imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
kennethrodriguez

Default What type of guns do the armed forces use to practice?

I've been watching alot of military shows and it looks like they're using airsoft guns, but when they shoot it gives off a crack of light. Is this due to the attatchment on the end of the gun? Is it not an airsoft gun? Could they be just firing blanks? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethrodriguez View Post
I've been watching alot of military shows and it looks like they're using airsoft guns, but when they shoot it gives off a crack of light. Is this due to the attatchment on the end of the gun? Is it not an airsoft gun? Could they be just firing blanks? Any help would be appreciated.
Really!?...you think the military would use airsoft guns...even for training? There real guns.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Yeah, actually some are using Airsoft to train. I was reading an article on it in Guns and Ammo

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 12-03-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Yeah, actually some are using Airsoft to train. I was reading an article on it in Guns and Ammo
Maybe ROTC

Just read the article and some do use them...but the guns the guy was talking about is the real guns they train with that make the end of the gun look like a rpg...the airsoft part will soon be a thing of the past once they perfect and get a budget for the ammo that shot a paint burst

Last edited by Spades of Columbia; 12-03-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Well sonny back when I was in the U.S. Army we used M.I.L.E.S. (Laser Tag equipment), real weapons with blanks and blank adapters, smoke grenades and flash-bangs.

P.S. Did I mention that was when men were men and women were still women.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:01 PM

my local police use smith and wesson autos (think 59s) converted to reliably shoot lower powered simunitions, but the service weapon is a usp45

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 AM

how do you use laser tag systems?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
P.S. Did I mention that was when men were men and women were still women.
Those were the days.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 12-04-2010, 01:20 AM

In my ragtag nasty guard unit we seldom use simunition rounds and I don't care about it really, because sim rounds are really unimpressive if you are doing anything other than CQB. During bootcamp the opfor "ambushed" us during FTX and they fired at us with sim rounds from their M4s, it was pathetic -they had to angle their M4s up like Mortars and the sim rounds still fell short of us and they couldn't have been more than 100-150 meters away.
Most of the time though we just put blank fire adapters on our M4s when we are practicing battle drills. We don't bother about "who hits who" because it isn't a game. We just run through the procedures.

I've always wanted to do MILES but everyone I've talked to only has bad things to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Those were the days.
+1

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 12-04-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:27 AM

I've used MILES, I wasn't all that impressed. Simunition, as AdAstra said, REALLY sucks at anything approaching range. HURTS up close though. Mostly we just use blanks, like he said it's more about the drills then who gets who.