imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Being open to everybody doesn't work too well. It's made wikipedia into a mishmash clusterfuck of unreliable information, which is why they're starting to crack down on their users. Blocking ip addresses linked to Scientologists, deleting the massive catalog of homemade nude photos, policing edits of religious fanatics to the point that those people ran away and made their own wiki in some dark exiled corner of the internet, not exactly things that are in the spirit of being free and open, but necessary to ensure the integrity and reliability of the site.
Last I checked, Wikipedia also doesn't require Admins to approve all new users. Unless something's changed since I first signed up over there.

Quote:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Block the trolls out before they can get in and you'll reduce your workload. And this website already bans people, that's not my suggestion. My idea would probably decrease the number of bans. That's not draconian at all, considering the admins already have (and wield) the power to ban.
...which is assuming guilt before innocence. Sounds quite draconian to me. Most people who join are not trolls and make useful edits. Sorry, but once again, NO.

Quote:
It's my solution to your problemYou came to the forums with a complaint, I answered with the best solution I could think of. I only champion this cause in threads you post.
At this point, what you are doing is "championing" a cause because you can't seem to admit you're wrong.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
We're in the future now. Get somebody to figure out a way to automate the filtering process.
The Solution here is simple YOU DO IT or shut the hell up.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The Solution here is simple YOU DO IT or shut the hell up.
That's a very hostile way to treat somebody who is solution oriented, especially since it's your complaint I'm trying to help you with. I've planted the seed of an idea, how about we encourage others to continue the process of creating something collectively instead of shouting down somebody who's actually trying to think of something.

How about you do something about it shut the hell up, seeing as it bothers you in the first place. And if you don't want my input, or anyone else's, then don't post on a public forum. If it really is an administrative issue, then take it up with the other admins and try to come up with a solution yourselves. That what you're supposed to do, administrate. We're just the forums over here. I'm just an idea man, a hypothesist. I've done my part in this collaboration, that's what a wiki is supposed to be anyway, a collaboration.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Wow, POI, you just do not know when to quit, do you?

Quote:
That's a very hostile way to treat somebody who is solution oriented, especially since it's your complaint I'm trying to help you with.
Do you want to be the pot or kettle? We've told you that your solution is not practical, and you haven't managed to address the shortcomings, other than to suggest that someone else figure them out. And even if your "solution" didn't have issues, it's the message board equivalent of trying to perform root canal with a jackhammer.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
t's the message board equivalent of trying to perform root canal with a jackhammer.
Except that it's not for the message board, it's for the main site.

Set a simple criteria for submissions, minimum number of words and/or photographs. Anything less than that would be automatically detected and thrown out. It's essentially a word counter. Anything decent that gets through wouldn't even need to be read in depth by an admin. Give it a glance over and if it looks like some effort was put in, then let it through. It'll go up as a normal page and be subject to the normal editing process by the rest of the members, the new guy gets in, everybody's happy.

Toss in a spellchecker to automatically delete lengthy submissions consisting of "adsf ljs sdlkf alsdasdlfih a;sd".

You all keep saying that this is going to increase manhours spent on the site, but there doesn't seem to be any argument that can be made to back that up. It just seems to be a case of "we don't want to deal with it", even though you already are dealing with it, just in a less direct, more tedious and (for MPM) frustrating way.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
You all keep saying that this is going to increase manhours spent on the site, but there doesn't seem to be any argument that can be made to back that up. It just seems to be a case of "we don't want to deal with it", even though you already are dealing with it, just in a less direct, more tedious and (for MPM) frustrating way.
Actually WE (as in WE) don't have the administrative rights to do so. Such a thing would have to be done by Bunni for he ALONE has the administrative rights. So you're saying that WE are not dealing with it, when you don't seem to understand that WE (i.e. all the mods) don't have the power to make that sort of change to the site.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Actually WE (as in WE) don't have the administrative rights to do so. Such a thing would have to be done by Bunni for he ALONE has the administrative rights. So you're saying that WE are not dealing with it, when you don't seem to understand that WE (i.e. all the mods) don't have the power to make that sort of change to the site.
Then ask him to do it. Ask him to do something. Where do you even think these rants of yours on the forums are ever going to go?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Then ask him to do it. Ask him to do something. Where do you even think these rants of yours on the forums are ever going to go?
Here's an idea. Feel free to ignore ALL my rants? Can you do that? Is that possible for you to do? Just a thought.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Here's an idea. Feel free to ignore ALL my rants? Can you do that? Is that possible for you to do? Just a thought.
Yeah. No one is forcing you to read them

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-25-2010, 02:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are a very angry person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Yeah. No one is forcing you to read them
Nobody's forcing anybody to read anything so why complain about any of it?
Closed Thread