imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-30-2011, 11:37 PM

Default Getting a Blank adapted M1 Garand to run properly

I got 4 M1 Garands from my local legion to do work on and just got back from test firing them. They had an assortment of problems which consisted of short stroking, light primer strikes and just plain misfeeding. The blank ammo I was using was Military M1909 and it was crimped and I had a few ammo which I do not know what it was that had a casing similar to a regular round with the end filled with a red paper (I'm guessing) and I put a clip through the one that was misfiring every time and it functioned perfectly.

What can be done about them short stroking? Would shortening the mainspring be good enough to allow them to cycle?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVETWOSEVEN View Post
I got 4 M1 Garands from my local legion to do work on and just got back from test firing them. They had an assortment of problems which consisted of short stroking, light primer strikes and just plain misfeeding. The blank ammo I was using was Military M1909 and it was crimped and I had a few ammo which I do not know what it was that had a casing similar to a regular round with the end filled with a red paper (I'm guessing) and I put a clip through the one that was misfiring every time and it functioned perfectly.

What can be done about them short stroking? Would shortening the mainspring be good enough to allow them to cycle?
I had a funeral Garand in the shop once, it was short stroking because the gas port was clogged. Strip it down and make the gas port clean enough to eat off of, that should eliminate the idea of it being the gun and not the ammo. As for light primer strikes, just install a slightly heavier hammer spring.

Other than that, I don't know what other advice to give you. Good luck with them.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:11 AM

Alright I'll take a look at that next, I'll let you know if it changes anything.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:

Sorry for the dumb question, but are these BLANK adapted? Those red wax tipped rounds were THE standard for milspec blanks for a very long time. They were hot loads that cycled perfectly (in hollywood blank adapted rifles). I remember israel came out with green tipped star crimped 30-06 blanks that was underpowered compared to the red tipped blanks. But are these blank adapted? With what TYPE of blank adapter?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but are these BLANK adapted? Those red wax tipped rounds were THE standard for milspec blanks for a very long time. They were hot loads that cycled perfectly (in hollywood blank adapted rifles). I remember israel came out with green tipped star crimped 30-06 blanks that was underpowered compared to the red tipped blanks. But are these blank adapted? With what TYPE of blank adapter?
Its just a screw on at the end of the barrel.

I do have some lake city blanks with the red cardboard and these work fine but the star crimped blanks don't work with these reliably. Sometimes they cycle but most of the time they don't.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Its just a screw on at the end of the barrel.

I do have some lake city blanks with the red cardboard and these work fine but the star crimped blanks don't work with these reliably. Sometimes they cycle but most of the time they don't.
that particular BFA (blank firing adapter) was designed FOR the red Tipped blanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 PM

I figured it was considering the night and day difference between the two types of blanks. What kind of adaptor would work with the star crimped blanks? I'm no gunsmith and I don't want to spend a fortune on these guns considering they aren't mine.