imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 AM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
If I end up with a whole bunch of S&W Model 59 pattern magazines, I'm going to end up acquiring some more guns that take them, like a Kel tec Sub 2000, Marlin Camp 9, another 9mm Smith, Daewoo DP51, etc
You gotta give it to Smith for making the 59 series mags work in any generation. If I had the extra coin, I would get a 915 from the same seller that has the HP. He's got them for $250. I totally spaced out a few weeks ago and missed this killer deal on a 659. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=312494676

I wouldn't mind getting a Sub 2000 if the prices hadn't gone apeshit. I still got several Glock mags lying around.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:31 AM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
I wouldn't mind getting a Sub 2000 if the prices hadn't gone apeshit. I still got several Glock mags lying around.
It'd be a sweet truck gun, and if I had one, I'd get a few more Model 59 pattern 20 rounders to go along with it.
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
ColonelTomb ColonelTomb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 27
Default

Anyone going nuts before the very likely "Assault Weapons Ban" comes into effect? I'm looking into a Glock 21. I also have a feeling that I'll have my hands full reloading ammo over the next I-don't-know-how-long due to the inevitable shortages.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
k9870's Avatar
k9870 k9870 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,255
Default

i backordered pmags just in case. There are none around though, theres people who already have 50 mags buying more while newer gun owners are getting nothing.

What i dont get, is i couldnt find much ammo on shelves. Obummer may ban Assault weapons (unlikely it will pass the republican controlled house) but that wouldnt ban ammo. To me its just stupidity. Buy what will be banned, leave whats safe. Half the people panic buyng are buying carry handguns that cant hold 10 rounds.

worst case scenario is a ban happens and congress gets gutted at midterms like in 94.
__________________
"I don't need luck, I have ammo!"

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Yournamehere Yournamehere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Three Pro-Mag made magazines for my 459 / 6906
What predator20 said. Mec-Gar and factory are vastly superior to Pro-Mag. I'd go so far as to say your dad wasted his money if he paid more than 20 bucks a pop for them. Even getting factory mags isn't that big of a deal on Midway, or ones for the 459 on Gunbroker. It's not that hard to get a money order made to pay someone on GB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Guns sold. (S&Wshooter and Yournamehere are going to hate me)
Smith 4505, it was a tank and I'll likely never come across one again. But I like shooting my P220 better. Model 60, nice piece, but chewed my hand up. Prefer to carry and shoot the Kahr CM9. Model 64, it was DAO, got my Model 10.
I'm leaning more toward function over form considering my budget and that I'll be able to carry soon, and I've considered dumping my 92SB to fund a carry gun, so while it may have been a dumb move from a collectors standpoint, I understand and respect your decision sir. Now if you didn't make money on the black gem that is the 4505, then there's some concern there.

Oh yeah I took the course to get my permit. Gotta visit the FDOA and finish the process to get the card, and then sell either the 92SB or the Model 19 to fund a carry gun. Looking at a 6906 mostly for cost reasons, but it beats out my other choice, a P228, in that arena as well as finish and availability. I plan on perfecting it over time though as I'm not good on the mag disconnect, the bobbed hammer, the baseplates, or the grip.
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM
S&Wshooter's Avatar
S&Wshooter S&Wshooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Oh yeah I took the course to get my permit. Gotta visit the FDOA and finish the process to get the card, and then sell either the 92SB or the Model 19 to fund a carry gun. Looking at a 6906 mostly for cost reasons, but it beats out my other choice, a P228, in that arena as well as finish and availability. I plan on perfecting it over time though as I'm not good on the mag disconnect, the bobbed hammer, the baseplates, or the grip.
I'd recommend the 6906, but don't get rid of a Model 19 to get one. Mine feels, in size, "just right", and I'll probably start carrying it in my truck after I get more 9mm hollowpoints

I agree with you about not being "good" with the baseplates. I think it would be better if they were flat
__________________
Get off of my property


http://www.introvertisland.com

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 12-25-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 12-25-2012, 04:14 PM
predator20's Avatar
predator20 predator20 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I'm leaning more toward function over form considering my budget and that I'll be able to carry soon, and I've considered dumping my 92SB to fund a carry gun, so while it may have been a dumb move from a collectors standpoint, I understand and respect your decision sir. Now if you didn't make money on the black gem that is the 4505, then there's some concern there.

Oh yeah I took the course to get my permit. Gotta visit the FDOA and finish the process to get the card, and then sell either the 92SB or the Model 19 to fund a carry gun. Looking at a 6906 mostly for cost reasons, but it beats out my other choice, a P228, in that arena as well as finish and availability. I plan on perfecting it over time though as I'm not good on the mag disconnect, the bobbed hammer, the baseplates, or the grip.
Yeah when I sold the 4505, it was the only one I've made money on. Most of time I'm lucky to break even or lose a little bit. I would sell the 92SB to fund a carry gun over the Model 19. Even though the 92SB isn't that common anymore, there's plenty of the 92FS models out there if you want to get another later on. The Model 19 not so much.

In gun purchase news, got a Springfield M1A "Loaded" this past weekend. Hell of time to get one, since most mag suppliers are sold out. But was able to find a few to purchase that were in stock. Also able to get some ammo at an okay price as well, since nobody really likes to bulk up on 7.62NATO.
__________________
A man's got to know his limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 12-25-2012, 04:22 PM
SPEMack618 SPEMack618 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 742
Default

Pops gave me his Remington 1100 in 20 ga. for Christmas. He said he overheard my girlfriend talking about how she could never go skeet shooting or hunting with me because I didn't have a shotgun she could comfortably shoot.
__________________
I like to think, that before that Navy SEAL double tapped bin Laden in the head, he kicked him, so that we could truly say we put a boot in his ass.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Yournamehere Yournamehere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 912
Default

The reason I've considered the Model 19 over the 92SB is that Model 19s as a whole aren't as rare, and it's not practical for anything I'd do, nor is it the ideal collectors Model 19. It shoots good with the target trigger/hammer, but I never want to pay the ridiculous ammo bill for .357 Magnum, and I hate cleaning .38 Special rings out of the cylinder. As for collector status, it's not pinned and recessed, and even though the 6 inch barrel with the red ramp is rare, it's not quintessential like a 4 inch is. The long barrel makes it impossible to carry efficiently if I'm feeling wheelgunnish as well, and I'd be terrified of wearing the bluing. If I could do it over again I'd have bought a 4 inch Model 19-3 or 19-4 with the red ramp, or settled for a solid black front sight post. For a more functional revolver I would have gone for a Model 66 or early production 686, both of which are the most balanced in terms of practical use and collectibility.

The SB would be almost impossible to find again in any condition, though Predator is right on the FS front, and frankly the FS is way more quintessential and practical. But, as it stands, I can see myself taking the Beretta on a range trip (and I have since I got it) whereas I can't see myself taking the 19 (In the 3 years I was in Oregon, I never shot it due to cost reasons and inability to find 158 grain bullets to be on the safe side with the whole forcing cone concern).

All that said, I am still on the fence with it, and I do have a Hi-Power I could potentially part with as well... decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 12-26-2012, 12:12 AM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelTomb View Post
Anyone going nuts before the very likely "Assault Weapons Ban" comes into effect? I'm looking into a Glock 21. I also have a feeling that I'll have my hands full reloading ammo over the next I-don't-know-how-long due to the inevitable shortages.
I don't see the point on going crazy buying handguns before an assault weapons ban. The supreme court has already ruled that handguns are protected by the 2nd amendment.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.