imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 AM

Default Documentaries and reality TV

Another users posts have got me thinking. Should we eaven have pages on Documentaries and Reality TV?

I ask because we have pages on Gunner Palace and The War Briefing where they are Documentaries and all of the weapons shown are live and in most cases a known comodity. it would be like watching every single episode of Cops and listing the weapons seen.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

What's wrong with that? There are people out there (including me) who watch cops and wonder what guns are seen being stripped off a perp. I for one think documentary and reality have MORE right to be here than other TV shows because those guns are the really tough ones to ID. We've all seen Berettas in movies but how often do you see a Remington Model 11? For that matter, how many users here know what a Remington 11 is? (and don't cheat by searching it on google first). Or a Browning Auto-5? Or a Remington Model 8? A Remington Model 10? Not to insult anyone here of course, it is just we all know our basics but how versatile are you?

The real world is much harder for even the pros to ID everything and by combining minds on IMFDB, these unknowns are eventually discovered. God knows I could never ID all the snubbies and tiny autos carried by druggies on Cops.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I dunno, I tend to think documentaries are outside the scope of IMFDB. Generally speaking, I think the unspoken idea behind this site is that we identify guns in fictional media.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:55 AM
IMFDB Admin

I was hoping we could expand our horizon as far as entertainment, but you make a good point.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Another users posts have got me thinking. Should we eaven have pages on Documentaries and Reality TV?

I ask because we have pages on Gunner Palace and The War Briefing where they are Documentaries and all of the weapons shown are live and in most cases a known comodity. it would be like watching every single episode of Cops and listing the weapons seen.
The moment we start putting documentaries, Reality TV or News shows (specials) as a regular affair, it ruins entire purpose of the site, which was the fictional appearance of weapons in entertainment. We need to stop being so weak about enforcing a standard of what type of page belongs on IMFDB.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well there is the Mythbuster page, I think we had a Weaponology page, Future weapons page and of course Mail Call...What about those pages?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

For some reason, these shows don't feel like other documentaries. DEA seems a little too "Cop-ish" though. But the page is well made. And man, I would die if the Mail Call page was deleted.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Weaponology is still here. That reminds me I should as a friend of mine if he can get an Image of the China Lake Launcher from Kevin Dockerty. Preferably one with James Watson holding it. That is Unless someone has a Screencap of it already.