imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 AM

Real suggestion? For a ZOMBIE apocalypse?
Hmm.

Well, I suppose I would kit out everybody I knew with a Ruger 10/22. There are a ton of them available, as well as ammunition. Form up an old fashioned firing line, and advance slowly, shooting the crap out of everything. If using the whole large group wasn't feasible, I'd probably take a group of 3.

Sidearms though... I just don't know. If I HAVE to...
I'm taking a 1911. Screw you Zombie literature, the 1911 would do the trick.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'd get an AR-15 with a .22LR upper or a .410 upper

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Markost Send a message via Yahoo to Markost Send a message via Skype™ to Markost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
If using the whole large group wasn't feasible, I'd probably take a group of 3.
Typical vietcong unit

Quote:
Sidearms though... I just don't know. If I HAVE to...
I'm taking a 1911. Screw you Zombie literature, the 1911 would do the trick.

I´d take one of this ^
Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Rifle size with pistol power......hmm.....not feeling it. I think a Phillips and Rodgers Model 47 would be quite practical.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:46 PM

I would avoid 22 lr handguns as they lack sufficient penetration through a skull at the angles encountered during an altercation (may not be 90 degrees to the muzzle). I would go for a high capacity 9mm handgun and specifically a Glock 17 9mm. A Glock 34 would work too (fyi.....I don't like the way Glocks feel). Reasons are 9mm ammo is available (for now), and more importantly parts/accessories are available/interchangable. The 9mm has the ability to penetrate the skull. For zombies "stopping power" is not an issue. It would for be for other normal people trying to steal your stuff or otherwise harm you. Beretta, H&K, S&W hi cap 9mm's would be fine as well, but lack the parts/accessories availability. I doubt handguns would be a primary weapon in this type of event, but spare parts is always a plus.

Revolvers for the most part would be out of the picture. The weight to firepower ratio doesn't make sense.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:21 AM
Yooka

Very interesting stuff, guys. I appreciate all of it. A few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I would avoid 22 lr handguns as they lack sufficient penetration through a skull at the angles encountered during an altercation (may not be 90 degrees to the muzzle). I would go for a high capacity 9mm handgun and specifically a Glock 17 9mm. The 9mm has the ability to penetrate the skull.
Really? Shows what little I know. Roughly speaking, how far is the maximum effective range for skull cracking with a standard 9mm round?

Quote:
For zombies "stopping power" is not an issue.
Wait, wait. Why do you say that? First off, according to the "general consensus" (and again, please don't think I get off on declaring myself the zombie authority here, if anything, I see it as pretty lame, but I do put in the time organizing that wiki, so gimmie come cred here), zombies not only need a headshot, they need a substantial portion of the brain to be mashed up. Zombies don't bleed out. Yes, I know there are some movies where they do. But the zombies that some great literature (and the next big zombie movie) is built upon is trying to make a slightly more consistent standard to try and recreate the George Romero slow lumbering zombie. So they have gelatanous blood. This allows them to be alot more durable. Sure, scientifically, it doesn't have any precedent. Bear with me.

Anyhow, for this discussion, please assume that the skull is just as solid as any humans, organs other than the brain are ornamental, hydrostatic shock, nerve trauma, and decomposition are total non-factors. So I'm thinking, even if a body shot doesn't kill it, at least if there is stopping power, they are knocked down, buying you more time (they are known to have awful balance and coordination, which is the main reason they are slow. In close quarters, they are just as feral and strong as an engraged pcp junkie, or something).

Quote:
Revolvers for the most part would be out of the picture. The weight to firepower ratio doesn't make sense.
Really? Doesn't the durability and reliability make them at least part of the discussion? I understand .45 is unwieldly, but maybe in a .357 or a .38?

Quote:
No, he did absolutely zero research, such as shown by him ranking the M1 carbine (which you'd be hard-pressed to find ammo for) so high.
Well, I agree alot of his firearms stuff doesn't fly with real authorities, I'm sure he tried. Without practical experience, and lots of access to experts, this stuff is very hard for a layperson to get a firm grasp on. Trust me. Gotta give him points for not endorsing the Desert Eagle, right?

Waita sec, you'd be hard pressed to find m1 carbine ammo? I could have sworn I read in the US military, it was widely available. Doesn't that mean it at least sells a little?

Last edited by Yooka; 01-23-2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: m1 carbine thing
Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 AM

.30 Carbine is available, just not in as high volume as others. I could walk into any gun store or ammo depot and find 9mm or 5.56, but I'd have to look around to find even 1 store that had a decent amount of .30 Carbine.

I tried to stay away from the discussion but it seems you all have come to most of the conclusions I have without my input, so I'll put some of mine in.

Revolvers are generally a no-no unless you are and were trained on them. While they have high reliability and commonality, the cartridges they fire are either underpowered (.38 Special) or slightly or grossly overpowered (.357 Magnum and .38). You can get some that fire intermediate calibers like .45 ACP but then you need a steady supply of moon clips just to keep the gun firing, when you could have just grabbed a Glock 21 or 1911 and have higher capacity with a reliability drop that would more or less go unnoticed.

Moreover .45 ACP is NOT unwieldly at all, anything beyond .357 Magnum in a handgun is more or less "unwieldly".

While it's not nearly my favorite "zombie movie", 28 Days Later has the most realistic depiction of infected. The source of the infected is a mutated virus, they don't require headshots, and their blood can infect you if it contacts open wounds, which makes sense. Most Romero movies leave no explanation for zombies or why certain people aren't infected. Basically, the Boyle (28 Days Later director) zombies leave less plot holes and are easier to defeat.

I'd carry either an M16A1 knockoff or M4gery or their actual counterparts if I can get them (maybe work in an 11.5 inch barrel somewhere), with maybe an ACOG. A plain jane AK-47 is fine too. My sidearm would be a Beretta 92 Series (I just got an SB!) or a Glock 17 if I want to conserve weight. I'd try to work in a light attachment if I could. In all honesty I'd try to assemble a team and a base where I could hold extra weapons for different types of encounters.

As far as headshots go, it seems like a traditional Achilles heel put into a fictional antagonist to allow some kind of source of defeat, but in reality it just makes them harder to kill, especially if they can run. I can see why it makes some sense and why it doesn't, so I'm not really going to say that a headshot should be the only way to kill one, but I'd certainly hope not, because it's a lot harder than the movies make it out.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 AM

have you seen quarantine?
scary as fuck if you watch it for the first time without anyone else. or anyone else laughing or making fun of it.
it depicts zombies really well too.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:06 AM

Slow zombies-
I'd just chiil out on my roof with my dad's H&K SL7 in .22 Mag with a cooler full of RC and cap zombies all day after boarding up the house with our hurricane gear.

Fast zombies-
Loot some supplies, board up my house, wait 2 weeks and then shoot the now half decomposed/starved zombies with my AR while sitting on my roof

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 AM

Oh, I forgot to add one little detail: I would do this while blasting heavy metal from my boom box

http://www.introvertisland.com