imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Whats happened to the Unit?

Its like my favorite show, but Ive noticed changes. At first, the show did great with realism, but now, it seems a comletely different style, and there more concerned with body count. Jonas even had a fight where he didnt take cover and there was even a sniper missing from about 100 yards. Bob took out like 8 guys witha handgun. The overall feel of the show is different too. Plus the spear of destiny episode which was just out of place, like how the monks didnt really exist?BTW, anyone know if its coming back for another season?

Last edited by k9870; 05-12-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I did notice the change in some of the realism in the story, but I guess the producers of the show wished for the characters to start racking up a higher body count and be perfect shots with their handguns at long ranges.

The spear of destiny episode was a bit out of placed and I don't know when the next season is coming out

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM

Yeah, I'm of the same mind with the spear of destiny episode. Definitely my least favorite. And I have been noticing the degrading level of realism. I love the show and hate to say it, but I think it's spiraling downhill.

Ah well, I have seasons 1,2, & 3 on DVD (still going to grab up 4 when it comes out, of course), so I can get my Unit fix whenever I need it.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 PM

What made it spiral though? New writers? Did the military advisor quit or something?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
What made it spiral though? New writers? Did the military advisor quit or something?
Could be a lot of things, more than likely there was a showrunner/producer change of some sort happening. Maybe Mamet has disconnected himself from the show to the point of not caring anymore.

I hope not. I like the show even if it's not spot on every week. It's still heads and tails above a lot of other shows.

I heard it was "on the bubble" meaning it's not been renewed or cancelled yet. This is the third season in a row it's been on the bubble though, so who knows.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Could be what happened with Ultimate Force, except this is a more noticable change than a sudden change

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 PM

I just want to see the old style, without 100 yard kimber shots and 1 guy taking out like 10 bad guys, i love the older episodes where they had more of a creative way to complete the mission using good tactics and teamwork over just shooting eveyone in sight.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 PM
IMFDB Admin

yeah the hitting a guy so far away and it's a kill shot was kinda stupid

Old 05-21-2009, 01:34 AM

It was cancelled, unfortunately. Another good show gone. I wonder If they had kept their realism if this would have happened? It may not have made a difference, apparently CBS wants "Sexy, Flashy shows"
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
It was cancelled, unfortunately. Another good show gone. I wonder If they had kept their realism if this would have happened? It may not have made a difference, apparently CBS wants "Sexy, Flashy shows"
Piss on CBS. They're too stupid to realize The Unit is the definition of a "sexy, flashy show". They're gonna regret canceling when the show's 9 million fans quit watching CBS.

But that's another great show down the hole, just like you said. It was the only one I ever looked forward to all week. I'll be glad when they release the Season 4 DVD set.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman