imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 AM

Default Just bought a new rifle.

A Stevens 200 in .308 Winchester, and I am very excited for deer season
Old 06-24-2009, 12:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

Sounds nice, I think I test fired one once but it was a while ago. Your lucky you can deer hunt with a rifle, my region's shotgun only.

Then again, I've kind of stopped hunting in general so it isn't a big deal for me.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 AM

Good choice, I sold alot of those when I worked at the gun shop and they're great rifles, espescially at that price. What kind of scope are you mounting?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 AM

Pics or it didnt happen
Old 06-24-2009, 03:31 PM

k9870, It did, and I will as soon as I get my camera working. And Nyles just a cheapo 9x Tasco I have, In Georgia you don't need much more than that, around here most deer are taken at 100 yards or less. And GM shotgun only? That's sad, do you atleast get to use dogs?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

To hunt deer? I don't drive hunt, so that wouldn't be neccessary. Drive hunting is dangerous and forces you to shoot at a running animal that is in the same direction of your fellow drivers.

I just sit in a hole with my head popped up and wait a long time. I also toss out some doe piss in tissues stuffed in water bottles. Without some lure finding a deer is pure luck.

I only hunt if I can use my dad's shotgun. It is a Browning A-Bolt with a rifled barrel in 12 Gauge. You can't find these anymore, and it is undoubtedly one of the most accurate slug guns ever made. Even look on the major gun selling sites, you'll be lucky if you find the smooth bore A-Bolt shotgun. This thing can hit a deer easily at 80 yards.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM

That's why they only allow shotguns to hunt with dogs down here in Georgia, and it's not just like a line drive hunt, dogs are let loose on one side of an area of woods, and then they drive the deer to the other side, but the distance from shooters to the dog handler is well more than 50 yards and through woods. So it's pretty safe, and slugs are a no-no for that. Buckshot only.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJedRevolver View Post
That's why they only allow shotguns to hunt with dogs down here in Georgia, and it's not just like a line drive hunt, dogs are let loose on one side of an area of woods, and then they drive the deer to the other side, but the distance from shooters to the dog handler is well more than 50 yards and through woods. So it's pretty safe, and slugs are a no-no for that. Buckshot only.
Interesting way to deer hunt. Sitting in a tree stand and playing the waiting game or stealth hunting are my preferred methods of deer hunting up here in Minnesota.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirearmFan View Post
Interesting way to deer hunt. Sitting in a tree stand and playing the waiting game or stealth hunting are my preferred methods of deer hunting up here in Minnesota.
Down here they gave and took for that, they can only hunt with rifles in certain times of the season, (I'm in North Ga, so it's they). It is very interesting, according to my relatives it's the funnest way to deer hunt.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:29 AM

Many areas just west of the Twin Cities are shotgun only, but otherwise most of MN is rifles or shotgun.