imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2013, 03:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I'm British and I didn't know he (Philip Winchester) was American before I read it, so I think so. The only thing I had seen him in before was Camelot, where he also played a Brit.
Watch any of his interview videos that are posted on Strike Back's Facebook page. You can hear him speaking in his native American accent. Watch this one, for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNSmNbM6IhM

Another bit of trivia: His first acting role (when he was 17) was as a militiaman in the Steven Seagal movie "The Patriot".
Old 09-09-2013, 03:18 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

So I've rewatched the new Robocop trailer. I think it has potential. It's a simple story which can be a good thing. If they focus on that tried and true story told countless time, it can be a good movie. I like how they got Gary Oldman in it but Sam Jackson is always going to play Sam Jackson.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Blood Dragon are both half off on XBLA this week.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://kotaku.com/if-you-thought-you...wer-1283993902

From just this trailer, Ghosts seems like it could just as easily just be a direct sequel to Black Ops 2 rather than the start of what I presume will be a new trilogy.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:09 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well they alternate developers every year and never had connected the alternating series. This year is Infinity Ward so instead of continuing the MW series, they op to create a new one....by first stealing a plot device from G.I. Joe Retaliation.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well they alternate developers every year and never had connected the alternating series. This year is Infinity Ward so instead of continuing the MW series, they op to create a new one....by first stealing a plot device from G.I. Joe Retaliation.
Oh I know that, I just thought it was odd how it seemed to correlate with the ending of BO2.

And if they ever wanted to do one huge saga, this would be the best time to do it, with the MW and BO trilogies now finished. I always thought it was a bit confusing that one franchise had two sub-franchises within. I think that was related to IW having most of the influence and not wanting Treyarch to cut in. Now that IW and Treyarch are now pretty much on par with each other, I don't know why they wouldn't just collaborate on one big storyline together while still alternating releases.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
And if they ever wanted to do one huge saga, this would be the best time to do it, with the MW and BO trilogies now finished. I always thought it was a bit confusing that one franchise had two sub-franchises within. I think that was related to IW having most of the influence and not wanting Treyarch to cut in. Now that IW and Treyarch are now pretty much on par with each other, I don't know why they wouldn't just collaborate on one big storyline together while still alternating releases.
I think it was probably for the same reason as the Metroid Prime games; if Treyarch's games turned out to suck, Activision could have just told everyone to ignore them.

To be honest I tend to prefer the Treyarch games; Infinity Ward want to tell Big Significant Stories but their actual game design tends to be a little tepid; Treyarch make Big Stupid Games which are about having fun. IW let me roll around on an Abrams firing a minigun for a few seconds, Treyarch gave me a T-34 with infinite ammo, a flamethrower, and a furiously overacting Gary Oldman riding shotgun.

I know which one I preferred.

Also, Treyarch have been trying to do that RTS minigame for the last two instalments, I'm kind of interested to see where they're going with that.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I think it was probably for the same reason as the Metroid Prime games; if Treyarch's games turned out to suck, Activision could have just told everyone to ignore them.

To be honest I tend to prefer the Treyarch games; Infinity Ward want to tell Big Significant Stories but their actual game design tends to be a little tepid; Treyarch make Big Stupid Games which are about having fun. IW let me roll around on an Abrams firing a minigun for a few seconds, Treyarch gave me a T-34 with infinite ammo, a flamethrower, and a furiously overacting Gary Oldman riding shotgun.

I know which one I preferred.

Also, Treyarch have been trying to do that RTS minigame for the last two instalments, I'm kind of interested to see where they're going with that.
I can understand Activision being a little gunshy about Treyarch after CoD3, but the WAW/BO trilogy was very well done. I remember explaining the CoD franchise to a buddy of mine and realizing how weird it was that the same franchise released vastly different games every year. I also like how Treyarch realizes it's just a game, and doesn't try shoehorning in stuff about duty and sacrifice next to a ham-fisted homage to The Rock

Activision just released an iOS app based on the Strike Team missions. I have their previous zombies game on my Android tablet. I've been hoping for a separate Zombies franchise since BO1. It sucks paying ten bucks for four new maps every time DLC rolls out since three of them are useless since I don't play multiplayer.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
I can understand Activision being a little gunshy about Treyarch after CoD3, but the WAW/BO trilogy was very well done. I remember explaining the CoD franchise to a buddy of mine and realizing how weird it was that the same franchise released vastly different games every year. I also like how Treyarch realizes it's just a game, and doesn't try shoehorning in stuff about duty and sacrifice next to a ham-fisted homage to The Rock
They do come up with some interesting stuff, but it's more in the sense of 'hey, think about this' than the self-conscious attempts to be sophisticated that IW is prone to. Like in World At War there's that section where you can shoot the Nazis in the subway entrance yourself or Reznov will have the Soviet soldiers burn them to death with Molotovs, and if you do the former then Chernov regards it as evil because he never saw the other option.

But Treyarch's more prone to trying things in gameplay, like the RTS segments, whole-campaign co-op in World At War and the multiple story branches in Black Ops 2. I think IW's been swallowed up by people who want to make movies rather than games. And spending two games obsessing over a character they included purely as a joke in CoD4 didn't help matters.

Quote:
Activision just released an iOS app based on the Strike Team missions. I have their previous zombies game on my Android tablet. I've been hoping for a separate Zombies franchise since BO1. It sucks paying ten bucks for four new maps every time DLC rolls out since three of them are useless since I don't play multiplayer.
I always figured the Strike Team thing was a Wii U gimmick, actually; having the tac map on the second screen would have worked really well, but I hear they didn't do that.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
They do come up with some interesting stuff, but it's more in the sense of 'hey, think about this' than the self-conscious attempts to be sophisticated that IW is prone to. Like in World At War there's that section where you can shoot the Nazis in the subway entrance yourself or Reznov will have the Soviet soldiers burn them to death with Molotovs, and if you do the former then Chernov regards it as evil because he never saw the other option.
I just remember playing that section and thinking "I'm playing a war crimes simulation." (And then at the end of the game, "I just helped drop the Iron Curtain. What the hell is wrong with this game?")

Quote:
But Treyarch's more prone to trying things in gameplay, like the RTS segments, whole-campaign co-op in World At War and the multiple story branches in Black Ops 2. I think IW's been swallowed up by people who want to make movies rather than games. And spending two games obsessing over a character they included purely as a joke in CoD4 didn't help matters.
What the hell, what happened to campaign co-op? I was so disappointed when I realized that BO didn't have it.

Quote:
I always figured the Strike Team thing was a Wii U gimmick, actually; having the tac map on the second screen would have worked really well, but I hear they didn't do that.
It's a shame they didn't incorporate that with SmartGlass. (I don't know what the Sony equivalent of that would be.)