imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-06-2013, 09:21 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Hammond and Malcolm died in the book, and lived in the movie, so that's a tradeoff. And it'd kind of take away from the suspense if you could just shoot the dinosaurs wouldn't it? Halloween and Friday the 13th would've been over in minutes if Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees couldn't shrug off bullet wounds.
Well, still, I have a feeling it was more to do with the old slasher movie belief that monsters have a secret morality-sense and only kill people who offend it, so fluffy old Richard Attenborough doesn't get it but the lawyer, the fat obnoxious guy and the guy who wants to shoot the things trying to eat them do. It does get really stupid in the second movie where a bunch of trained soldiers with automatic weapons don't even manage to bring down one raptor and then a kid kills one using the power of gymnastics.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Well, still, I have a feeling it was more to do with the old slasher movie belief that monsters have a secret morality-sense and only kill people who offend it, so fluffy old Richard Attenborough doesn't get it but the lawyer, the fat obnoxious guy and the guy who wants to shoot the things trying to eat them do. It does get really stupid in the second movie where a bunch of trained soldiers with automatic weapons don't even manage to bring down one raptor and then a kid kills one using the power of gymnastics.
Hey, Sam Jackson got it too (or maybe he just got his arm torn off and survived) and his sin was ... chain-smoking? I'd really like to know if Hammond was scripted to die before they cast Richard Attenborough, or if they had to reshoot the ending later on so that he lived, because the film would've ended on a downer if a loveable guy like him had died. (Attenborough's very next role was Santa Klaus.)
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I'm fairly sure they re-wrote, because there's quite a few scenes which are supposed to establish Hammond as a control freak somewhere on the autism spectrum who doesn't understand people and wants something he can control every aspect of, but which are re-written to downplay what they're actually supposed to be showing. For example, as I recall the implication of the scene where he talks about getting the baby raptors to imprint on him is he isn't getting them to imprint on the people who'll actually have to work with them (which is getting them killed) and Nedry's supposed to have a much stronger case about how unreasonable an employer Hammond is (which they solve by just making him fat and gross). He's written more true to character in the script for Trespasser, weirdly enough, and Attenborough really nails what a broken and pathetic person the novel's Hammond is supposed to be under all his showmanship.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I'm fairly sure they re-wrote, because there's quite a few scenes which are supposed to establish Hammond as a control freak somewhere on the autism spectrum who doesn't understand people and wants something he can control every aspect of, but which are re-written to downplay what they're actually supposed to be showing. For example, as I recall the implication of the scene where he talks about getting the baby raptors to imprint on him is he isn't getting them to imprint on the people who'll actually have to work with them (which is getting them killed) and Nedry's supposed to have a much stronger case about how unreasonable an employer Hammond is (which they solve by just making him fat and gross). He's written more true to character in the script for Trespasser, weirdly enough, and Attenborough really nails what a broken and pathetic person the novel's Hammond is supposed to be under all his showmanship.
I read the book back when the movie actually came out so I don't really remember the nuances of the characters.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

My buddy and I beat Sniper Elite V2 over the weekend. It's a really fun game although the poor selection of weapons is a bit frustrating. You only get three rifles, three SMGs and three pistols unless you preorder and/or buy the DLC. Which is fine if you buy the game for $13 used like me, but would suck if you paid the full $60 for it. The K98k on the cover isn't even included, you only get that as a pre-order bonus.

There are three difficulties, and the shooting mechanics are modified for each one. I've only done the middle one, which has bullet drop but doesn't take wind into account. I'm a bit surprised they didn't account for trigger pull like MOH: Airborne did. It's the only game I've seen that in, and you'd think if any game was going to do it, it'd be a sniper game.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Basically Crichton plays it as morality-tale too, but according to his rules; acting like the park will function in any predictable way = die, be prepared for the worst = live. I think he kills off Malcolm because while he says everything's going to go wrong, he doesn't actually do anything much about it and goes along anyway. His Hammond dies having learned nothing at all and fantasising about starting up a new park, only to get et by compies thus showing that the very forces he tried to control etc.

Yeah, it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Still, Muldoon got to kill some raptors with TOW missiles, no three-week unfolding the stock of a SPAS death for him there.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 05-06-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:54 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Just saw Iron Man 3 and you would not see the villain twist coming.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

The villain knows the secret of why he's called Iron Man.

"Noooooooooo!"
Old 05-07-2013, 04:26 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cops...p-by-spike-tv/

Cops was still on? I still watch a few Fox shows, and I don't think I've seen a promo for Cops in the past decade.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/cops...p-by-spike-tv/

Cops was still on? I still watch a few Fox shows, and I don't think I've seen a promo for Cops in the past decade.
The bigger story is that America's Most Wanted ran longer than I ever thought it did, since I'm 29 now and haven't heard a promo for it since I was, like, 8.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman