imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 10-24-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
In that case, get a Glock. .357 Magnums in single action revolvers can kick kind of unpleasantly, where as a Glock won't be any problem to shoot with.
Recoil does not concern me. The price does though. 19 it is, if I decide to use the money to get a handgun

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
While per box of 50, 9mm is definitely cheaper. About a $5 to 6 difference. But you end up shooting more I feel. Shoot 3 mags, you're at 45 rounds. 3 full cylinders you're only at 18.

.380 has gotten to be more than 9mm, with everybody getting pocket carry guns.
I buy my ammo wherever it's cheapest, which is more often than not at Wal-Mart. When buying there, a box of 9mm is about 10 dollars, a box of .357 Magnum is about 25, aka a 15 dollar difference, which is a bit steep for me. I do agree that "less is more" when it comes to .357 Mag though; I usually feel done after about 100 rounds, but next to the 250 rounds of 9mm I can get for the same amount of money, I'd rather shoot the 250 9mms I can get and not feel so done afterward. You can do certain drills a lot easier with wondernines too like rapid fire or controlled pairs, without having to reload so often (though you will have to load magazines). That may not be possible if you're at a range that prohibits such things, but even so I take my 9s out far more often than I take my .357 Mag out to the range.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I buy my ammo wherever it's cheapest, which is more often than not at Wal-Mart. When buying there, a box of 9mm is about 10 dollars, a box of .357 Magnum is about 25, aka a 15 dollar difference, which is a bit steep for me. I do agree that "less is more" when it comes to .357 Mag though; I usually feel done after about 100 rounds, but next to the 250 rounds of 9mm I can get for the same amount of money, I'd rather shoot the 250 9mms I can get and not feel so done afterward. You can do certain drills a lot easier with wondernines too like rapid fire or controlled pairs, without having to reload so often (though you will have to load magazines). That may not be possible if you're at a range that prohibits such things, but even so I take my 9s out far more often than I take my .357 Mag out to the range.
Yeah, it will be way easier to find the Glock itself, in addition to the availability of 9mm over .357.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I buy my ammo wherever it's cheapest, which is more often than not at Wal-Mart. When buying there, a box of 9mm is about 10 dollars, a box of .357 Magnum is about 25, aka a 15 dollar difference, which is a bit steep for me.
I often buy from ammo to go. 9mm fmj is around $11, .357 fmj is $17. But if you buy in bulk 500 rds or more you really start seeing a difference.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 PM

smith and wesson, what happened to the getting a cz75? You go from the sexy cz to the boring glock. Everyone and their brother has a glock these days, a cz is less seen and has the cool factor. And I put an XD above a glock, XDs have a real confortable grip thats almost perfect with decal grip.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
smith and wesson, what happened to the getting a cz75? You go from the sexy cz to the boring glock. Everyone and their brother has a glock these days, a cz is less seen and has the cool factor. And I put an XD above a glock, XDs have a real confortable grip thats almost perfect with decal grip.
It all comes down to this: I can work the slide on a Glock and I cannot, I have discovered, work the slide easily on the CZ75 because it is so small. Hell, if it weren't so hard to find them, I'd probably get a Makarov or a 9mm S&W 3rd Gen. Most of my purchases depend on a few things: ease of use, availability of mags/ammo/parts, handling, and how hard it is to find the gun

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 10-24-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
How well does the 19 shoot? Out of all the Glocks, it is the only one that I don't think feels awkward and I might consider getting one at some point. I've decided not to get a new rifle or an M&P so I'll have money for a different gun and I'm torn between a Ruger single action .357 and a Glock
Personally I find the G19 to be a good shooter. It's design makes for a very natural pointer. It sits low in the hand and I find the grip to be a very managable size for me. It has a very clean design as well and it's easy to break down. Add to this the fact that the 9mm Luger is an easy shooting load and I find the Glock 19 to be a very easy to use and operate handgun.

Now many here in this forum know I'm a revolver guy and this is true. The revolver is my favorite. But I find the Glock 19 to be a very good real world pistol. Many of my handguns are pieces that I've wanted for many years. As a result I baby them and they spend most of the time in my safe or on my work bench being cleaned for the umpteenth time.

My G19 is truly a tool and I find it to be a good one.

P.S. I also like the classic Sig design, the Browning Hi-Power, Mauser C/96 and the Beretta 92F. But for "real-world" applications I have no heartburn with Glock.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Personally I find the G19 to be a good shooter. It's design makes for a very natural pointer. It sits low in the hand and I find the grip to be a very managable size for me. It has a very clean design as well and it's easy to break down. Add to this the fact that the 9mm Luger is an easy shooting load and I find the Glock 19 to be a very easy to use and operate handgun.

Now many here in this forum know I'm a revolver guy and this is true. The revolver is my favorite. But I find the Glock 19 to be a very good real world pistol. Many of my handguns are pieces that I've wanted for many years. As a result I baby them and they spend most of the time in my safe or on my work bench being cleaned for the umpteenth time.

My G19 is truly a tool and I find it to be a good one.

P.S. I also like the classic Sig design, the Browning Hi-Power, Mauser C/96 and the Beretta 92F. But for "real-world" applications I have no heartburn with Glock.
I've heard nothing but praise for the G19. I've handled quite a few Glocks but the 19 is the only one that didn't feel wrong. Hopefully I can find one of the 2nd Gens so I don't have to put up with the finger grooves

Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 PM

I wouldn't rule out a CZ 75 (is it a B version?) just because you couldn't rack the slide easily the one time you got to handle one. More likely than not, the gun will eventually break in and your muscles will become attuned to the action. It'll probably be as cheap or cheaper than a new or used Glock pistol too, and it'll be brand new at that. I got to handle a broken in Jericho 941 (CZ patterned) and I didn't have any problems racking the slide. That might come to me in part from having a Hi-Power, which has a stronger recoil spring than most guns, but that's also evidence of the muscle memory I was talking about.

Not saying the Glock is a piece of junk or anything, I respect what they are and their usefulness as it seems to me, but I do think the CZ 75 is a better overall pistol for general non-duty use (excluding CC for some people who either can't carry or can't hide anything but a snub or mousegun). Plus you get to say you have a pistol based on one of Jeff Cooper's favorites.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out a CZ 75 (is it a B version?) just because you couldn't rack the slide easily the one time you got to handle one. More likely than not, the gun will eventually break in and your muscles will become attuned to the action. It'll probably be as cheap or cheaper than a new or used Glock pistol too, and it'll be brand new at that. I got to handle a broken in Jericho 941 (CZ patterned) and I didn't have any problems racking the slide. That might come to me in part from having a Hi-Power, which has a stronger recoil spring than most guns, but that's also evidence of the muscle memory I was talking about.

Not saying the Glock is a piece of junk or anything, I respect what they are and their usefulness as it seems to me, but I do think the CZ 75 is a better overall pistol for general non-duty use (excluding CC for some people who either can't carry or can't hide anything but a snub or mousegun). Plus you get to say you have a pistol based on one of Jeff Cooper's favorites.
I have handled several CZ 75's and a few variants and I've always had trouble working the slide