imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Anime otaku

I was wondering is anyone a fan of anime since I've been doing some of my pages in the anime section. Especially the one about Hellsing. http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Hellsing

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I was wondering is anyone a fan of anime since I've been doing some of my pages in the anime section. Especially the one about Hellsing. http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Hellsing
I've always considered 'Otaku's as guys who will never get a girlfriend, get mad crushes on fictional animated females, live in their parent's basements or attics, the kind of mentality that (in the U.S.) makes them veer towards the 'furrys' and other such fringe elements. Anime fan or enthusiast is a better term LOL

And no. I am NOT an anime fan. Not that I haven't enjoyed some of the classic anime movies and series (Akira, Lupin, etc.) and I was an early fan of the Yamato series, but once I started working more and more on live action projects, I spent less time even thinking about animation. But that's just me.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM

I agree with MPM on the subject of Otakus and anime, couldn't have said it better myself, but as for forgetting about it, I sort of dip in and out. I tell you, if it weren't for Black Lagoon, though, I peobably wouldn't have come back. Lupin was good, not for the guns or animation quality, but it was funny.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

otaku is technically the Japanese word for geek or speciality. Like you can be a geek at anything, well Otaku was supposed to be a term for a geek or your speciality, but most would associate it with anime now.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I've always considered 'Otaku's as guys who will never get a girlfriend, get mad crushes on fictional animated females, live in their parent's basements or attics, the kind of mentality that (in the U.S.) makes them veer towards the 'furrys' and other such fringe elements. Anime fan or enthusiast is a better term LOL
Eh, not all of them. I knew several guys who were big into anime when I was in college, and they had girlfriends (or had had girlfriends before). Though suspiciously, they were always Asian girlfriends.

Anyway, I sometimes watch Sci-Fi's "Anime-Mondays", but I've just never been that big into it.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
IMFDB Admin

I guess i'm not a complete fan. I only watch particular ones. A lot of the action, comedy etc are pretty good. Really there is an anime out there for everyone. You dont have to be a fan of every anime, it's like saying who's a fan of every cartoon that was ever made. etc. Anime is drawn, but it has genres and themes for all kinds of ppl.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

They do tend to draw really impressive renderings of the guns used by the characters, that's for sure.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Sometimes the detail is so impressive it is sad when it is missed. For instance, I think it is on Full Metal Panic you can see the 1911 says 1911-A1, which is how Springer writes their logo. I've been meaning to change that and now MPM has some nice pics of them so it will look better.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
otaku is technically the Japanese word for geek or speciality. Like you can be a geek at anything, well Otaku was supposed to be a term for a geek or your speciality, but most would associate it with anime now.
Otaku is a 'fanboy'. And it's usually a pejorative, used to derisively describe uber geek fans. No one is proud to be called an Otaku , at least over here.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 AM

Anime Fan here, and proud. But there are much bigger fans then me. For instance I have never been to any kind on convention or expo, and I dont have any overwhelming desire to go to Japan.

I do love some of the gun work in anime, Hellsing and Trigun stand out. Black Lagoon is wonderful too. Revy makes Laura Croft look like a girl scout.