imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 01-28-2011, 01:31 AM

Default Something interesting about the Px4 Wiki page...

So I'm doing research on guns as I often do, and I decide to read up a bit on the Px4. Naturally, my first stop is Wiki since I know there's something about everything on there, but when I get to the page, I find something odd about the picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Px4_Storm.jpg

Link to page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_Px4

I know MPM2008 is very protective of his images, which is why I bring this up. MPM, did you authorize the usage of that, or post it on wiki yourself, or am I letting you know of potential compyright infringement? What's the situation buddy?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 AM

well check this one out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S%26W_M%26P_9mm.jpg

Looks tlike he's grabbed more than one image.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:36 AM

Ah, I was looking for more than just the Px4, I guess there are more. MPM needs to let us know what's going on, if he's having his work stolen, or if he's making Wiki gun pages sexier.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 AM

as the person who posted the images claims the images are theirs/public domain I have to say that the images are stolden.

PS: MPM has some wikipedia liscenced stuff and it's copyrighted to him and atributed to him.

Last edited by Rockwolf66; 01-28-2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: comment
Old 01-28-2011, 05:07 AM
Banned

This is one of those things that is really no big deal and nobody should care about it (for a variety of reasons) but knowing MPM (at least knowing him from his post history) he is not going to be happy about this.

MPM meltdown in 5...4...3...

PS: I can understand him being irked about this considering the massive amount of effort he put into those photographs, but hey it's the internet. Justified as he may be, realistically what can he do about it?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:38 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
This is one of those things that is really no big deal and nobody should care about it (for a variety of reasons) but knowing MPM (at least knowing him from his post history) he is not going to be happy about this.
Nice to know you think so little of theft of IP (intellectual property). Photographs are a BIG DEAL. Professional photographers have sued and received large settlements (but usually from large magazines etc.) On the net we need to keep some anonymous douchebag from claiming credit for something he had nothing to do with. Usually the photographer is happy just to have the image removed.

Quote:
PS: I can understand him being irked about this considering the massive amount of effort he put into those photographs, but hey it's the internet. Justified as he may be, realistically what can he do about it?
Actually the Wikipedia mods are VERY cooperative regarding PIRATED intellectual property. And no I don't melt down. Wikipedia has already requested and GOT some pics of rare items which they KNOW barely exist on the net. I may have to 'release' more IMFDB licensed images to 'help them out' and to also keep them beholden to keeping us HAPPY.

These pics were shot for IMFDB and IMFDB only. I think more than a few IMFDB members like the fact that we have so many images that no one else on the net has.

BTW, thanks to all for pointing out the pirated pics. Remember, the only people who don't think anything of image theft are those who don't create anything worth stealing themselves
Old 01-28-2011, 05:51 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
as the person who posted the images claims the images are theirs/public domain I have to say that the images are stolden.

PS: MPM has some wikipedia liscenced stuff and it's copyrighted to him and atributed to him.
Thanks guys. I reported the images to the Wikipedia mods. As I've said in the past, Wikipedia has been pretty good about not only deleting pirate images but BANNING the members who upload them.

Remember, WE'RE IMFDB. We must be gun sexier than any other site on the net!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default UPDATE: Wikipedia acts quickly :)

As I expected WIKIPEDIA immediately put a STOP to the piracy as I knew they would. Wikipedia's MODS are really diligent about protecting IP rights

Quote:
I have now marked the image for immediate deletion due to copyright violation. Additionally, I have isolated one more image uploaded by the same user and lifted from your site. I have also posted a stern warning on the user's talk page and alerted the administrators, asking them to delete all uploads by the same user:

OTRS has received notice (ticket 2011012810005509) from the original photographer that the copyrighted image Px4 Storm.jpg had been uploaded by User:Stockercd as his own. Further investigation shows that at least one more picture has been lifted from the original website (www.imfdb.org), which retains copyright. In addition to those two (which I have marked for speedy/copyio), the user has uploaded three more images, all related to guns. I believe it would be prudent to nuke those as well, as there seems to be a pattern of copy violations. I have notified the user.

Yours sincerely,
André Savik
Kudos to Andre and the others for being so diligent! And thanks to the IMFDB members who spotted the piracy to begin with.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
As I expected WIKIPEDIA immediately put a STOP to the piracy as I knew they would. Wikipedia's MODS are really diligent about protecting IP rights
Meanwhile this article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecation_postures

...goes marching on undeleted.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile this article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defecation_postures

...goes marching on undeleted.
why did you waste your time looking that up?