imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2009, 06:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

I agree wholeheartedly with YNH, and I have a few things to add:

* There's nothing unprofessional about rendering a quote exactly as it's said in its source material, including profanity.

* Censoring profanity in quotes looks silly, to say nothing of the fact that it's a bit hypocritical given that there is violent content here as well.

* Protecting minors from mature content is a noble cause, but, seriously, this is the internet. Any chatroom, comments section, multiplayer video game or forum is bound to have profanity, and I can guarantee you that you'll hear more profanity in a few online matches of Halo or Call of Duty than you'll find in all the quotes on this site put together, and I don't have to tell you how many minors play those games.

I know "it's a big problem so it's no big deal if we add to it" is no excuse, but this is just my realist take on things. Anyway, this site is obviously meant for a mature audience, and I dare say it wouldn't hold the attention of most minors for very long even if they did stumble across it (there aren't many explosions in screenshots).

* I do believe that using profanity in image captions or other text in articles themselves is very unprofessional. Use of profanity in the somewhat less formal sections of the site (on talk pages or the forum) is fine as long as it's not too excessive.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

The notion of violent content is not actually true. We rarely have heads exploding or viscera on pages (there are very few pages of real gore). The vast majority of the shots are people FIRING guns. And we don't have any real gory shots on the main page.

So I don't buy that "we have violent content" arguement. It's phony. Network TV will show violence, but they bleep out the profanity. Our society can accept some violence, but profanity is still offensive to some.

The Profanity looks unprofessional. I know that kids LOVE profanity. I can usually tell scripts written by high schoolers in that the profanity is ridiculous. Don't count Tarantino or the Script of Scarface, those are anomalies and rightfully so.

It's one of many issues in which there is an AGE gap of what is acceptable. I find the excessive profanity objectionable in that I don't want to be embarrassed when I show the page to others.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The notion of violent content is not actually true. We rarely have heads exploding or viscera on pages (there are very few pages of real gore). The vast majority of the shots are people FIRING guns. And we don't have any real gory shots on the main page.
But my point from earlier was, if a person is offended by profanity, aren't they just as likely to be offended by guns and anything related to violence? In which case, they're going to hate our site regardless of the profanity? The fact that we don't show "gore" isn't necessarily going to be relevant to such people; the fact that we are a GUN site is what's likely to offend them in the first place.

And as I've said before, everyone I know who likes guns also swears, though that's an anecdote.

Quote:
So I don't buy that "we have violent content" arguement. It's phony. Network TV will show violence, but they bleep out the profanity. Our society can accept some violence, but profanity is still offensive to some.
Personally, I think that's kind of ridiculous. It's OK to show some dude on TV mowing down lots of people with an automatic weapon, but a use of the "F-word", or a glance at a woman's nipples = evil? (and remember that on European TV, they're allowed to show tits, and they do) I always figured death was worse than profanity or nudity, but apparently, people disagree. Go figure...

Quote:
The Profanity looks unprofessional. I know that kids LOVE profanity. I can usually tell scripts written by high schoolers in that the profanity is ridiculous. Don't count Tarantino or the Script of Scarface, those are anomalies and rightfully so.

It's one of many issues in which there is an AGE gap of what is acceptable. I find the excessive profanity objectionable in that I don't want to be embarrassed when I show the page to others.
First of all, I agree with you that excessive profanity used by IMFDB members in conversation is immature, and that's why I keep telling Oliveira to watch how much he swears. THAT makes us look unprofessional, and I've told him so.

But quoting what ACTORS have said in a MOVIE is just not the same thing. I don't think you should be embarrassed to show your friends what the directors/screenwriters/actors in the movies were comfortable making up.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-05-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Personally, I think that's kind of ridiculous. It's OK to show some dude on TV mowing down lots of people with an automatic weapon, but a use of the "F-word", or a glance at a woman's nipples = evil? (and remember that on European TV, they're allowed to show tits, and they do) I always figured death was worse than profanity or nudity, but apparently, people disagree. Go figure...
Yes yes yes, and that's an arguement as old as television FCC rules. And I'm not here to debate it. American society has issues with nudity and language. They're okay with violence. Which is probably a good thing since we have some of the most liberties in private ownership of weapons (shrinking every day), but look at countries where there is tons of nudity in public view. You'll find weapons restrictions up the ying yang.

And it's not about what the screen writers come up with. It's about what WE CHOOSE to put on the main page. Sure, major movie had the quote " Fuck, Fuck Fuck..Mother-mother fuck, mother-mother fuck-fuck...mother fuck mother fuck mother mother fuck fuck. Noise noise noise 1-2-3-4 noise noise noise schmokin weed schmokin weed doin coke drinkin beers drinkin beers beers beers. rollin blunts smokin blunt who mokes the blunt we smoke the blunts." Doesn't mean we have to have the fucking thing on the main page!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yeah, but its not exactly gratuitous if it's related to the purpose of the quote. And if someone else said it.

Anyway, like I've said, is there anyone out there who would get offended at reproducing quotes said by actors in movies, but wouldn't get offended by the fact that we "glorify" firearms? It seems hard for me to imagine. Anyone who's that squeamish is probably a gun-hating moron in the first place. So I'm not sure who we're alienating by having these quotes.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDienhoff View Post
* Protecting minors from mature content is a noble cause, but, seriously, this is the internet. Any chatroom, comments section, multiplayer video game or forum is bound to have profanity, and I can guarantee you that you'll hear more profanity in a few online matches of Halo or Call of Duty than you'll find in all the quotes on this site put together, and I don't have to tell you how many minors play those games.
Just because other places are loaded with profanity doesn't mean we should have to drag ourselves to their level.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It's not "dragging ourselves to other's level"

And we're just quoting a movie. If there is one swear in an awesome quote, then it's acceptable. But we should not really swear in firearms description. Everything else should be professional.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
It's not "dragging ourselves to other's level"

And we're just quoting a movie. If there is one swear in an awesome quote, then it's acceptable. But we should not really swear in firearms description. Everything else should be professional.
Some of these quotes are NOT awesome. in fact some of them are kinda stupid. Can those be removed? Again, a lot of guys (esp teens) think a remotely funny joke is made hilarious with the inclusion of profanity. Believe me. The older you get, the more stupid it looks.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 AM

Thank You MVM2008, that's exactly what i was thinking, and some of them are just plain retarded. like the one by megan fox: serously, wtf?
and the one from shoot em up (i think, the one where he says something like: i hope thats not a pussy in your hand/tough guy shit/ no, im a pussy with a ...load of bs...... that doesnt even complement guns!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:32 AM

MPM2008, if anyone should delete those quotes it should be you.....please