imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Self Defense

Since the other thread is going off topic, I've decided to make a thread about the subject matter here and reposting my last post

I like the shotgun an they are really good and I live with my brother. He can work his 870 like a surgeon, but I prefer my AR for awhile. Semi auto, lighter recoil, more rounds in case I miss, which I trained to not often. If I do miss, it's 1 small hole verse a bunch of hole with buck shot. Also faster to reload when empty. I've been trying the ETS group magazines with their built in coupler mags

Right now, I got my paperwork started on SBRing my EVO an that could be my potential bed side gun. It's shorter, so it can work tighter spaces better. People debate the effectiveness of a 9mm, but out of a carbine like gun and hollow points...it's pretty effective.

I've also been looking at suppressors. My "ultimate" HD gun could eventually be a SBR AR-15 with a suppressor attached in .300 blackout. Very potent round out of an SBR and pretty damn quiet.

I've taken a bunch of classes over the years, starting with basic, refreshers, advanced carbine courses, etc. A buddy of mine is a Recon Marine and he was the one that taught me how to shoot my AR.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 AM

Smith & Wesson 3913 as its always out and my carry gun out of the house anyways. All my other guns are locked up.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:27 AM

LCP and/or Model 39 if I go anywhere

FNX by the bed with a flashlight and a set of electronic earpro

1300 Defender on the wall with a full tube, empty chamber, and unlocked pump (target loads but better than nothing)

AR right inside the closet door

P22 on top of the bookshelf by my bedroom door

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I don't have a large home, but since I only live with my brother, my guns are close to get access on. If I'm about to leave, or I just got home, I'd be wearing clothes suitable for carry outside and I'd be strapped. It's only when I'm completely relaxed/ready to sleep/etc is when I'm not actually carrying a gun at home.

I recommend people to dry fire and practice how their guns handle inside their home, what it's like to walk down your hallways with your gun out at night and know where everything is inside and out so if it does happen, your movements are instinct.

I practice with my brother when he actually has time. We usually just go over where we'd be and how we get to each other and protocol for calling the cops while we wait in defense. We do practice clearing our house, but only as a last resort. We usually wait in defensive positions in our rooms with phone in hand and gun in the other. My brother actually has his car keys nearby and he said if there's a definite intruder, he would turn his car alarm on after calling the cops.

A car alarm or even home alarm might not deter a criminal coming in, but it is loud and attracts people. It's also a good beacon for the cops. My brother would rehearse telling the cops our address and that his car alarm is set off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If you shoot someone with that SBR, be ready to have to sue the PD to get it back
You'd bet I'll get my gun back. I know many guys who get their guns back after using them or even presenting them to threats. It takes time, but I'll pay that price.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 06-15-2016, 09:30 PM

All good stuff. At the most basic though that's pretty much it - Drill. Drill with your weapon - drawing & dry-firing etc, drill with movement and stance, build environmental models you can execute and drill on them. Drill, drill, drill.

Anyway, I like Excalibur's setup(s) for inside, well-met. Use of the car alarm is a nice one. Use whatever you can to your advantage.

I'll most likely carry a .38 snubbie, might move to an auto later but I'm a fan of wheelguns and comfortable with them right now - they certainly work, especially for someone admittedly still more on the novice side like myself. Would also be the close gun from the bed as well. (Light and so on nearby as well)

Otherwise.. Inside I'd probably be like S&Wshooter - 12 gauge on the wall or thereabouts, pretty similar setup there. That'd mostly be it, anything else I'd probably have locked up tight.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 AM

Hell, I'm at the point that if I'm not wearing glasses I automatically aim with my better (nondominant) eye. Handle the FNX every night before I sleep just to keep familiar

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 06-16-2016, 03:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

I have back up iron sights on my rifle, but at night, when you wake up suddenly, it is hard to focus even with adrenaline pumping. I tried that as an experiment. I unintentionally had less than enough sleep and tried to get up for work, then the thought occurred to me to see what if I am getting up reacting to an intruder? So I did a live drill where I tried to find my rifle, grab it and aim it at the door. I found that while I was still trying to wake up and focus, I could only see the red dot. So a red dot is very helpful.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Hell, I'm at the point that if I'm not wearing glasses I automatically aim with my better (nondominant) eye. Handle the FNX every night before I sleep just to keep familiar
Something I should work on a bit more, as likewise my dominant eye is the worse of the two. Granted my eyesight's fairly shit without my glasses anyway, but still. I'm part-way there though, as glasses or no I have to force focus on the non-dominant when I wield a shoulder arm, since the dominant's my left and I'm a righty shooter. Doomed to have to do things the hard way it seems.

I do have to say I've shot pretty damn accurate (especially on handguns) with my crappier left eye since getting the paramount nerd-look accessory, though. So obviously I'd prefer to stick with glasses if possible, though of course that may not always be an option. Again, working on it what I can.

Last edited by StanTheMan; 06-17-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:25 AM
IMFDB Admin

Right now, I got 2 mags together on my rifle for defense. I've been thinking of getting a better carry rig to put on if the situation needs be. Most likely not, but if I needed to move from my defensive position where all my extra ammo is, there is only 61 rounds for my rifle to shoot.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

I've also been looking at body armor. I hear AR500 has good prices