imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 01-05-2013, 06:37 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think nowadays, western armories can supplement their lack of AK74s with replicas like Airsoft if they are for non firing scenes.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think nowadays, western armories can supplement their lack of AK74s with replicas like Airsoft if they are for non firing scenes.
Airsoft has been a major boon to the film and TV industry; there's large supplies of weapons that are realistic down to pretty much every detail that will appear on film, to the point where the guns are literally indistinguishable from each other until you take them apart (and cover up any necessary markings, of course). Some of them are real enough to fool people who are used to firearms until they examine it in more detail. All for a price that's not only cheaper than a fully automatic assault rifle (plus the blank conversion and ammo), but has almost no legal strings attached.

And that's not even getting into minor background actors and weapons walls, where you can get away with buying the $30 Wal-Mart guns, optionally dolling them up to look more convincing. Not to mention that with CGI improving and the pool of talented (enough) special effects wizards and animators increasing, you can often just give your actors cheap airsoft guns and use digital firing effects.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:47 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitoryu12 View Post
Not to mention that with CGI improving and the pool of talented (enough) special effects wizards and animators increasing, you can often just give your actors cheap airsoft guns and use digital firing effects.
The movie armorers active on IMFDB would beg to differ on that, I am sure. They would be out of a job if it were true.

In all seriousness, while airsoft guns have obviously become very popular for non-firing scenes (as can be seen on countless IMFDB pages), I doubt that they will ever replace real guns in firing scenes. It still costs far more to hire a digital effects team - especially on a production that has no other digital visual effects - than to hire a single armorer to supervise the use of blank-adapted real weapons on the set. Even with all of the legal restrictions that apply nowadays, gunfire with real weapons and blanks is still one of the cheapest effects that filmmakers can add to their movies or TV shows.