imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 05-12-2009, 07:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Requiring Screengrabs to create a page?

I never thought I'd say it, but I was wondering about requiring that the creator of a page go through the trouble of SCREENCAPPING the movie. if they want to create a movie page. This goes for the 'drive by' anonymous users who create a sparse movie page and then move on without actually completing the page.

But we're also getting a ton of foreign films (a) none of us will never see (b) none of us will never screencap, thus those pages are destined to stay crappy looking forever, unless the person who is creating the page goes through the trouble of screencapping their own movie page.

Look at PhoenixEnt's pages. He was a new user and his movie pages were already exceptional. The screencapping work was 100% done before he even created the movie page, thus the pages had screencaps AND the movie poster ready to go. It's not that hard, and screengrabbing software is free.

I am tired of 'fixing' lame pages (and I've fixed A LOT on IMFDB over the months, considering those are movies I would not have uploaded myself initially) for foreign films and I was wondering if we could require some sort of standard if people really really WANT to have them represented on IMFDB?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 PM

Currently, I don't have the capabilities of decently screencapping movies (at least, not to the levels that some of you can). However, when I do an extensive edit to a page or create one, I take the effort to provide IMFDB links to the guns used and detailed descriptions (sometimes a little TOO detailed...oops) of the scenes they're in. I notably did this with the Die Hard with a Vengance page before the caps were finally added and I also did a pretty comprehensive edit of the CSI: Miami page sometime last year. With that in mind, I think that creating a page should have at least one of the two following:

A) Decent, clear screencaps from already-released DVDs or publically available trailers

AND/OR...

B) Detailed descriptions of the gun used, who uses it and in what scenes. Links to IMFDB pages of the gun and actor/actress are much preferred.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Currently, I don't have the capabilities of decently screencapping movies (at least, not to the levels that some of you can). However, when I do an extensive edit to a page or create one, I take the effort to provide IMFDB links to the guns used and detailed descriptions (sometimes a little TOO detailed...oops) of the scenes they're in. I notably did this with the Die Hard with a Vengance page before the caps were finally added and I also did a pretty comprehensive edit of the CSI: Miami page sometime last year. With that in mind, I think that creating a page should have at least one of the two following:

A) Decent, clear screencaps from already-released DVDs or publically available trailers

AND/OR...

B) Detailed descriptions of the gun used, who uses it and in what scenes. Links to IMFDB pages of the gun and actor/actress are much preferred.
I agree on most as I have applied it to the pages I have created. The scene info would be more clutter than it worth but linking the actor/actress page and weapon page is a must to be complete. Check out some of the pages I have created. Just following the guidelines that some of the admins showed to me when I first started.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 AM

Yeah, I'd have to agree.
The first page I created "The Club" is a 360 game which made it impossible for me to get screen caps. The page is pretty well useless mostly as a result.
Thankfully my work on John Woo stuff is much better.

Part of that might just be my pure enjoyment of seeing a page with tons of screenshots and text. Really is the most enjoyable reading experience.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree.
The first page I created "The Club" is a 360 game which made it impossible for me to get screen caps. The page is pretty well useless mostly as a result.
Thankfully my work on John Woo stuff is much better.

Part of that might just be my pure enjoyment of seeing a page with tons of screenshots and text. Really is the most enjoyable reading experience.
Well alot of anonymous users or noobs who create movie pages don't even bother to upload the POSTER or COVER (google is your friend). That's a minimum.

And a summary for a really obscure movie that no one has ever heard of would be nice.

Also, every user has the ability to paste the gun images from the gun pages onto their movie pages, so at least there are gun image graphics on their page. Again , no screen capping is needed for these steps.

It's laziness if they just make a few notations .... and nothing else. I'm tempted to DELETE the lame pages with the warning ("do it right or don't do it at all").....
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Its taken me forever to get the hang of screencapping, wondering, how do i load pics of guns already on the sight, just the firearm image.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 PM

k9870:
1:You first find the image that you want(ex: go to glock page, and click the image of the 17 becuase you wan't it)
2: Then when you are on the page that shows the picture and what pages link to it
3: You look in the address bar.
The end of the link should read ":IMAGENAME.IMAGEFORMAT"
for example ":Glock17.jpg"
4: Copy paste the from the : to the end, "Glock17.jpg" and then hit the imbed image button in the page editor.
5: Paste the words "Glock17.jpg" into the highlighted space.

That might not have been helpful. I could create a tutorial with images?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:53 PM

I did just do a glock 17, pic was massive....
Old 05-17-2009, 01:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

When you paste it on a page, it should say Image:Glock17.jpg. If you forget any part of the link it won't work right. Then put it in double brackets.

Since this link will make it a big image without control over the size add this after words:

[[Image:Glock17.jpg|thumb|none|400px|Glock 17 - 9mm.]]

This puts a thumb bubble over the image, controls whether it goes left, right, or nowhere (none is prefered as it doesn't screw up the page), 400px controls the size of the image (px always stays, but you can increase or decrease the size to 300px, 500px, 600px, etc.), and the final part is the caption for the image.

Hope I helped. I can't stress enough though that once you make pages, look at pages made by me, MT2008, and Speakeasy801, as they are a perfect example of how the format for page making should be on the site. This means not linking the gun page in the title, but in the description, adding a gun image so the page viewer can see clearly what the gun is said to be in the screencaps, and adding captions to the images (you don't have to add captions all the time, but none of the time kind of sucks because now you have an article with less to read, and I personally like to know what's going on if the movie is one I haven't seen).