imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 AM

Oh, goddamnit, I might have a problem. I still don't have the Sniders, but I came across an offer I couldn't refuse on a Chamelot-Delvigne Mle. 1873. It's registered as a .45, when it's actually an 11mm antique that's exempty from registration, so it'll be a pain in the ass to sort out, but it's also about $500 under the going rate so I'll take the hassle.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 AM

Had a few guns arrive recently:

The Belgian Mauser 1889/16 carbine came after some hassles with the transfer. It's really nice, and as a bonus, it's one of the contract pieces that was made abroad after Liege fell to the Germans in 1914. This is one of the ones made in Birmingham by a factory set up by the Belgian government in exile, they also had contracts with WW Greener and Hopkins & Allen in the US.

I also got the Sniders - I'm alot less pleased with these, the guy basically committed fraud. He told me they were Canadian marked, and they weren't. they both had several broken or missing parts. The guy had a good feedback rating, but apparently he screwed a few people over on this batch.

I ended up taking a few small parts of the action of the rifle (it was completely mismatched anyways) to get the carbine working. So now for $1000 I have a carbine with a broken butt trap and a complete fucked rifle I can hopefully sell as parts without taking too much of a loss.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:34 AM

Sorry to hear about the Snider rip off.
At least the carbine is decent.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

That sucks, sorry to hear that.

My dad has a couple of fully-assembled Snyder actions, but I don't believe he owns any fully-assembled 1853s. Then again, he never ceases to surprise me.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Still waiting on the Chamelot-Delvigne, thank you very much Canada Firearms Center, but I picked up a few new ones since:

This is of course a Remington-Rand (the typewriter company, not the gun company) M1911A1 pistol, made in 1945. What's neat about this, other than being another manufacturer to add to the collection, is that it was a lend / lease gun sent to Britain, mainly issued to Commando and Airborne forces before the Inglis Hi Power. You can tell from the British-style lanyard ring attached to the American loop.

This is a British-issued Smith & Wesson Military and Police in .38 S&W. May be Canadian marked, won't know till I get it. I already have a transitional model pre-Victory (don't like that term), with the 5" barrel and smooth grips, but this is a straight Military & Police with the 6" barrel and chequered grips.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I love British firearms. I have a Lithgow Mk III* (mfd. 1918) and a Webley Mk VI revolver. Now all I need is a Holland & Holland Royal Ejector Side by Side Rifle in .470 Nitro Express.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:25 PM

Very nice. My Lithgow is probably my most accurate non-sniper Lee-Enfield. Is your Webley shaved or still in .455?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Believe it or not it's still in .455 Webley. Picked it up at an auction last year. A local pawn shop closed it's doors after 47 years of business. The Webley was one of the really nice pieces that had been stashed away by the late owner. He would sell a couple of his really neat and expensive pieces every year. Along with the many Rugers, Hi-Points, Taurus,Stars, Astras and Rossis.

By the way I like Ruger revolvers so don't think I'm a snob. Well I have the tastes of a snob but not the bank account. Keeps me honest.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 AM

Very nice. Ever shoot it? I find them surprisingly accurate.

Nothing wrong with a Ruger revolver, they're built like tanks. If carry was legal here, and I was inclined to carry a revolver, it would probably be an SP101.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Very nice. Ever shoot it? I find them surprisingly accurate.

Nothing wrong with a Ruger revolver, they're built like tanks. If carry was legal here, and I was inclined to carry a revolver, it would probably be an SP101.
Yes I went to the local Cabelas and purchased two boxes of Hornady .455. Very expensive, but I couldn't find any of the Fiochi. I fired twelve rounds through it. Single and double action. 15 yards. All the bullets went into point of aim. Which was a challenge with the double action trigger pull. Wow.

It's a great revolver though. One of my favorites. Every time I pick it up I feel like I'm on an expedition in deepest Africa and Alan Quartermain and Tarzan have joined us as we look for the lost City of Anzibel.