imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
I'd say the T-72 was a fake, since it is narrower than the real vehicle, taller, has a shorter cannon and the position of the smoke dischargers is wrong. Also, Army Trucks Inc was responsible for the vehicles in that film so it is likely that it was another tank that was modified to resemble a T-72. The only U.S-filmed movie that I can think of that has a genuine T-72 is Transformers, during the scene where Captain Lennox's team is ambushed by Scorponok in the desert, and in that case the tank was wrecked.
Hmmm, IMCDB has it down as a real T-72, but I guess you might be right. Still, considering that surplus T-72s can be purchased for as little as $100,000 from Ukraine or other Eastern Bloc countries, I'd be rather surprised that the rental companies didn't acquire any.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I just recently saw Red Dawn. Suspending the impossibility of a Russian invasion without nuking Russia into the next century, it was pretty good. The iconic scene, "Wolverines" was awesome.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Hmmm, IMCDB has it down as a real T-72, but I guess you might be right. Still, considering that surplus T-72s can be purchased for as little as $100,000 from Ukraine or other Eastern Bloc countries, I'd be rather surprised that the rental companies didn't acquire any.
The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits Americans from acquiring any military vehicle made after 1968. Anything made after 1968 must be built from other 'grandfathered' vehicles. The only exemption is a museum which had approval from the DOD and ATF. No one in the U.S. will get a T-72 in a rental capacity. The only guy I know who had one, had it in his museum, which he jumped through many hoops to get 'approval' for
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Why would they title a law call the Gun Control Act and include military vehicles?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 11-12-2009, 07:38 PM

Military vehicles have guns. Big guns. Big guns, automatic guns and armor. It scares the liberals to think of anyone being able to drive one around
Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 PM
IMFDB Admin

Does a HUMVEE count as a military vehicle? I mean, I get tanks, AFVs, etc but there are plenty of vehicles used by the military with guns attached to them. Take away the guns and you just got a big car.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Does a HUMVEE count as a military vehicle? I mean, I get tanks, AFVs, etc but there are plenty of vehicles used by the military with guns attached to them. Take away the guns and you just got a big car.
The Humvee is regarded as a TRUCK. Not a gun platform. It's like a JEEP. It's all about what the Government regards as a 'threat to the stability of the public' .... as if gang bangers would buy, restore and use a T-72.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

The ammo for the cannon would cost more than a truck.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits Americans from acquiring any military vehicle made after 1968. Anything made after 1968 must be built from other 'grandfathered' vehicles. The only exemption is a museum which had approval from the DOD and ATF. No one in the U.S. will get a T-72 in a rental capacity. The only guy I know who had one, had it in his museum, which he jumped through many hoops to get 'approval' for
Interesting, I did not know this. But then how did Army Trucks, Inc. get its T-55s? Were they imported before 1968? (that seems kind of hard to imagine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
The Humvee is regarded as a TRUCK. Not a gun platform. It's like a JEEP. It's all about what the Government regards as a 'threat to the stability of the public' .... as if gang bangers would buy, restore and use a T-72.
Even then...it's important to keep in mind that some of the "military" Humvees seen in movies are actually civilian H1s which have been made to look like HMMVs.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Interesting, I did not know this. But then how did Army Trucks, Inc. get its T-55s? Were they imported before 1968? (that seems kind of hard to imagine)
Note, that I wrote, MADE before 1968. We've imported Vintage WW2 tanks discovered in Europe in the last ten years for the obvious reasons that they were made before 1968. I worked on a Tiger tank that came from Yugoslavia that shipped to a private collector in California in the 1990s.