you to reconsider your mentality and philosophy of your carry method for your own sake. Do with that what you will and whatever you do, keep carrying and stay safe.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I will always keep advocating different techniques and an open mind.

That being said, keep up a warrior mindset, practice practice practices and whenever you can, pay for top quality training.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-18-2015, 05:49 AM

At the risk of sounding pedantic or PC, I do want to say that the term "warrior mindset" implies a lot of things that don't fall in line with the traditional concealed carrier or the overall philosophy of a concealed carrier/gun owner in a civilized society. "Warrior" implies one who wages war in offensive capacities, and this is not really the case with a CCer. Not to mention it sounds very blowhard, macho and a bit pretentious considering the civil society in which we live. I believe in being conscious of your surroundings and proactive in your movements and the like, as well as using the appropriate amount of force in violent encounters where it is necessary, but I and other CCers are not "warriors" just because we carry guns to protect ourselves and/or the people around us. I'm sure there's a better term for what you call the "warrior mindset" that doesn't have the overtly brash masculine and offensive tinge to it, though I can't put it into words myself at this very moment. I appreciate the thought you are referring to, but I think the term you use to refer to said thought is a poor choice of words for the mentality and its ultimate intentions as it applies to civilian CCers.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:44 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well the mindset applies to not just males but females. It's not about being macho. It's about being able to fight. You can't just own a weapon and that alone comforts you. You need to be able to use it when the time comes. I could also call it the fighter mindset. I simply meant that once you have a gun and get training on how to use it, you need to keep in mind the power behind it and the responsibility of having one.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-19-2015, 06:16 PM

I would be uncomfortably carrying less than 15 rounds, minimum, myself. When I carry, it'll be an automatic, so I reckon I'll carry a spare magazine unless I have absolutely no choice.

Thinking about it, I might have to go with a small-ish .380 or something at first, since chances are good I'll be getting an internship in the fall that requires I not only travel through some shitty parts of Houston, but also wear slacks and a tie every day

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-20-2015, 02:49 AM

S&W 3913 TSW decocked by Eric with-held, on Flickr

My carry gun
Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
I would be uncomfortably carrying less than 15 rounds, minimum, myself. When I carry, it'll be an automatic, so I reckon I'll carry a spare magazine unless I have absolutely no choice.

Thinking about it, I might have to go with a small-ish .380 or something at first, since chances are good I'll be getting an internship in the fall that requires I not only travel through some shitty parts of Houston, but also wear slacks and a tie every day
If you want anything smaller than 9mm, your choice of ammo for defense has to be more specific. I know many that would go with specific ball ammo for .380 because it doesn't have the power of larger caliber. There's plenty of 9mm guns that are small ish that you can go with.