imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 04-14-2009, 02:17 PM

I don't like AKs cause they jsut won't shoulder or point well for me, rock solid they are though. I don't like glocks for many reasons

1. Boring and Ugly
2. Really weird trigger, I prefer a DA/SA then SAO then DA wheelgun, DA (or HALF-double action, as glockers always correct me) comes dead last.
3. Unconfortable grip.
4. Poor factory barrels, all the accurate glocks I see have aftermarket barrels and for that money you can buy a sig.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:36 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
You can fix one of the problems the Chauchat had with some tin and solder. Cover those holes in the mag would solve some jamming problems.
If you had to do a WWI movie which used Chauchats, would you do this in order to make the weapons function reliably? Even if it took away from the realism?

Of course, I can't imagine there are many Chauchats in armories, or movies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
If you want a great AK get one with a milled receiver. Early AR's are Great with the 1 in 14 twist barrel. The A2 you can throw that Marine Corp 800 meter rear sight in the trash. I like the M4 Carbine for a lightweight weapon and the FAL for a Battle Rifle with an 18" Barrel.
The one I own is stamped. I'm not the biggest fan of milled, even though the Bulgarians seem to like those better.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-14-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I don't like AKs cause they jsut won't shoulder or point well for me, rock solid they are though. I don't like glocks for many reasons

1. Boring and Ugly
2. Really weird trigger, I prefer a DA/SA then SAO then DA wheelgun, DA (or HALF-double action, as glockers always correct me) comes dead last.
3. Unconfortable grip.
4. Poor factory barrels, all the accurate glocks I see have aftermarket barrels and for that money you can buy a sig.
I actually don't know if the Glock's trigger is all that bad in DA. At least, I don't have a problem with it.

I do really hate the grip, though. I have yet to handle or fire a Glock with a grip I liked. Even the supposedly-better SF Glocks still suck. Right now, they're about to come out with the 4th Gen styling which has a different texture, and this is supposedly going to make the grip more comfortable. I highly doubt it; what Glock really needs to do is change the cross-section of the grip so that it's more circular and less rectangular.

As it is now (and as it's been for the last 25 years), the Glock's grip is basically not compatible with the contours of most human hands, especially mine.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Actually the French Chauchats were alot more reliable than most people think. The problems really came in with the American model in .30-06 - too much cartridge for the gun.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
If you had to do a WWI movie which used Chauchats, would you do this in order to make the weapons function reliably? Even if it took away from the realism?

Of course, I can't imagine there are many Chauchats in armories, or movies...
I think we would just at a piece of clear plastic in the opening. It would still look open but the actors would not be able to load the mag up with dirt.

There are a couple of Chauchats that I know of in the industry.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:10 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Actually the French Chauchats were alot more reliable than most people think. The problems really came in with the American model in .30-06 - too much cartridge for the gun.
That is true on the .30-06 model as it was not reliable as the French model. Pershing took away our Lewis Guns and issued French Chauchats to make the French happy. We could have used the Lewis instead of making a .30-06 Chauchats but did not due to politics.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The AR-15 is not the greatest wepon in the world, it's jsut used by the military, looks cool and gets the job done. Any attempts to surpass it are shut down by the pro-ar crowd and everyone with one believes it to be the ultimate gun in its class. Everyone gets biased to their guns. Look at pistols. Some say glock, some say 1911, neither will admit anything is better.
All firearms are recycled package from old designs. There really nothing new other then the material (cheap plastic) that is being used and the look of the new platform.

The AR15 is the best rifle in the world. It's not going to change anytime soon because firearms mechanical limitation is near or at it limit.

Quote:
I did not say the SCAR-L/MK16 Mod 0 was being adopted by the US Military. I said The SCAR system is coming on line right now for Special Ops and would be no problem to go system wide with it. FN has produced over 100,000 SCAR-L/MK16 Mod 0 Rifles to date for USSOCOM. The are competing for the Marine Corp IAR program at this time. So if this new ACR program coming up what weapons are going to compete and how do you know that the SCAR is not one of them? Also I would not count on Bushmaster to much they still have a big QA problem as the M4 in Orange County Sheriff Dept that came from Bushmaster are junk.
FN production of the SCAR started around six months ago and I really doubt they produced 100,000 SCAR rifles for SOCOM. The entire US Special Force is less then 15k IIRC. 100,000 is about half the size of the Marine Corp. 100,000 is 5 Army divisions.

If you're talking about the IAR program there are three companies that is on the finial list. Colt AR15 IAR rifle, HK416 IAR, and FN SCAR IAR version. The contract stated whoever the Marine choose, the manufacture will provided the rifles and price on the contract.

The ACR is Bushmaster entry to the future weapon program. ACR was designed by Magpul and it was originally called Masada. Bushmaster bought the rights for the Masada and renamed it ACR. Bushmaster delay the production of the rifle in order to figure out the requirements for the future weapon program. The Bushmaster ACR use an AR18 action and is not an AR15. I think HK416 will be in it. I am not sure if FN will reenter the SCAR in new competition. Colt will put their new version of the AR15.

Quote:
If you want a great AK get one with a milled receiver. Early AR's are Great with the 1 in 14 twist barrel. The A2 you can throw that Marine Corp 800 meter rear sight in the trash. I like the M4 Carbine for a lightweight weapon and the FAL for a Battle Rifle with an 18" Barrel.
The bullet has to weight 45 gr or less in order to stabilize at 1:14 twist. You're better off shooting .22lr at that twist rate on an AR15. The 1:7 twist allows the bullet weight to go over 80 gr. This provides better ballistic and accuracy. A2 rifles are use in long range precision shooting. Competitors using A2 iron sights hit the X mark the size of a CD disk at 600 yards over 60% of their shots.

Glock and 1911 dominate US handguns sells and completions. Glocks and 1911 are use the most in completions because of the triggers. Both are light and has less travel.

Last edited by jdun; 04-21-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
The AR15 is the best rifle in the world.
Bold statement there, Id take an FAL, m14 or in 556 even a sig 5xx series first.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 PM

You're crazy, the best rifle ever is the Colt 1911.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

RIFLE...not handgun. The 1911s are one of the best handguns in the world. Right now, I'd take an XD.

AR-15 designs are pretty good.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”